Walking Calories.

Options
Okay, so these MFP estimated calories are making me wonder if they are correct. I'm scared to eat all the calories back. I don't have a heart rate monitor, so I can't be exactly sure on the burn. However, I went to this site and found how to calculate walking calories. I'm not saying it's accurate, so here's why I'm posting it. What do you know about it? This is what I found.

"The following information was compiled from a couple of different fitness sites supporting personal trainers and fitness programs. Remember, these are all averages and are based on weight (in pounds) and the speed at which you are walking. For example, according to my information if you weight 175 pounds and you walk at an average speed of 3 miles an hour, you will burn about 5 calories per minute. That means 30 minutes of walking will burn 150 calories and if you walk 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, you will burn about 750 calories per week.

So based on your average weight and walking at a speed of 3 miles an hour, you will burn calories at the following rate:

* 130 to 140 pounds - 3.5 calories burned per minute
* 145 to 155 pounds - 4.0 calories burned per minute
* 160 to 170 pounds - 4.5 calories burned per minute
* 175 to185 pounds - 5.0 calories burned per minute
* 190 to 200 pounds - 5.5 calories burned per minute

For every ten pounds or so more you add, you burn an extra .5 calories, so based on that, someone who weights 235 pounds would burn about 7 calories per minute if they walked at the same rate. If they walk 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, they will burn 1050 calories per week. " --http://fitness.families.com/blog/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-while-walking

Input?

Replies

• Marlys101
    Marlys101 Posts: 100
    Options
    I also notice that at the Y my calories burned are a lot less than what populates on MFP.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This fails to take into consideration Heart Rate, and fitness level. The more you do the same exercise the less you will burn doing the exact same thing for the same amount of time. Your body adjusts and becomes more efficient (needs less calories to do the same thing) Also calorie burn has to do somewhat with Heart Rate, the more fit you are the lower your HR becomes meaning you will burn less calories if you are in better shape, regardless of weight.

So if you always walk you will be hit with this double whammy. You will burn less as you body gets used to walking and you will burn less as you get in better shape as your HR will be lower. So the numbers you have are estimates and may under estimate a beginner but over estimate someone that has been doing it a while.
  • poohkrazy05
    Options
    That is why I try to stay under my 1200 calories and then walk for a hr at 3.0 per hour so if the calories burned are not correct I still am at my calorie goal of 1200. I have a new treadmill with a heartrate but was not sure how accurate it was so it is easier for me to stay just at my calories. And it is slowly taking of the weight.
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of those totals but am including another web site you can visit for many different activities and the calorie deficit for them.... http://www.primusweb.com/cgi-bin/fpc/actcalc.pl
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am 190 & walk for a lot of my exercise (at 3 mph) and MFP says that for 30 minutes I burn 142...your calculations say I burn 165 so MFP is lower/more conservative (& I'm fine with that :)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This is why I consistently try to add time, speed & intensity to my walks as well as throw in some other exercises once in a while. Still LOVE walking!
  • Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    Does it take into consideration the speed you are walking? I tend to walk pretty fast and my HRM says I'm burning more. I don't totally trust it and since MFP calculates lower, I usually go in the middle of the two. It also didn't sound like it takes into consideration walking on a treadmill vs. walking outside. Bumpy terrain, walking in the sand, and walking against the wind could also lead to a higher burn than what they are estimating.
  • Beach_Chica
    Beach_Chica Posts: 111
    Options
    Does it take into consideration the speed you are walking? I tend to walk pretty fast and my HRM says I'm burning more. I don't totally trust it and since MFP calculates lower, I usually go in the middle of the two. It also didn't sound like it takes into consideration walking on a treadmill vs. walking outside. Bumpy terrain, walking in the sand, and walking against the wind could also lead to a higher burn than what they are estimating.

It's based on walking at a brisk 3mph walk. Just an average calculation. From the article, I'm going to say it's on a normal road.