MFP CYCLE GANG 9/29

Options
I know I don't post on the normal cycle group threads, but I wanted to start this weeks' thread off by bragging on my wonderful wife, BAMBOO!. She completed a metric century ride Saturday ( a very hilly course) in a fantastic time. She did the entire event on a hybrid bike (one of only three non road bikes in the whole event!), and finished well ahead of several experienced riders on road bikes! She did tell me the minute she got off the bike she was selling her hybrid and buying a road bike!!!!! Not only did she complete the ride, she did it with a smile on her face and looking HOT HOT HOT doing it!!!!!

Replies

• Newman4AU
    Options
    I know I don't post on the normal cycle group threads, but I wanted to start this weeks' thread off by bragging on my wonderful wife, BAMBOO!. She completed a metric century ride Saturday ( a very hilly course) in a fantastic time. She did the entire event on a hybrid bike (one of only three non road bikes in the whole event!), and finished well ahead of several experienced riders on road bikes! She did tell me the minute she got off the bike she was selling her hybrid and buying a road bike!!!!! Not only did she complete the ride, she did it with a smile on her face and looking HOT HOT HOT doing it!!!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this week's thread--I completely forgot in my running around from meeting to meeting today.

CONGRATS, BAMBOO! And darn right, get a road bike! You deserve it!

I got in 35 miles today--it was hard, too. Steady wind about 10mph but for some reason, I could not keep my blood glucose levels up at all. I had to eat about every 30 minutes and then would only feel good for about 10 minutes. Finally got to a drug store and bought some liquid glucose in these little bottles--drank 3 of them right there--that did the trick! I've got to get some of them to tuck in my pockets for rides.

How's everyone else doing so far this week?
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh, what a sweet loving husband Bamboo has!!! Oh yeah, and a killer set of cycling legs! Great job!

Shorerider - great job in getting in 35 miles with the blood glucose issues. Sounds like a tough ride!

I did Spinervals Recovery today. It's a 40 minute lighter trainer ride designed to spin the soreness out of the legs. Worked a bit at least. :P I'm still feeling yesterday's ride though.

Happy Cycling!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    And fall is fast approaching. I went outside this morning and it was 8 C or 45 F. That is getting a little to chilli to ride. The weather is supposed to turn to rain this weekend so I do not know when I will get my rides in. :explode:

Time to get a trainer or a stationary.

Have a good week everyone.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks Newman. I might add, that he did it too and he finished an hour ahead of me so I think he did alot better than I did!!

I rode 15 today. I was a little slow, but it felt good.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden since Sunday. I'm not sure when I'm getting back on the bike. I'm not doing the Seagull Century on Saturday (although my mom is still going to do it, unless it rains). I need some down time with my husband and my son. So, my training is over until January when I gear up again for next year's triathlon season. I hope to get out once a week for a nice ride so I'll keep "lurking."

Great job Bamboo and Newman!
  • shorerider
    Options
    J--sorry to hear about the Seagull but understand the family thing.

I got in 22 more miles this morning--still had problems with BG levels and then popped too many glucose, so now I'm high :angry: I'm going to get this dang Diabetes and cycling thing figured out one day, I promise!

That gives me a total of 57 miles for the week and for the month of September, a total of 347.25 miles.
  • andtckrtoo
    Options
    Ce_Fit – hope the rain holds off until you get in your ride. Our rainy season is coming up and I’m hoping I have to spend a lot of time on the trainer – we so need the rain.

Bambi – Good job at getting out there and riding again after the metric century! So, when does the hunt for your new steed start? :P

Jadaigle – I’m sorry to hear you won’t be doing the Seagull, but family has to come first.

Shorerider – Good job with the 22 miles – WOW on your total miles!! Great job! I have a friend who runs and has diabetes. She goes through the same thing. Good luck to you!

I skipped riding today to get in some weight work. I did a workout call Leaner Legs (Cathe Freidrich) aka Meaner Legs (they are on FIRE right now!). I also did some back work and abs. I have a hard time figuring out how to fit it all in.
  • ce_fit
    Options
    Hi Cycling budies;

Went to the doctor last week for a physical & blood test. Turning 50 in March figure I should be checked out. Went in and got the results back and the doctor was quite impressed, good blood pressure reading, no signs of diabetes, cholesterol reading good etc. she then put all the results in to a risk assesment and said oh -1. Right away I ask is that bad ... no answer ... a long 30 seconds later and explanation that says for my age group the average chance of a heart attack is 11%, a great result is a 4 % chance and extremley rare rating of only a 2% chance ... I was one of those rare cases of falling into the 2% catagory! Yeah me. :drinker:

She then goes but we may have a problem. :grumble: Apparently I may have an underactive Thyroid.

