Reebok Zigs

Options
LBATL
LBATL Posts: 76 Member
I'm always looking for better running shoes. I have a tendancy to get shin splints and have been reading up on the Zig line from Reebok. Anyone wear these? How has your experience been with them? Some people swear by these shoes but I noticed a few people commenting on durability issues on various review sites which concerns me. I'm just wonder if anyone on MFP has any feedback on them. I'm considering either the Zig Fuel or Zig Pulse II.

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the Zigs specifically, but I stopped buying reeboks several years back just because they don't hold up well. My kids would wear them out in a matter of weeks, and my husband has worn his out much too quickly, too.
  • kpovich
    kpovich Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm glad you started this thread and I'll be interested to see what people say.

We bought a pair for our 11 year old son and he loves them... but that's a whole 'nother animal. :) A friend of mine said she LOVES hers... comfortable and supportive all in one.

Not sure about how they hold up though. I can say from my son wearing them that they seem very durable... and he's very hard on his shoes. I'm surprised they've had bad reviews as Reebok is usually a durable product.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Well.. I have the older version of the shoes... I absolutely love them... I have had them since christmas and have had no durability issues. I have worn them alot, and am beggining to think I may need a new pair pretty soon (but note a) Im picky about my shoes looking dirty and b) I am EXTREMELLY hard on my shoes.) I recently bought a pair of Nike Free's just because. I have wide feet and the Nike's are a tad too narrow for me. When I get some more money I will definitally be investing in another pair of Reebok Zigs... I love these things.... Easilly the most comfortable sneaker I have ever worn.... (REALLY!!!)

~Nisha Rae

Edit: Just a quick note: from what I can tell I have the zig fuel (bigger zig's on the bottom) ummm also I love them for running and actually zumba for that matter.... As far as if you need traction you might be better off with a different sneaker..... for example trying to do wall sits in a gym with these.... is funny...... I slide down the wall alll the time.. but I LOVE them for running!
  • LBATL
    Options
    Well.. I have the older version of the shoes... I absolutely love them... I have had them since christmas and have had no durability issues. I have worn them alot, and am beggining to think I may need a new pair pretty soon (but note a) Im picky about my shoes looking dirty and b) I am EXTREMELLY hard on my shoes.) I recently bought a pair of Nike Free's just because. I have wide feet and the Nike's are a tad too narrow for me. When I get some more money I will definitally be investing in another pair of Reebok Zigs... I love these things.... Easilly the most comfortable sneaker I have ever worn.... (REALLY!!!)

~Nisha Rae

Edit: Just a quick note: from what I can tell I have the zig fuel (bigger zig's on the bottom) ummm also I love them for running and actually zumba for that matter.... As far as if you need traction you might be better off with a different sneaker..... for example trying to do wall sits in a gym with these.... is funny...... I slide down the wall alll the time.. but I LOVE them for running!

Thanks so much for your feedback. I see in your signature that you are turning into a runner :) Do you feel less stress on your legs when you run in them? I'm really hoping to reduce the stress on my shins.
  • LBATL
    Options
    Nisharae - Thanks for the edit! :) I'm mainly looking at them for distance running. I do take some classes that involve intervals that alternate between running and strength training but the shoes I currently have are fine for short distances on the tread during class.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Go for them!! They are the best shoe available right now to help with the shin splints! Just by their design that sole takes the energy you create when you make impact with the ground and does 2 things with it 1)dispurses the energy through the lebgth of the shoe eliminating major pressure points and 2) gives back energy in the form of propelling you forward to your next step.

As far as your durability concerns... those are reffering to the first few models realsed (zigpulse models 1 and 2)... the material of the uppers on these was a weakly biased mesh that would tear under certain movement of the shoe. This problem has been eliminated in newer models and we have not been seeing the same issues in the new styles (zigflow and zigsonic) of the two currently I prefer the zigflow ans the materialsare softer on the tongue...

