how often do you weigh yourself?

Options
In the past when I've focused on weight loss, I've found that the more I weigh myself, the more obsessed/letdown/anxious I become. It seems when I've lost the most weight was when I weighed myself every few days but had to get measured/weighed when I belonged to Curves.

Just wondering how often you weigh yourselves?

Replies

• WashingtonGrown
    Options
    Too often, I think I should only do it 2-3 times a week but I have been doing it daily. I've become obsessed with it as well, but I do know that it will fluctuate so I take each weight with a grain of salt. I didn't take my measurements to start so I can't speak to that, but I should have!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, first thing.

*ETA* I don't obsess over losing the weight but I do find motivation when I step on the scale and I weigh less than the last time I weighed myself, even if it's only .2 lbs LOL.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh once a week............sometimes I have to weigh twice because I get so curious. I don't own a scale so it makes it easy to not do it everyday. I get to obsessed with it, and disapointed when I don't see good results.
  • DaveNix
    DaveNix Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Every couple of days, depends on my schedule.. I'm shooting for MWF.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Once a week and I'm VERY strict with myself. I see so many daily fluctuations reported on here and I'm afraid of getting obsessed :D
  • you_can_do_this
    Options
    I've found that once a week, on the same day/same time every week, is good for me. It keeps me from obsessing about the weight fluctuations that occur with water loss/gain over a 2 or 3 day period. I find once a week is more consistent with weight loss than if I were to weigh more often.

And having that set day each week gives me something to look forward to (or dread, depending on how good I've been...hehe), and knowing that I will have to step on the scale that day keeps me more motivated throughout the week.

Amber
  • lucy1508
    lucy1508 Posts: 10
    Options
    id weigh everyday if i actually thought it would change, But it wont that much so try to stick to weekly :)
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    i weigh myself every single time i go to the bathroom. and i keep a log on how much my weight fluctuates on a daily basis. usually a 2lb. range. for me.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I don't hang all my hopes on that the number will keep going down every single day. I keep track of it to see the normal fluctuations. Now that I know my usual pattern, I can know when to expect a loss and when to let it slide if it goes up 1/2 or 1 pound. This also helps me see that if there isn't a loss when there should be, I need to kick up my workouts a little bit and watch closer what goes in my mouth.

Don't let the number get you down. Remember to take your measurements periodically. I forgot for a couple weeks and got a big surprise :happy:
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing in once a week but I now find myself weighing in every couple of days only to get discouraged at a weight gain or staying the same weight as before. I am now considering only weighing in once a month so that I will be motivated by a larger weight loss number rather then a smaller one like I would typically see with a once a week weigh in.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    once a week is good for me.i do it on sunday morning i notice if i weight my self in pm it says its much higher then first thing in morning.
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week in the mornings.
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    I weigh first thing every morning - I've always been against doing that, always thought it was best to only weigh once a week maximum - but what I've found personally is that, whilst it can be disheartening to weigh every day - when I don't - I gain weight - I have to keep the whole job of losing weight right at the front of my mind every day or else I slip back into bad habits!

http://dizidaisy.wordpress.com/
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Once a week. On Sunday when it's my turn to get up with Munchkin, so it's at the same time of day (6:30am).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm at a healthy weight. I started weighing everyday and learned my fluctuation patterns. It goes up on the weekends (I don't always log weekends and do use weekends to treat myself. I'm also lazy on the weekends. I don't consider the increase a fat increase because you have to eat 3500 calories over what you would normally eat to gain a pound). By Wednesday it's back to normal and if there is a loss it will show up between Thursday and Saturday morning. I'm 123 and have seen it go as high as 129 (this was at night). It actually helped me get over the number obsession. If you are weight lifting you can see an increase because you are gaining muscle yet your body fat could be dropping. And that's what we really want. Not necessarily weight loss but fat loss

There are so many factors than can change that number, not just fat increase.

I do it every morning after I pee and with no clothes on.
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    I was weighing myself twice a day to watch fluctuations, but got obsessed with it and was told to stop by my counselor and personal trainer. Harder than it sounds, but it worked. I weigh myself mid-day Fridays before my training sessions and it has become a source of inspiration to work hard for the next weigh in. It can also be a letdown of the whole week of hard work, but it is only for one day instead of every day (or twice a day!).
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have weighed-in on the 1st and 15th of the month. I am doing a lifestyle change, not a diet, and I WILL NOT step on the scale everyday for the rest of my life!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    once a week, 1st weigh in tommorow
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Every morning and sometimes at night. I am obsessed with it! But I don't let it get me down in fact it enourages me to keep going!
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wow..weighing myself daily would probably depress/disappoint me..lol. I think weighing yourself on a more often basis is more important when you are maintaining so you keep yourself in check. However, while losing weight I only weigh myself once a week, every Tuesday morning. Once that is done, I 'hide' the scale so I am not tempted.