Whats the honest way to track waist measurment

Options
By honest I mean, honest to self. Do I relax abdominal muscles all the way before measuring? Do I tighten them? Do I suck it in as much as I can?

The point being that from one week to another I want to see the inches lost from fat, not from me sucking in the stomach more or less.

Replies

• knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I always suck it in. I don't know if that's the most "honest," but if I suck in every time, I figure the loss will be accurate. If I'm relaxed, maybe I'm more or less relaxed this week. Maybe I'm not standing up straight--how do I know. So I do my best to make it little, then I measure it with my thumb inside the tape, figuring that will add a touch that maybe I'm overdoing. Like I said--no clue if that's the right way to do it.
  • Capucine72
    Options
    I always suck it in.:wink:
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Relax completely, but stand as tall as you possibly can, like there is a string on top of your head that someone is pulling. Make sure you are consistent in measuring in the same location everytime from the smallest part of your waist.

...and now I looked at your profile and see you're a guy, lol, but you should still relax and stand tall while measuring.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    measure exactly the same every time, and even if the numbers are not 100% accurate the loss will be because you're not changing your methods :smile:
  • trex_drapes
    Options
    My husband caught me on this one...

I used to measure in the crack of my"back fat"...which landed about two inches above my navel...so bad!

Now, I measure at my belly button. It's the only way I can know that I am measuring in the same place everytime.

I wouldn't dare add any objects (i.e., thumbs underneath)...there's plenty there already :)
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    relax your body=true at rest measurement
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    i measure at my normal position, that is to say how i hold my waist during the day all day.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Doctor Oz.. (whom I love) says to suck in when measuring... a healthy waist is 30 1/2 inches...

I personally just tighten my muscles ever so slightly.... I dont' like to relax because that is not how I walk around all day. I don't walk around relaxed (I got in an accident years ago, and my personal trainer said that to strengthing my stomach and back muscles I needed to pull in all my muscles and walk around with a flexed tummy) so its almost natural for me.

But I measure with my muscles tightened.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to take a proper bust measurment? Do you measure at the fullest part or under, where that band size would be?
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I was measured at work (for a weight loss competition) and when they wrapped that measuring tape around me, they pulled it tight! At home, I just keep relaxed.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to take a proper bust measurment? Do you measure at the fullest part or under, where that band size would be?
    The measurement around the band would be for your back. The bust would be over the fullest part of your breasts with a proper fitting bra on.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I'm relaxed when I take my measurements. If I'm following my measurements when I want to order some clothing, let's say, why would I want the sucked in measurement? Then the waist would be too tight on the clothing.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The measurement around the band would be for your back. The bust would be over the fullest part of your breasts with a proper fitting bra on.

Thank you! :smile: