Not hurting after workouts - Should I be concerned?

Options
I know this probably sounds weird, but I'm concerned because I'm not feeling a lot of pain after working out, and I'm wondering if that means I'm not working out correctly or intensely enough. A little background, I've never been an avid exerciser. Since I gained weight, my activity level was very minimal when it came to working out. I've been watching what I eat and exercising for about three weeks now. It's mostly low-impact stuff, like pole and chair classes, but there's a good bit of ab work involved. I've also done crunches, lunges, aerobics, etc. and some time on the elliptical machine. However, I'm not feeling much of a "burn" in the days following my workouts, even though I usually have in the past.

It may be important to note that I take supplements now: a multi-vitamin, glucosamine chondrointin, fish oil, flaxseed oil, cinnamon, CLA, B complex, calcium +D, and C. Could that have explain it? I know I should be glad that I don't have pain after working out, but it makes me wonder if my workouts are really effective. Thanks!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Delayed onset muscle soreness.

It can take days to set in. When you are working out, your body releases stuff that dull pain and makes you feel good. As it wears off you will start to get sore.

It occurs differently for different people. I usually feel very little for 2 days then BAM!!! THERE IT IS!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Going from a non exerciser to working out you should feel a bit of muscle soreness until you get used to what you are doing. Perhaps you should evaluate your intensity. Any exercise if good but for it to be the most effective you need to elevate your heart rate, which makes you huff and puff and you should feel your lungs burning a bit if you are working at a good intensity.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    once you get use to the same exercises you will not get that soreness. It is recommend that you change up your routine (exercises) every 4-6 weeks, this will keep your muscle shocked and when you change you will probably be sore for the first few days of the new program.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't generally feel sore after workouts since I started drinking a protein shake immediately after working out. I do "feel the burn" when I'm lifting heavy weights and sometimes during my high intensity intervals on the arc trainer, but I haven't been sore after in a while.

You shouldn't ever feel "pain" after working out, but soreness is common. If your body is used to working out you may not feel anything and that's fine. If you're doing mostly cardio, which it sounds like you are, there isn't any reason you should feel sore afterwards. The soreness generally comes from lifting weights because of what it does to your muscles. It doesn't tear them exactly, but it works them in a way that they need to seriously repair themselves and until they've recovered you have soreness.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do not like stuff that makes me hurt afterwards hahah but what I do now which is Leslie Sansone walk at home and im losing weight everyweek with her and I never hurt. If I hurt, then I wanna quit haha but this is just me. I wouldnt think you had to hurt to know your losing weight or doing it right. Good luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I think your suspicion that you could be working at a higher intensity or work out for longer is probably correct.
  • dwithd
    dwithd Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you lost weight? You should definitely increase your intensity, you may not feel as sore if you drink a lot of water but you should be able to feel like you worked out yesterday..Muscle soreness lasts up to 72 hours and the best cure is to go back in the gym and drink lots of water..Good luck!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would need some footage of the pole exercises to make a good determination =). I think its more are you physically unable to keep going when your done? Thats how I gauge it. If you feel you could do the same workout back to back you may need to push it more.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 6 pounds in 3 weeks, probably a combination of diet and exercise. I definitely feel like I've worked out, but I guess I'm just used to being uncomfortably sore the next day or two. Thank you all for your help and advice!