Got Any Good Kale Recipes?

Options
tanniew78
tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
I just bought some greens, I have never had them before. Its something new. I have been attempting to eat something new or prepare old stuff in a new way every week. This green has always intimidated me. With its creepy wavy leaves and its woody hard stalk... :noway:

Replies

• Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    Kale chips are good.

You just spray them with olive oil lightly salt and bake them at 400 until crispy 5-10 minutes.
  • slhardy83
    Options
    You can make Kale chips! I don't have an actual recipe, but someone showed me how to do it. Break the Kale into little pieces. Put them in a mixing bowl and lightly toss them with oil (I use Canola, because EV olive oil its too flavorful). Then place them on a tin-foil lined cookie sheet and sprinkle on sea salt. Bake them until they are warm and lightly crispy :)
  • slhardy83
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't see that someone already suggested the kale chips
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Check the hungry girl website (http://www.hungry-girl.com/ - i watched an episode not too long ago where she made chips w/ kale and they looked really good!

I also sautee mine in olive oil w/ garlic (Just be careful not too use too much olive oil).
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    LOL I guess great minds think alike! :) I didn't realize two other people had suggested kale chips. LMAO That's funny!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    First time I tried this stuff, I put it in a wrap... yuk. Tried putting it in stir fry. YUMMMMMMMMM... Recently I tried a new recipe, white bean stew with sausage and kale. Again YUMMM. Generally if the stems are very big, you cut that part out. If you wanna use the stems, they need a lot more cooking than the leaves. There are a lot or recipes out there, but I love it in stir fry and I will make the stew again as well.
  • Jimgraziano
    Options
    We cut it into bite size pieces and remove any of the heavy stalk.
    Put into a baking dish with 1-2 tbls EVOO mix it up.
    Bake it at 385 for about 30 mins. Towards the end of the bake we add about 3-4 cloves chopped garlic.
    Season with salt and pepper.

Add the garlic at the end so it doesn't over cook and brown.

Some of the leave get crunchy and make for a nice texture.

We also chop it up and put it into soups and stews.

Hope this helps. I know the flavor is strong and unique, but this really makes it edible.

Jim
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Have no fear! Kale is so good for you, and easy to make tasty.
    Here's what I usually do:
    Part 1: Salad
    Strip the leaves off of the stems. Save the stems.
    Roll the leaves up and cut them into small ribbons.
    Put into a bowl, add a small amount of sea salt, vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice, and massage everything together.<< With your hands! This is no pansy lettuce that wilts when you touch it. You WANT the Kale to wilt. So massaging the salad breaks up the fibers of the kale and makes it more digestible.
    Then add your favorite salad toppings. I like tomatoes, olives, diced bell peppers, and whatever other veggies I have on hand. I also add spices like basil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper. Toss it all together. No dressing needed.

Part 2: Stems
    Some people make juices out of the stems. I make smoothies. Just make a normal fruit smoothie and toss in the stems. You can't even taste them, but they add fiber and nutrients to the smoothie. Plus they're not wasted.
  • Jimgraziano
    Options
    white bean stew with sausage and kale. Again YUMMM.

I think we have the same recipe and it is gooooood

Jim
  • xLaurenex
    xLaurenex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Colcannon - but not really!
    Ingredients - Potatos
    Kale
    Onions
    Mushrooms (Optional)
    Garlic
    Leek (Optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Herbs and spices to taste
    Chicken stock cube.

Traditionally colcannon is just mashed potato and kale, but I have pimped the dish.
    Cook and mash your potatos, no cream, milk or butter!
    Put all veg in saucepan and half cover with water, add stockcube, and any herbs and spices you want to use. This dish is very versatile, so you could add anything. You could also add any veg you wanted.
    Cook for about 10 minutes on high. (I like to keep my veg a bit crunchy so I don't cook for much longer than 5-7 minutes)
    Drain the veg, but keep the liquor. Add the veg to the mash, as there isn't usually a lot of liquor I always add the lot, but add to taste, the more liquor the looser the colcannon will be.
    Once it has reached your desired consistency, taste and season to taste.
    Put in the oven and bake until the top starts to turn golden brown.
    EAT!
    I love eating this with chicken, and because you don't use any oil or fat, the recipe is quite low in calories and technically you could have most of your 5 a day in one dish.
    YUM YUM YUM - its making me hungry just thinking about it!
    :-)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Dragonbug300 suggested my favourite already! I love massaged kale salad.