Hope this helps!!
  • reslere
    reslere Posts: 7
    Options
    If you have a dedicated running store near you, I would recommend having them "fit" you for the right shoe. My local store observed my stand, run, and walk, and then they offered two shoes that would fit me the best. I have always been a Brooks fan for running, and they put my in Asics. I must say, they fit my foot (high arch, etc.) much better!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I was looking for some new shoes, and a friend of mine said he and his wife love theirs. So I just ordered some today.
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Zig Pulse II for c25k and Zumba and love them!
  • LBATL
    Options
    If you have a dedicated running store near you, I would recommend having them "fit" you for the right shoe. My local store observed my stand, run, and walk, and then they offered two shoes that would fit me the best. I have always been a Brooks fan for running, and they put my in Asics. I must say, they fit my foot (high arch, etc.) much better!

I did go to a running store and went through the whole fitting process. I'm a neutral runner and I ended up with the Asics Nimbus 12. They were good for awhile but now that I'm running longer distances they don't seem to be doing the trick anymore. I even bought a new pair thinking that my first pair were just worn down. I also tried the Asics Cumulus because they were a little less expensive and more cushiony in my opinion but they were even worse after a long run. Right now I have the Nike Pegasus (also recommended by a fitter) and they're awesome for short distances but after awhile they start to rub the ball of my foot. I guess it wouldn't hurt to go back and get refitted by someone else.
  • LBATL
    Options
    Go for them!! They are the best shoe available right now to help with the shin splints! Just by their design that sole takes the energy you create when you make impact with the ground and does 2 things with it 1)dispurses the energy through the lebgth of the shoe eliminating major pressure points and 2) gives back energy in the form of propelling you forward to your next step.

As far as your durability concerns... those are reffering to the first few models realsed (zigpulse models 1 and 2)... the material of the uppers on these was a weakly biased mesh that would tear under certain movement of the shoe. This problem has been eliminated in newer models and we have not been seeing the same issues in the new styles (zigflow and zigsonic) of the two currently I prefer the zigflow ans the materialsare softer on the tongue...

Hope this helps!!

Thanks! Very helpful :) Going to check out the ZigFlow now...
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options

~Nisha Rae

Thanks so much for your feedback. I see in your signature that you are turning into a runner :) Do you feel less stress on your legs when you run in them? I'm really hoping to reduce the stress on my shins.

Ha trying very hard to.. Running my first 5k in April.. Recently ran 3 miles in just over 31 minutes which for where I started isn't too bad... Would like to make that a bit shorter by April though... Anyway for your question.... Running in them is really comfy for me.... And Im still pretty heavy for a runner @ 185 currently... I feel like Im running on a giant cushon... B/c I just started running, i dont have much to compare to, but even the other day I was running in my Nike free's and while they were light and flexible, the comfort was no where near the zigs.... I dont feel much stress in my legs at all when I run in them.. Hope that helps...

;)
  • myrabarlow
    Options

Hope this helps!!

FYI: Tracie is a shoe professional for a major retailer in the country for over 6 years. Her knowledge is solid.
  • nantzh
    nantzh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If the shin splints are your main concerns i beleive what you need is arch support. This is reaching back 5-7 years to a kinesiology class in college, but i believe your probelm is your arches. You can try taping them, and i have found that the sock i wear makes a big differnce. Dont buy cheap socks to run in, buy a good quality sock with built in arch support.
    I made the mistake last week of running one day with an old pair of socks and my shins killed me. I usually wear socks with arch support and never have a problem.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for better running shoes. I have a tendancy to get shin splints and have been reading up on the Zig line from Reebok. Anyone wear these? How has your experience been with them? Some people swear by these shoes but I noticed a few people commenting on durability issues on various review sites which concerns me. I'm just wonder if anyone on MFP has any feedback on them. I'm considering either the Zig Fuel or Zig Pulse II.

And what in the world made you think these things would be a better running shoe???? :huh:

These shoes scream "gimmick shoe for gullible people" at you.

Go to a local marathon and look what the first third of the pack run in and I would promise you that you will not see a single credible proper runner wear these.