If you are confused about portion amounts.. (i.e. 3 grams of

Options
Hey there!
I used to be confused when it came to how much food to log. For example, I wasn't sure how much chicken was 3 grams of chicken. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it confused me. Then, I found this:

http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/servings/table_of_contents.htm

It helped me get a better view of how much I am really eating. So, I figured I would post this to help out anyone else who may be confused about serving sizes. If it doesn't do anything for you, my apologies. lol

<3

Replies

• olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    Awesome!! This will definitely help me! Thank you!
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    Very helpful...thanks for sharing :)
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks! But I use a digital food scale :)
  • hma2012
    hma2012 Posts: 34
    Options
    I don't have a scale. lol
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    Going to take a look at this later! Thanks!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    lol, I always try to visualize my glass measuring cup. This will be handy but I really need to buy a scale.
  • Takotorau
    Takotorau Posts: 28
    Options
    This is awesome! Great link, very helpful thank you. :smile:
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So neat! Thanks for posting! :)
  • 2blossom
    2blossom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've been wondering what one or two ounces of cheese look like.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I just got a kitchen scale, but don't use it all the time. This info should help when I'm lazy about weighing my food... thanks for sharing.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Remember that the gram is a unit of mass, not volume, so the number of grams in a tablespoon or teaspoon will depend on the density of whatever you're measuring. There will be more grams in a tablespoon of muscle than a tablespoon of fat.

Remember also that the word "ounce" can refer to a unit of weight or a unit of volume, and that a fluid ounce doesn't necessarily weigh an ounce. Again, it depends on density.

Here's a site I've found useful: http://www.metric-conversions.org/
  • EvanR
    EvanR Posts: 17
    Options
    Not dumb at all! I couldn't even begin to wrap my head around what a gram of something looked like, so I usually tried finding a second entry for foods that had an easier measurement, haha.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, now I'm even more confused - why would they use a mixture of oz and grams? One is an imperial measurement and one is metric. That is just odd.

And since when do 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon?
    I think Australian measurements are different to US

On the other hand, the visual guide was helpful - I don't often weigh things so it is helpful to have this kind of visual image.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    this is excelent!! thanks:D
  • dltldisney
    Options
    Thank you! This is very helpful.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, now I'm even more confused - why would they use a mixture of oz and grams? One is an imperial measurement and one is metric. That is just odd.

And since when do 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon?
    I think Australian measurements are different to US

On the other hand, the visual guide was helpful - I don't often weigh things so it is helpful to have this kind of visual image.
    Probably measurements are quite different between Australia and US, here 3 teaspoons has always been equal to 1 tablespoon. ;-)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ...here 3 teaspoons has always been equal to 1 tablespoon. ;-)

Yep, that's always been true, but the fact that 12 paper clips... urr, grams, are equal to one tablespoon was news to me. I have seen evidence of that sort of thinking behind some of the nutrition panels on products in my kitchen, though. Where serving sizes are given in both weight or mass units and volume units they often don't seem to have a whole lot to do with each other.