Here's another recipe (basics are the same though):
    http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2009/12/massaged-kale-salad-recipe-with-apple.html

I sometimes substitute raisins instead of dates, and I like it with a slightly different dressing: plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and a splash of maple syrup. :)
  • emilybrittain
    Options
    Add it into soups - my favourite is chicken noodle soup - just through everything in a pan of cold water except the noodles and the kale, heat it up, leave it to boil away and then add the noodles and kale at the very end. You can put anything you want in - I normally also add mushroom and sweetcorn.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Coconut water
    kale ... 2 large leaves
    1/2 banana
    berries

Blend in to a smoothie.

I also add it to my protein shakes instead of spinach for a green monster smoothie.

unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 scoop whey protein isolate
    kale
    1/2 banana
    1 cup berries

You don't taste the kale but you receive all the kale goodness.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can make Dutch "boerenkool"!

Cut the kale leaves very very finely. Peel potatoes, put them in water until they're just covered and cover with the kale. Boil until potatoes are done, drain and mash the lot together with some milk. Service with smoked sausage.
    It's even better if you add some crispy bacon to the mash!

(Hope you didn't want a low-cal recipe now!)

Sorry can't do picures here (must look up how to do it), but this is what it looks like: http://tinypic.com/r/6yyxra/7
  • ccsmiller
    ccsmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I made a shrimp scampi with kale the other night. It was delish. Just simmer some olive oil and a little butter with some garlic at very low heat to infuse the garlic flavor. Turn up the heat and add the kale (stems removed). Saute until tender. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Add zest and juice from one lemon.
  • tanniew78
    Options
    You can make Dutch "boerenkool"!

Cut the kale leaves very very finely. Peel potatoes, put them in water until they're just covered and cover with the kale. Boil until potatoes are done, drain and mash the lot together with some milk. Service with smoked sausage.
    It's even better if you add some crispy bacon to the mash!

(Hope you didn't want a low-cal recipe now!)

Sorry can't do picures here (must look up how to do it), but this is what it looks like: http://tinypic.com/r/6yyxra/7

LOL! I am always on the look out for low cal recipes, but I believe in everything in moderation. :)
  • tanniew78
    Options
    I guess I was wondering if I can make it like people do spinach and sautee it up with pork fat (lol, low cal i know... NOT!) and garlic... Sounds like its something thats not good to stand alone unless they become kale chips...
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Colcannon - but not really!
    Ingredients - Potatos
    Kale
    Onions
    Mushrooms (Optional)
    Garlic
    Leek (Optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Herbs and spices to taste
    Chicken stock cube.

Traditionally colcannon is just mashed potato and kale, but I have pimped the dish.
    Cook and mash your potatos, no cream, milk or butter!
    Put all veg in saucepan and half cover with water, add stockcube, and any herbs and spices you want to use. This dish is very versatile, so you could add anything. You could also add any veg you wanted.
    Cook for about 10 minutes on high. (I like to keep my veg a bit crunchy so I don't cook for much longer than 5-7 minutes)
    Drain the veg, but keep the liquor. Add the veg to the mash, as there isn't usually a lot of liquor I always add the lot, but add to taste, the more liquor the looser the colcannon will be.
    Once it has reached your desired consistency, taste and season to taste.
    Put in the oven and bake until the top starts to turn golden brown.
    EAT!
    I love eating this with chicken, and because you don't use any oil or fat, the recipe is quite low in calories and technically you could have most of your 5 a day in one dish.
    YUM YUM YUM - its making me hungry just thinking about it!
    :-)
  • Laney25
    Options
    dragonbug300 - Great idea! I was wondering what to do with the stems. Seems so wasteful to just throw them away.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like them as chips and in soup.