Spaghetti squash---uhhh, no.

Options
sbwood888
sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
I fixed spaghetti squash and put pasta sauce over it. Soooo not working for me. :sick: Now I have this ton of the squash left. Any ideas what I can make with it other than just putting pasta sauce over it? I hate to waste it.

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I wished I lived by.. I love it like that!!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash with Chicken, Mushrooms and Spinach

"This recipe is a variation of a go-to pasta recipe I make often. I wondered how it would work using spaghetti squash for a pasta stand-in.

Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients
    1 (3.5-pound) spaghetti squash
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
    1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    1.5 cups chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Poblano pepper
    8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
    1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/4 cup cup julienne sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
    1 1/4 cup cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
    1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
    Preparation
    1. Preheat broiler.

Cut poblano in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 5 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and chop.

3. Reduce oven temperature to 400 °.

4. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash halves cut side down in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add water to measure 1/2-inch deep. Bake at 400 ° for 45 minutes. Turn squash over; bake an additional 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove strands to measure 6 cups. Keep warm.

5. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Cool and crumble. Increase heat to medium-high; sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to drippings in pan and cook 4 minutes; remove from pan.

6. Heat remaining 11/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan and cook 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, reserved bacon, Poblano, garlic and Italian seasoning to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook 4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add wine to pan and cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Add reserved chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes, and spinach to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly; stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Place about 1 cup squash on each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 1 cup chicken mixture and 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    Fat:
    9.3g (sat 3.2g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:
    31.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    23.8g
    Fiber:
    2.4g
    Cholesterol:
    67mg
    Iron:
    3mg
    Sodium:
    707mg
    Calcium:
    241mg
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    yea, didn't do it for me either. I've heard some people say that they sprinkle it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar, maybe a little butter, for a dessert type thing
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    We always put brown sugar and butter with it like a sweet potato and mixed it up.

I'm sure you could use a no calorie sweetener, some light butter or fat free sour cream. :smile:
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Cake with Orange-Cream Cheese Glaze

Have any leftover cooked spaghetti squash? This cake can put it to delicious use.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped cooked spaghetti squash
    Orange-Cream Cheese Glaze
    1 tablespoon chopped pecans, toasted
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set pan aside.

Beat sugars, margarine, ginger, and cinnamon at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Stir in milk, vanilla, and egg; beat at low speed of mixer until well-blended. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Stir in sugar mixture and squash. Spoon into prepared cake pan, spreading evenly.

Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan; carefully peel off wax paper. Cool completely on a wire rack. Spoon Orange-Cream Cheese Glaze over top of cake. Sprinkle with pecans.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    283 (26% from fat)
    Fat:
    8.2g (sat 2g,mono 3.4g,poly 2.2g)
    Protein:
    3.6g
    Carbohydrate:
    49.3g
    Fiber:
    0.9g
    Cholesterol:
    31mg
    Iron:
    1.4mg
    Sodium:
    184mg
    Calcium:
    65mg
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    YES! That way is kind of yucky. My whole family, even my picky teen daughter likes it this way:
    Cook as usual, scraping your noodles out and putting them in a bowl. We then make individual servings by adding
    a Laughing Cow light swiss wedge, some butter spray, garlic powder & salt. Heat in microwave for 1 min to melt cheese and stir.
    Top with grated parmesan cheese and stir. ENJOY!! We think it tastes like alfredo "noodles". Very good...promise!
  • Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    how did you cook it? I cook mine with a olive oil and it turns out very good that way. Maybe you can sear it in some olive oil, oh and some garlic. I love eating vegetables but sometimes I dont feel like it. When that happens I mix my veggies with ground meat or rice to help me get them down. Hope some of this helps.
  • Laelee
    Laelee Posts: 36
    Options
    Oooh have I got something for you!
    Even my kids liked this one. I was surprised by how good it tasted.
    You take your spagetti squash and spoon over top of it some black beans, then you can top it with cheese if you like-I did,just a smidge-and then a homemade salsa-tomatoes,jalepenos,green onion..you get the idea- and some avocado cubes. It was really good. And super easy to make
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I find that if it's undercooked, it's kinda blah. Last batch I cooked, I roasted it -- for a long, long time. Until the top of the skin was super brown.

When I scoop the "threads" out, I mix in some butter, S&P -- which I find makes it tastier. (Although I'm doing a low-carb thing, so you might need to use different seasonings). Perhaps saute the leftovers with a little olive oil, garlic and S&P?
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Frittata with Leeks, Spaghetti, and Zucchini

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, divided
    2 cups thinly sliced leek
    1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
    1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    4 large egg whites
    3 large eggs
    2 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 4 ounces uncooked pasta)
    1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
    Preparation
    Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add leek and zucchini; sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Stir in leek mixture and spaghetti.

Preheat broiler.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in skillet over low heat. Add egg mixture. Cover; cook 10 minutes or until almost set. Top with cheese. Wrap handle of skillet with foil. Broil 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    298 (34% from fat)
    Fat:
    11.3g (sat 5.3g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    17.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    31.9g
    Fiber:
    1.6g
    Cholesterol:
    186mg
    Iron:
    3mg
    Sodium:
    337mg
    Calcium:
    199mg
  • Laelee
    Laelee Posts: 36
    Options
    Loving all the recipes and ideas!
  • Omicron
    Omicron Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love it on it's own with a little butter, salt and pepper. I have heard of using it in place of pasta but can't imagine it tasting really great. If you are looking for a pasta replacer check out Shirataki noodles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I prefer mine with cheesy sauces more than tomato ones. I experimented and but a little in a bunch of different bowls and topped with different things to find out what I liked.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love it on it's own with a little butter, salt and pepper. I have heard of using it in place of pasta but can't imagine it tasting really great. If you are looking for a pasta replacer check out Shirataki noodles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

Whoa, I <3 you Omicron. Low carb noodles? FA-BU-LOUS. I'm already planning my trip to the Asian supermarket to find these.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I will have to try some of these
  • Omicron
    Omicron Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Whoa, I <3 you Omicron. Low carb noodles? FA-BU-LOUS. I'm already planning my trip to the Asian supermarket to find these.

Some whole food stores have them as well. Happy hunting!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That really sucks to here because i've been dying to try it since i REALLY miss moms spaghetti. id bake it with a little bit of vanilla, cardamom if you have it, maple syrup and a dash of salt or salted butter. i did that with acorn squash and i was SO full afterwards :-)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Throw some laughing cow cheese in it and melt it---more like lasagna then
  • SnackPacks
    SnackPacks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mmm...that sounds so good
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I top mine with some turkey chili, onions and cheese, like a chili spaghetti.