Chili Recipe Ideas...

Options
It's getting cooler now and my wife wants to make chili again. Nothing like eating a bowl of good chili (with or without crackers) on a cool night, watching a good movie or football game. Back when Monday Night Football was still on this was a common meal item that night. Anybody have any good chili recipes or variations? We usually use ground beef with plenty of beans. I like my chili hearty, you know thick .
It's hard enough to come up with the nutrition values, especially calorie count. I think this time we will try ground turkey.

Replies

• toddtwo
    Options
    It's getting cooler now and my wife wants to make chili again. Nothing like eating a bowl of good chili (with or without crackers) on a cool night, watching a good movie or football game. Back when Monday Night Football was still on this was a common meal item that night. Anybody have any good chili recipes or variations? We usually use ground beef with plenty of beans. I like my chili hearty, you know thick .
    It's hard enough to come up with the nutrition values, especially calorie count. I think this time we will try ground turkey.
  • jillb2727
    Options
    Easiest recipe I've every found!

Ground turkey or really lean beef
    Ortega or Ole El Paso Chili seasoning
    1 jar mild (or medium) salsa
    1 can kidney beans

The recipe is found on the back of chili seasoning packet I think.

Its the best! And very low in fat!

I usually brown the meat then add everything to the crockpot. Put it on low & its perfect for dinner!
  • paynk77
    Options
    black bean and pumpkin chili
    1 onion
    1 yellow pepper
    3 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cups chicken broth
    2 can black beans rinsed and drained
    2 and 1/2 cups cubed cooked chili
    1 can pumpkin
    1 can diced tomaots
    2 tsp parsley flakes
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tep cumin
    1/2 tsp salt

saute onlion, pepper and garlic transfer to slow cooker withh remaining ingredients cover and cook 4-5 hours. 1 cup equals 192 calories, 5 grams fat, 21 carbs, 7 fiber, 16 grams protien
  • jillb2727
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like it would be delicious!
  • AJneuro
    Options
    1-1.25 lbs extra lean sirloin steak (cubed for stew)
    1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed for stew)
    3/4 c chopped yellow onion
    1 med red bell pepper diced
    1 med green bell pepper diced
    2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes
    2 cans kidney beans (drained)
    1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
    1 pkg slow cooker chili seasoning packet (lawry's or mccormicks or generic brand)
    Worstechire sauce
    chili powder
    crushed red pepper.ground black pepper

Brown sirloin in skillet with chopped onion and worstechire sauce (to taste) -- cook meat to desired doneness-- drain
    Brown chicken in separate skillet with green and red peppers until chicken is cooked through--drain
    combine all ingredients in slow cooker -- add chili powder, blck and crushed red pepper to taste -- cook on low 6-8 hours
    serve with fat-free shredded cheddar and corn bread!
  • rv8396
    Options
    You might want to check out

www.sparkrecipes.com .

You'll find all sorts of recipes there, along with a recipe calculator, and its free. I'm going to try a black bean chili that sounds great to me (&family). Good Luck.
  • greenbaum9
    Options
    This recipe is from 'THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION LOW-SALT COOKBOOK, 3rd edition":

SERVINGS 4
    SERVING SIZE= 1cup:heart:
    PER SERVING 340 calories, total fats- 10.5 g., cholesterol- 75 mg., sodium - 225mg., carbohydrates27 g. - fiber-7 g. sugars 9 g., protein = 31 g., calcium-99 mg., potassium-824 mg.,
    Dietary Exchanges= 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 31/2 lean meat

1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 - 2 Tbs chopped fresh jalopeno (wear plastic gloves when handling peppers and do not touch face) peppers
    14.5 oz. can no-salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained ( I used spicy diced stewed tomatoes with salt)
    15 oz. can no-salt-added pinto beans, undrained (I used a can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed)
    1/2 cup water, plus more as needed
    1/4 cup stout or beer (regular, light, or non-alcoholic)
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 Tbs. Chili Powder-no-salt-added or homemade (recipe follows)
    3 Tbs paprika
    2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    1tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    in a small bowl, stir together these ingredients til well blended Store in jar with tight
    fitting lid up to six-months
    makes 1/4 cup

2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper 1/8 tsp cayenne

Heat a Dutch oven over high heat. Cook the beef for 3 - 4 minutes, or until brown, stirring frequently.
    Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate. Drain fat from the Dutch oven and wipe it with paper towels. Return the beef to the Dutch oven.

Reduce heat to medium-high. Stir in the onion and jalopeno peppers. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, or until onion is soft, stirring occasionally.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water as needed for desired consistency.