Zumba

Options
2»

Replies

• jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Zumba instructor (hi sl0327!) and as someone who comes from no dance background at all, I absolutely love it! I may not have the best dance moves out there, but i bring it to every class and have a blast! Zumba is a great workout and definitely breaks up the monotony of your workout! Keep in mind that every instructor is different, so if you try one Zumba class and don't like it, don't be afraid to try another!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES ARE BURNT DURING ZUMBA?

I've burned as little as 458 and as high as 728 (last night, in fact). I'm 5'5" and 236lbs. And those are via a Polar HRM.
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am an instructor, so I am a bit biased. It is a great workout. I do other things, because it is not an exercise fix in and of itself. It is a great cardio workout to break up the monotony of your routine. I tend to think people lean a little too heavily on it for total fitness though.

I do Zumba 3-4x a week but I also work with a trainer 2x a week and do c25k 3x a week--but I'm a bit crazy like that...However, I don't understand your comment.

For those that don't exercise regularly, any activity that will burn 500+ calories is a good one. If you mean in it's best to do in conjunction with weight/strength training I would agree...but doing zumba a few times a week for cardio is fine. I see no difference between doing zumba a few times a week vs. getting on the treadmill/ellptical for cardio. What am I missing?

Weight training is precisely what I am referring to. People tend to focus very intently on cardio, but not weight training. In fact, weight training and building lean muscle actually provides more benefits for your metabolism.
  • dianarae82
    Options
    I have the DVDs and the 25 minute ones go by in a flash... The first few times I did them I kept expecting more but it never came lol. I got the zumba shaker sticks with mine, but I use 3lb weights instead of them just to kick it up a bit. I think what I love the most about it is that I can do it at home, and no one can see how horrible I am. And if I can't keep up, I'll just dance around my living room. It's SO much fun. In my mind, I'm as good as the women on the DVDs, and I look like them, so I enjoy spending that 25 minutes pretending to be that ripped. :wink:
  • Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    Options
    I have the game for the wii and I love it. Not only is it a great workout it is alot of fun also.
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have only been a few times now but love it. I have tried 3 different instructors and have now settled with a fantastic one. They are so different. The one I am with is more dance based but its very fast & the music is fantastic. I am not very co-ordinated but no-one takes any notice & its really good fun. I get a great workout & feel great afterwards, it does'nt feel like a chore like a lot of exercise classes I have tried. Give it a go.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Love zumba! I found a great instructor but unfortunately she is so popular that her class gets way full and I like being in the front. It really is a great class to take if you can find a good instructor. My gym has several locations around me and I took a week and just tried different instructors until I found the one I liked :D
  • lmorriso
    lmorriso Posts: 1
    Options
    I love Zumba, when I reach my goal weight, I want to be an instructor. I really noticed a change instantly when I drastically changed my diet too! This works on and off diets!!! Of course, a proper diet is always the winner!!!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I just saw that QVC will bring ZUMBA to their show at Midnight tonight. The preview says 8 DVD's, 3 CD's and Toning Sticks...but they haven't announced the price...guess that we shall have to tune in at Midnight. They also have P90X 12 DVD workout program including resistance bands for $129.90 and it is on Easy Pay
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    One word.... OBSESSED!