What to do with back pain?

Options
Hello folks,

So I recently got into a car accident which I have not stopped whining about. And after a healthy round of feeling sorry for myself and compensatory overeating, I am now somewhat ready to get back into the swing of things. I have realized that laying in bed all day feels great on my back until I have to get up and do something, and I definitely hate not feeling a burn in any of my muscles.

Sooo....what do you folks who have minor-moderate acute or chronic back pain do for a good sweat and burn?

I was thinking recumbent bike to start but I can only do so much of that before I want to shoot myself from boredom.

Replies

• velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would also look into exercises to (re) strengthen the muscles in your back.

I was hit by a car while on my bike - which messed up my back - was seeing a chiropractor 3x a week - 2 years ago, I joined the gym to lose weight, but had to spend the first 6 months doing mostly strengthening exercises before I could "exercise".... it might make weight loss slower - but it will be worth it in the end (I no longer see a chiro, and have only had one incapacitating spasm in the last 1.5 years).

Good Luck!!!!!
  • douglw
    douglw Posts: 25
    Options
    I used to have some nasty back pain when I was younger, and it mostly went away when I started lifting weights. It came back to a much lesser extent when I slowed down on the weights, but is now completely gone thanks to abdominal exercises. If you are able, I recommend a good ab workout twice a week.

Before you start on that path, you should really make sure it's OK with your doctor. Depending on what state your back is in, this could do more harm than good. Make sure you're doing only exercises that are blessed by a doctor or physical therapist.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease and yoga has been great for me. I hear pilates is good just be careful with that one. I started with aqua aerobics to be honest. My best friend and I joined a gym and we started with aqua aerobics with a little zumba. I couldn't get thru a full class at first, but you have to keep with it. I just ran...like was RUNNING on a treadmill...yesterday. Stick with it, start slow and don't push yourself too much. My back pain is really severe sometimes, but yoga and swimming has helped tremendously. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I had to jump start my diet and exercise is because my back pain was just getting worse with the pounds I had packed on. No better day than today! Good luck to you!
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease which ironically enough has gotten worse in the amount of time it's taken me to loose 70 or so pounds....I try not to let it get me down and I push through the pain. I love the elliptical but have been sticking with interval training on my treadmill for convenience these days. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but my replying helps me to keep myself motivated eventhough I hurt all day everyday...:sad:
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello Randy. I have suffered from chronic back pain for years after a car accident and several injuries as a firefighter/paramedic. I have several bulging discs and one that ruptured. It took months of babying my back and lying around and I gained about 80 pounds. I was afraid to do anything. The chiropractor helped some. But I finally got tired of being fat, sick and tired. I slowly started taking short walks to the mailbox down the street. Then I steadily increased it to walking around the block. I soon started water aerobics and that helped me get started. I slowly started lifting weights again after I felt my back start to strengthen. I'm now doing circuit training and getting more and more flexible. My back isn't 100% yet, but I can honestly say that it is stronger. Just be careful not to try to do too much right away. Allow your body to heal. Follow your doctors advice. Good luck to you. Just remember never give up on you, you can do anything once you set your mind to it.
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is start off slowly and listen to your body. Make sure to ice your back for 20 minutes after you workout session.

I had 2 discs slip in my back 2 years ago and was not able to move for 4 months. I did water therapy to heal the injury, but still have chronic back pain. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I am no stranger to pain at all, as my entire body feels like the flu on a daily basis.

That being said, I think that you should try some water aerobics, it is fantastic for back injuries (I used to be a certified instructor) you can workout longer as there is much less pressure on your back because the water makes you boyant and takes the gravity (weight) off your back, walking is good, recumbant bike, and possibly the eliptical trainer (make sure not to bounce). Put some great music on your ipod and go to town. Stretching is always important, maybe some tai chi or light yoga moves for balance and core work, and light weight training to build back the muscle. The stronger your core (abdominals) the better off your back is going to be. Maybe talk with your doctor to find out exactly what your limitations are, and to see how hard you can push yourself. I know after my back injury was healed, it was my mind that kept me from working harder and not so much the actaul capabilities of my body. I was afraid of feeling that kind of pain again, as it was excrutitaing.

Best of luck to you, I hope this helped somewhat.
    Kim
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had severe back pain from a pinched nerve in after being pregnant. I went to the chiropractor, which I highly recommend, and he also told me to tighten my abs when I get up or down. I try to do it when I do anything now. It seems to take a lot of pressure off of my back, literally and figuratively. Hope you get work it out! :)
  • esq2man
    esq2man Posts: 30
    Options
    Would the recumbent bike work with with Wii Fit jogging and the remote in your pocket? It usually works by jogging in place.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have lost 51 pounds doing the recumbant bike. The trick is to do something else while you pedal. I have mine sitting in front of the tv, so if I watch tv... I am pedalling too. I think whatever you use, if you listen to your body you will be fine. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'd start with a doctor visit, and maybe see if you can get in for some physical therapy. A good PT can both make it feel better short-term, and also help you learn exercises to restore good function. From there, you can start strengthening still further (assuming your doctor okays it). I have a relatively minor mid-back problem, but once in a while, it throws me for a major loop. Since I started strengthening my core (after PT), I've had a lot less "warning pains" that presage a true attack. When mine's bad, I literally cannot draw a full breath for minutes at a time, and have to do short rapid breathing. My last true attack led to spasm that lasted days - and is part of my motivation now for doing everything I can to strengthen my muscles!