How much am I really burning on the elliptical?

Options
So, I keep noticing that when I workout on the elliptical or treadmill at the gym I get different readings for my calories burned compared to when I log it on MFP.

For example, yesterday...
35m on elliptical
208 calories burned

When I go to log it in I get...
35m on elliptical
472 calories burned

Obviously I changed it to what the machine I had worked on said. But, am I doing something wrong here? Should I be going by what my machine says or what the website tells me?

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The MFP database VASTLY overestimates elliptical burn.

The only way you know for sure is training with a HRM, but your gym machine is likely to be more accurate than the database here.
  • jessica6335
    Options

The only way you know for sure is training with a HRM, but your gym machine is likely to be more accurate than the database here.

Thanks! I was figuring that the site was overestimating a lot of workout! Now I don't feel so bad :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

The machine should be more accurate but only if you put in your age, and weight, otherwise it is basing your burn on an "average" person that may or may not be as fit or the same size as you.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What they have here in the site is more than likely just an estimate.

How much you actually burn will depend on how fast you are going, how long you go, and what your elliptical "level" is. It would probably be tough to put in all of those variables into MFP so they compromised and just put in an average value. To keep better track it is probably best to keep track of what it showed on the machine.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I usually adjust the time on the MFP log so the calories match the machine reading also. :) An HRM is on my shopping list for the next 10 days though!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I find that the maching over-estimates the calorie burn as well. I worked out on the elliptical and the machine says I've burned 600 calories, but my HRM says I've burned 525...
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Body Bugg and to my shock and horror the machine readings for me are generally 30-40% HIGHER than what my Bugg says I am burning. I won't even say how high MFP is compared to the Bugg's readings! Get your HRM soon. That's the best indicator.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A HRM is the only way to go!! :smile:
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i go to www.healthstatus.com it has a calculator you put your weight in and find ellipticul and it tells you a general of what u burned!!!
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options

Not always true. For me, it was underestimating my burn (increasingly more inaccurate with longer workouts).

But, yes, HRM.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It underestimated my calorie burn. I do the aerobic setting for about an hour and burn well over 800calories (i have a HRM)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I burn about 10 cals a minute, so 30 mins = 300 calories. MFP overestimates (as does pretty much everything other than a heart monitor) :flowerforyou:
  • Lacy1981
    Lacy1981 Posts: 6
    Options
    Does the elliptical at your gym have a heart rate monitor? I use the monitors on the elliptical at my gym that allows me to enter my weight and age too. It calculates about the same. Good luck!
  • pebbles9723
    Options
    i go to www.healthstatus.com it has a calculator you put your weight in and find ellipticul and it tells you a general of what u burned!!!

I don't know about that! That calculator just told me I burned 979 calories , which is even more than MFP told me (781) ..I'm pretty sure both are nuts! lol