Zumba

Options
Hi,
Is anyone out their doing the Zumba workout. I have been told its great and want some feedback.
Classes everywhere now I hear and you can get it as DVD or Game, Please let me know if you have tried it?

Replies

• stephboyd90
    Options
    hey i go to zumba on a tuesday its fantastic u feel great after it tired but great lol its so much fun and i have it on dvd and try to do it everynight its a laugh and u can really go for it with ya friends its all salsa latin hip hop and sexy moves but funny ones its brill i would recomend it to everyone of all age x
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba 3-4x a week in classes and I'm a total addict. I started in late January and have gone down 1 size. I wear my Polar HRM and burn between 500-700 calories each time. Last night I burned 728.
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply,
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun and def a calorie burner! Be sure to keep your effort and energy up throughout the entire session!!!!
  • GoGettmGirl419
    Options
    Zumba is great..I go twice a week and I do kickboxing as well
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!! Although lately I've learned that the classes are quite different depending on the instructors. I prefer the instructors that have a dance background as opposed to a fitness background. I usually burn about 600 calories an hour.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I go to classes and I have the game for Wii, both are fun, but the atmosphere of the classes is something I think I would miss with just the game.
  • catwoodard
    catwoodard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the dvds and use them 4 or 5 days a week. I LOVE them and wish they were a little longer, which is highly unusual for me.
  • kellymcnulty26
    Options
    I go twice a week while at work and 5 times a week when off work - totally love it. Best workout without much knee pain (I have dodgey knees from a trampolining accident) Feel great after the workout and it is slightly different each time so you feel that your body is getting a good workout as it's not getting bored.
  • funluvsweetness
    funluvsweetness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun and a great workout! You don't have to be a perfectionist at dance... the idea is to "move fast and have fun"! I try to Zumba 6 days a week when my schedule isn't hectic. I've been doing Zumba since this summer and now lost 38# total (along with other exercise and appropriate calorie intake). It takes a few classes to learn routines - the instructors don't call out queues like in a step class - so don't get frustrated at first... keep going and it will come to you! My goal is to become a Zumba instructor - I love it that much!
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, it's a good workout. I feel like a nerd doing it, but I have the DVD's and do it at home. Its definately a good workout though. It took me about a week to get the steps down, and go fast like they do......it's worth a try. I'm not the dancing type, but it's fun, my son does it with me. (or pretends too) lol! I noticed a change in my mid section after doing it for a couple weeks.
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do Wii Zumba every night. I started 2 weeks ago. It is challenging for someone with very little coordination but I am getting better! My clothes fit a little looser and my arms feel like they are toning. I don't wear the belt that came with the game because it kept falling off.
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am an instructor, so I am a bit biased. It is a great workout. I do other things, because it is not an exercise fix in and of itself. It is a great cardio workout to break up the monotony of your routine. I tend to think people lean a little too heavily on it for total fitness though.
  • DeterminedMomNeb
    Options
    I just got Zumbe from a friend and I am loving it. Have fun when you exercise that is what this is..
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I try to do it once a week, as a mix-up from other work-outs. It does depend on the instructor though - there's one I avoid cos she doesn't explain technique very well, I feel she's making it up as she goes along, and sometimes she'll do something on the right but not do the left, so I worry I'll end up lop-sided!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I'm also a Zumba instructor (hi sl0327!) and as someone who comes from no dance background at all, I absolutely love it! I may not have the best dance moves out there, but i bring it to every class and have a blast! Zumba is a great workout and definitely breaks up the monotony of your workout! Keep in mind that every instructor is different, so if you try one Zumba class and don't like it, don't be afraid to try another!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am an instructor, so I am a bit biased. It is a great workout. I do other things, because it is not an exercise fix in and of itself. It is a great cardio workout to break up the monotony of your routine. I tend to think people lean a little too heavily on it for total fitness though.

I do Zumba 3-4x a week but I also work with a trainer 2x a week and do c25k 3x a week--but I'm a bit crazy like that...However, I don't understand your comment.

For those that don't exercise regularly, any activity that will burn 500+ calories is a good one. If you mean in it's best to do in conjunction with weight/strength training I would agree...but doing zumba a few times a week for cardio is fine. I see no difference between doing zumba a few times a week vs. getting on the treadmill/ellptical for cardio. What am I missing?
  • bap25302
    bap25302 Posts: 4
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!! ITS FUN, AND IT BURNS THE CALORIES FAST!
  • bap25302
    bap25302 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm also a Zumba instructor (hi sl0327!) and as someone who comes from no dance background at all, I absolutely love it! I may not have the best dance moves out there, but i bring it to every class and have a blast! Zumba is a great workout and definitely breaks up the monotony of your workout! Keep in mind that every instructor is different, so if you try one Zumba class and don't like it, don't be afraid to try another!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES ARE BURNT DURING ZUMBA?
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES ARE BURNT DURING ZUMBA?

It depends on your age/weight/height and how hard you work. I'm 5'6" and 195lbs - as an instructor, my HRM tells me I burn about 950 calories for an hour. It really depends though! My friend who I co-teach with is 5'8" and 228 and she burns around 1100 an hour! If you're smaller, you'll burn less - but again - a lot depends on your intensity level too :)