Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits!

Options
Monroe121
Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
I am a FAN of GRITS, so I am going to try this tonight! It's from the HEALTHY section of foodnetwork.com! Let me know if you cook it and how it turns out!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/lemon-garlic-shrimp-and-grits-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
3/4 cup instant grits
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
Directions
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, if using, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.

Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.

Per serving: Calories 367; Fat 12 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 309 mg; Sodium 904 mg; Carbohydrate 26 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 34 g

ENJOY!

Replies

• lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Funny - I actually printed this recipe out this past weekend but haven't made it yet. You'll have to let me know how it turns out. I too am a fan of grits but its carb content keeps me away most of the time.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This sounds so delish!~ I will definately be tryin this recipe! TY
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - looks wonderful! :wink:
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a FAN of GRITS, so I am going to try this tonight! It's from the HEALTHY section of foodnetwork.com! Let me know if you cook it and how it turns out!

I am a HUGE fan of grits too and recently tried this recipe for Mardi Gras dinner. Delish!!!!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/shrimp_cheddar_grits.html
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    this recipe kicks *kitten*....
    you can make substitutions for the sauce on the shrimp.....to suit your taste... (or calories.. I use a light smoked cheese blend from Trader joes, and bacon bits...or no bacon.... Also... I steamed fresh sweet potatoes in a ziploc steam bag, and mashed with a little veggie stock.)
    Either way, its gonna be great.

Shrimp and sweet potato grits

Shrimp and sauce:

2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails off or on)
    1/4 C. unsalted butter (melted)
    1/4 c sweet chili sauce
    1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tsp sriracha
    2 tsp creole seasoning
    1 garlic clove (minced or pressed)
    Sweet potato grits (recipe follows)
    4 strips bacon (crumbled) for garnish
    4 thyme sprigs for garnish

Preheat oven to 350
    in mixing bowl combine butter, chili sauce, worcestershire, lemon, sriracha, creole and garlic. Toss shrimp in mixture.
    spread shimp and sauce in a single layer. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until shrimp is pink.
    Turn after 8 minutes.
    Spoon grits into serving platter, top with shrimp and sauce. Garnish with bacon peices.

Sweet potato grits:

1 c. quick cooking grits
    1 can of sweet potatoes drained and mashed well (I use princella 13.5 oz)
    2 tbs butter ( I use a little more)
    1 tsp salt
    fresh pepper to taste
    1.5 cups of shredded smoked gouda
    1 tbsp fresh thyme for garnish

Cook grits according to directions.
    Stir in mashed sweet potatoes, butter, salt pepper...cook over med-low heat till heated through. Stir in cheese and thyme.