Just in case any of you know anything about it I will ask you the question I posted in general discussion.

"Just found out today that I may have an underactive Thyroid.:mad: Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is on Thyroid replacement therapy and what your experience has been. "
  • shorerider
    Options
    got in another 22 miles this morning and it was a great ride! No BG issues, felt strong, no wind!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Guess what I am getting tomorrow??!?!?!?!?!?!!?
    A ROAD BIKE!!!!!:drinker:
    and for the low price of 200.00!!! Seriously, since Newman already upgraded to a road bike and I want to. The bike shop is taking both of our hybrids on trade and offering us more than I expected them to for them both. End result new Trek road bike for 200.00!!! Woo Hoo!

I pick it up tomorrow! My husband is way tooooo good to me!
  • ce_fit
    Options
    and for the low price of 200.00!!! Seriously, since Newman already upgraded to a road bike and I want to. The bike shop is taking both of our hybrids on trade and offering us more than I expected them to for them both. End result new Trek road bike for 200.00!!! Woo Hoo!

You're hubby won't be leaving you behind anymore!!! Make sure you get some pictures posted!! Enjoy
  • shorerider
    Options

AWESOME! Sure you won't miss your Hybrid though??

What kind of Trek? Is it a WSD?? What model, come on--tell us all about it!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    It is the 1.2 WSD model. It is entry level road bike, which is all I need. Here is the link to the pic.

http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/road/12wsd/

I think Newman is on the way home with it right now. I thought I wouldn't get it until tomorrow, but looks like it belongs to me TODAY!! Yeah me!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    It is the 1.2 WSD model. It is entry level road bike, which is all I need. Here is the link to the pic.

http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/road/12wsd/

I think Newman is on the way home with it right now. I thought I wouldn't get it until tomorrow, but looks like it belongs to me TODAY!! Yeah me!!

OH BOY--that's exactly what I've got!!!!! You'll love it so much! I just can't believe every time I get on it how fast and comfortable it is!

It'll take a trip or two to get used to the different steering and shifting but once you get that down, it's a dream!

I've named mine "little mule" --makes sense if you've ever seen "Romancing the Stone"
  • andtckrtoo
    Options
    Bamboo - NICE BIKE!!!! And what a great price!! Sounds like you have a good LBS! I'm so happy to hear it!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Bamboo - NICE BIKE!!!! And what a great price!! Sounds like you have a good LBS! I'm so happy to hear it!
    We do have a nice bike shop and it helps that we have given them LOTS of business this year. This is the 4th bike we have purchased since May and my husband works for Michelin...their plant is so big that he has purchased bikes for his guys to ride in the plant from area to area, rather than walk. I am not sure how many he bought, but enough that the bike shop guys really like him!!!!

Well I just got in from work and finished lunch...time to take the new RIDE for a ride!!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Well.....I LOVE my new bike! I rode yesterday and ended up taking it in for a few minor tweaks! There were some squeals and stuff that needed to be worked out and then they adjusted the handlebars for me b/c I felt like I couldn't reach the brakes all that well. Met Newman at the bike shop today and they had it all fixed for me. Took it for a spin and rode 20 miles like it was nothing!!! I love it! Can't wait to take it for a really long ride!!

Thank you Newman for my new bike!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Well.....I LOVE my new bike! I rode yesterday and ended up taking it in for a few minor tweaks! There were some squeals and stuff that needed to be worked out and then they adjusted the handlebars for me b/c I felt like I couldn't reach the brakes all that well. Met Newman at the bike shop today and they had it all fixed for me. Took it for a spin and rode 20 miles like it was nothing!!! I love it! Can't wait to take it for a really long ride!!

GREAT! What color is yours? You got to post pics now, too, you know!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

GREAT! What color is yours? You got to post pics now, too, you know!

White mostly with metallic grey and maroon highlights. I think in a couple months I am going to girl it up a bit and put some colored taped or zebra striped tape on the handlebars, but the white tape is fine for now!! I really enjoyed my ride today..in fact I found myself wanting to go out for more. We tackled two big hills that I really hated on my hybrid and I found myself wanting to go at them again!!! They were still tough, but not nearly as tough as before!!!! I will post some pics tomorrow!