Confession -- I need to get this out.

Options
I ran a 5k last week. I actually ran 3.7 miles, but that's above and beyond a 5k. I have always said "I'm NOT a runner" because I never thought of myself as one. A 5k was never within my sights. EVER. So upon finishing 3.7 miles, I wanted to scream.

I am also in the Air Force and have struggled with the run for my fitness test. For my age group, my cutoff time is 16:22. Anything slower than that is a failure. My last test, I ran 17:22. My last practice test, on Tuesday, I ran 17:19, after six weeks of running five times a week.

Today I ran a 16:30. That's over a minute off my run time in TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!

I am still 30 pounds overweight. I don't feel like I'm losing weight, or inches, but I feel STRONG. I feel excited and proud when I finish a run, and it doesn't matter what my time was. I'm proud that I finish without stopping. I'm getting faster and stronger and my endurance is better than it's ever been.

I log 10-12 miles a week, for now. Is it too early to say I am a runner? I hope not. Because I Am A Runner. :happy:

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    That is definately something to be extremely proud of :noway:

Absolutely brilliant...I wish I could knock a few minutes off my own times.

Congrats...I'm sure the weight and inch loss will shortly follow :happy:
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thats great. If you feel like a runner, then thats exactly what you are! Keep it up.
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh Diana you are SO a RUNNER!

Even the thought of matching your times makes me breathless!

Keep it going babes and you will soon achieve the times you want.

I am astounded by your times already so keep me posted of your achievements!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Great job! I say your a runner for sure! =)
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    Congratulations! No matter what the time, you are finishing something you thought you could not do. With that much effort, the pounds and inches will come off, just give it time and don't give up.
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    What an inspiration!

Do you have any wisdom you can share with "non-runners"? How did you successfully achieve something that you never thought you could?
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You are soooooooooooo a runner!!!

So great to hear of your accomplishments. I should get out and do the same (running scares me....because I'm horrible at it).

Re: Weight loss - Try doing some sprints here and there. I hear that for sure kickstart some weight loss if you've reached a plateau with your exercises.

You can do it!
  • dianarae82
    Options
    Wisdom? hahahaha just go do it. That's about it. And don't quit. I have this on-going dialogue in my head because I ALWAYS want to stop. Even on the first lap. I want to walk for 30 seconds and catch my breath. I am absolutely NEVER motivated to run, but at the end it's ALWAYS worth it.
    So I'll be running and think to myself, just walk for a few seconds, and then I think "why would you stop? there's no reason to stop, you're not in pain, you're not dying, you're just breathing heavy because you're running"... so I dont stop.

Also, I changed HOW I run. I've always had shin splints and never found a shoe that could prevent them for more than a few months. But I recently got a pair of minimalist running shoes, that forces me to land on the balls of my feet, not my heels. No more shin splints (except when sprinting, but I'm working on that). I can do my distance runs with no pain, which has never happened. It's quite nice :smile:

And always remember: The mind will quit before the body.