Mindset change that I noticed

Options
So, I know this is not a huge hoooray or anything but this is kind of a big thing for me..

My wife is pregnant and having crazy cravings for beef and other things that I do not want to eat and a month back or so I would have just caved and put away a big ole burger or 2 with some fries and why not add a shake to that. Last night she was crazing a burger and I went to pick one up for her and I realized I have absolutely no desire to eat that food anymore. I do not want the greasy fries or anything, the smell of it made me remember the lethargic bloated feeling I would have after eating it and I do not miss it. This to me is a success, this really helped me realize that my body is changing.

Replies

• dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    That's just fantastic!! Way to go. I just ask myself if I want to do the extra exercise to burn the extra calories....the answer is always no.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    WTG!

There are days the smell of people eating fast food at work makes me completely nauseous. But, I must say, I'm dying for a Sausage McMuffin from McDonalds. That was my go-to breakfast before I started this whole thing, and have been craving one terribly.

My hope is that when I finally DO have one, that it won't taste at all like I remember it, and I'll be over the craving for good. :)
  • kountrygrl27
    kountrygrl27 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That is wondeful!!!
  • Amandaje
    Amandaje Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Awesome!!
  • Joaninha777
    Options
    It's not a little thing, it's a huge thing! Temptation has to be one of the HARDEST thing about a life change...so kudos to you! And remember you have worked and are working way too hard to give it up all for just one burger. My mom got me into this gross yet realistic mindset...a burger/fries is only good while entering your mouth, because then food all goes to one place and comes out of one place LOL
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great job realizing the progress, even if not on the scale, it is almost more meaningful!
    I know what you mean about the smell of french fries...to me it just smells gross. Every now and then I think I could eat a nice crispy one. Cheers! Great luck with the new baby!!
  • IdaMoreno38
    IdaMoreno38 Posts: 105
    Options
    How FANTASTIC. I feel the same way. As our stomachs shrink our minds transform to know what's good and what's not. Good Luck!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So true! Good job on changing your habits to a new lifestyle. it's better than being on a 'diet'.
  • maurita17
    maurita17 Posts: 11
    Options
    That is awesome!

That is a struggle i am working on. Fast food was my go to lunch for so long.
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    Good for you!! I know you are proud of yourself.
  • bryantraymond
    Options
    This is an awesome Quote.. Im going to use that one
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is a huge victory! A coworker brought fresh donuts to work this morning and I didn't have to leave the room in order to resist. My only thoughts were "Yuck, those are going straight to their hips and stomach!" Continued good luck to you!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So, I know this is not a huge hoooray or anything but this is kind of a big thing for me..

...I do not want the greasy fries or anything, the smell of it made me remember the lethargic bloated feeling I would have after eating it and I do not miss it. This to me is a success, this really helped me realize that my body is changing.

This is huge, really huge, because you can take it as proof positive that your new way of eating is evolving into a sustainable lifestyle. Congratulations!

I had a burger for lunch today - home cooked and served on a 100% whole wheat bun, not fast food - and rather than greasy fries on the side I ate it with a whole tomato. That was by far and away the best part of the meal. It's amazing how satisfying a good tomato can be when you've been off processed sugar for a couple of months.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Do not downplay this. I would venture to say the hardest part about getting healthy is the mental part. If you can conquer that, you can do anything. Wonderful job!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I would venture to say the hardest part about getting healthy is the mental part. If you can conquer that, you can do anything.

Well put and undoubtedly true. If you can get your mind in the right place then your body will come along for the ride.

No matter how you slice it dieting is a depravation state. To think of it even more negatively it is quasi starvation - you are deliberately depriving your body of the resources it needs to maintain itself. The greater the deficit the greater the starvation. Now if you constantly focus on deprivation there is a great likelihood that you will crack and go the other way and binge. Human beings simply aren't very good at dealing with prolonged periods of stress.

That is why reframing the process to a positive state can be very beneficial. Some people say form follows function. In other words, if you can begin thinking like an athlete you will reap the health benefits of being an athlete. You will train like and athlete. You will fuel your body like an athlete. You will perform like an athelete.

There's also a nice minor benefit of this approach. You will end up LOOKING like an athlete but really that's not important....

Get out there and smash it.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yay! great NSV!
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great small steps count.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

My hope is that when I finally DO have one, that it won't taste at all like I remember it, and I'll be over the craving for good. :)

This is what happened to me. I rarely drink soda or fast food. Fast food is only if I have too, like a road trip. In my early 20s DH and I ate out all the time but after too many bad experiences with both soda and fast food I stopped.

When I do eat fast food I'm always let down. Sometimes I do crave a rootbeer but a small amount cures that!
  • HeartsTurtle
    Options
    Way to go! It's the small things like this that will really make the difference!
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    That really is a great big woohoo. That change in your thinking and eating will make all the difference on this weight loss journey and through life. WTG!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!