20 Best-Kept Nutrition Secrets - #11 I found interesting

Options
Choose Rye (Not Wheat) Bread for Breakfast
Swedish researchers found that rye eaters were more full 8 hours after breakfast than wheat-bread eaters, thanks to rye's high fiber content and minimal effect on blood sugar. As a result you'll want to snack less and eat less for lunch.

Here is the whole article if your interested. :)

http://fitbie.msn.com/eat-right/tips/20-best-kept-nutrition-secrets/tip/0

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to me. Even as a Paleo Plan eater, Mark Sisson recommends giving up grains, but if you have to have some bread, he suggests Rye bread.

Too bad I don't like the smell or taste of Rye bread............BLECH!!!
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Sunny_Lexie Posts: 114
    Options
    Actually I take oatmeal for breakfast: way better than corn cereal and stuff like that for feeling full! But I'll give this type of bread a try...
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a great thing for breakfast.. love it with all different fruit etc but I LOVE LOVE Bread and RYE bread so I was very intrested when I read that. :) Def looking at the rye bread next time I'm grocery shopping.
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rye!! (but only slathered with swiss cheese, sauerkraut, 1000 Island Dressing, and extra fatty corned beef)! :laugh:
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rye!! (but only slathered with swiss cheese, sauerkraut, 1000 Island Dressing, and extra fatty corned beef)! :laugh:

OOOO I love Reubens too! And have to say I have indulged in the Corned Beef special (which is reuben with cole slaw not saurkraut) twice in the past four months from a great local deli. I have dressing on side and only put a tiny smear on and eat 1/2 the sandwich at a time. You can eat these types of foods occasionally but obviously CB is not the healthiest meat and really high in sodium. Oh and I have been losing weight steadily so it is not interfering with that!

As the article says - you can still have a splurge occasionally and in moderation.

Fortunately I do love rye bread but I usually buy the whole wheat from a local organic bakery that has a super small ingredient list. No mysteries in that bread!