What to do with an avocado??

Options
Hey,

I've never done anything with a freah avocado before, but my landlord just came back from the farmer's market and gave me what he says is the "perfect avocado". Since it's ripe and ready for use, can anyone suggest a use for it?? On a scale of 1 to 10 as a cook, I probably don't rate higher than 3.

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've never done anything with a freah avocado before, but my landlord just came back from the farmer's market and gave me what he says is the "perfect avocado". Since it's ripe and ready for use, can anyone suggest a use for it?? On a scale of 1 to 10 as a cook, I probably don't rate higher than 3.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Mmmmm, my favorite! Here are some suggestions:

Chop it up and put in in a salad.

Slice it and put it on a sandwich or burger. (Turkey, bacon, swiss, tomatoe, and avocado is a great sandwich! Use turkey bacon to save on calories.).

Mash it up and make guacamole! Here's my recipe: 1 tbls fresh salsa (I make my own), 1 teaspoon sour cream, sprinkle of garlic salt, 1 mashed up avocado. Mix all ingredients until fairly smooth and enjoy!

Chop it up and sprinkle it into soup or chili. Its particularly good in coconut milk based soups, and (my favorite) white bean chili. Here's a quick white bean chili recipe: 1/2 lb ground turkey or chicen, 1 onion chopped, 1 bell pepper chopped. Saute aforementioned ingredients together until veges are soft and meat is almost cooked through. Add 2 cans white beans and 1 can chicken broth, 1 teaspoon cumin and garlic salt or regular salt to taste. Simmer together. If you have them on hand, add a small can of green chilies or chopped jalepenos. Garnish with sour cream and avocado!
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and avocado sandwich...
    Ok this might have a little more calories than you would want, but I love avocado on my sandwiches.
    here is how I like it....
    toasted whole wheat sub roll, grilled chicken breast, sliced tomato, sliced avocado, green leaf lettuce
    dijon mustard and light mayo...OMG YUMMY! :tongue:

But they are good in a salads as well, with some black beans, low fat shredded cheese, diced tomato and a fat free ranch dressing.

Have fun with your avocado and enjoy!
  • muskratface
    muskratface Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem just this week! What to do with so much delicious avocado? I just mix it up with diced tomato and onion, a squirt of lime and a little sea salt and garlic powder for guacamole. Yum!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Mash it in a bowl with a fork with salt, pepper and maybe a little salsa. Spread on toast. (my favorite, I grew up in California and I got this as often as PB & Jelly, no salsa then though)

Slice and put on a turkey sandwich.

Put it in a salad.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i eat avocado plain! or slice it up inside the skin, add a little balsamic vinegar, and eat with a spoon. mmmmm.... avocado..... (drool)
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i eat avocado plain! or slice it up inside the skin, add a little balsamic vinegar, and eat with a spoon. mmmmm.... avocado..... (drool)

You just barely beat me to it! Was gonna say; eat it on its own!! Avocado is delicious...even by itself!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Mash it up with a little salt, cumin, and olive oil. Spread on whole wheat bread and enjoy!

If you are feeling a bit :devil: , then I would slice the avacado and a tomato (on the vine), add Havarti, Gouda, cheddar and bacon in a whole wheat sandwhich. Grill in a panini pan and enjoy!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options

You just barely beat me to it! Was gonna say; eat it on its own!! Avocado is delicious...even by itself!

:laugh: my husband thinks its weird that i'll just eat it plain! glad i'm not the only one out there!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I love it sliced on grilled chicken sandwich with red onion and light mayo
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks, guys for all those great suggestions! I'm gonna try about 3 of them (1 for every "point" I gave myself for cooking skills...LOL). I already tried it with olive oil and cumin mushed on Wheat Thins. And yes, that was a winner.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm about to make some guac myself!

I do:
    avacado, fresh lime juice (one lime for every avacado), chopped red onion, chopped tomato, salt and pepper.

I also love it with tuna! Some tune, sprouts, avacado.... yum yum yum....

:tongue:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that once an avocado is sliced open that it doesn't keep (even if you try lime juice on it and whatnot)... so, when you slice it open plan on using the whole thing that same day, otherwise you may be throwing some away.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Keep in mind that once an avocado is sliced open that it doesn't keep (even if you try lime juice on it and whatnot)... so, when you slice it open plan on using the whole thing that same day, otherwise you may be throwing some away.

I find that if I drench it in lime juice, it keeps for about two days (48 hours max), and doesn't brown (I use about one full lime juiced for every avacado - it does make a strong lime flavour, but it's the only way I've found to make it keep in the fridge without browning!).
    :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I like to spray a pan with Pam, use a quarter cup onion, half cup chopped tomato, a cup chopped fresh spinach, about a quarter or half cup of red and yellow peppers. Then add 1/2 cup black beans and sprinkle with cayenne. After I dump it in a bowl, I chop up 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado on the top. Sometimes I also melt cheese in it, but it depends on my mood. I know it sounds like a lot of food, but those veggies shrink when they cook!
    Robin
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Love fresh avocado. I personally love them in salads or sandwhiches. Sandwiches being my first choice. I put some mayo on the slices of bread, slice of cheese, alfalfa sprouts, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. MMMMMM very yummy. They are also great in a salad to or made into a guacomole with some fresh salsa.

Enjoy:drinker:

ps. After you take the skin off you can use it on your hands or face and in makes them feel really soft. And you get to be the green giant for a little bit lol I always loved that as a kid.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites....that I learned from an old college roomate that was from Mexico.

Some delicious whole wheat bread (the REAL stuff), a small amount of mayo (like 1 tsp), few slices of low sodium deli thin ham (smoked is my favorite), thin slice of mozzarella cheese, slices of avacado, little bit of mustard.... HEAVEN!

*** I introduced this to my mother and father by using a loaf of multi-grain french bread. Making a "giant" sandwich and then slicing it up.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    some interesting ideas here...:drinker:
  • lhammerlift
    lhammerlift Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cut it in half, pop out the pit, remove the skin and its ready to eat...plain with sea salt, with rasberry vinegar or cut it up and put it over eggs, your salad or put it in your wraps. I also use it as the "fat" for my tuna fish salad.
  • AJCM
    Options
    cut it in half, pop out the pit, remove the skin and its ready to eat...plain with sea salt, with rasberry vinegar or cut it up and put it over eggs, your salad or put it in your wraps. I also use it as the "fat" for my tuna fish salad.

Thanks for the idea about using it as the fat for tuna! We don't eat eggs or dairy, so that makes a great mayo substitute!
    :flowerforyou: