Does anyone know why . . .?

Options
Does anyone know why I gain or maintain my weight the day after an intense workout? I have Turbo Kick (the class form of Turbo Jam) for about 35-40 min on Mondays and Wednesdays, (totally killer workout), and almost always the day after, my weight either remains the same or even goes up just the tiniest bit. But then the day after it usually drops a little. I was wondering if it had to do with muscle breakdown and repair? This area is not my forte, though, so could anyone fill me in on this phenomenon?

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why I gain or maintain my weight the day after an intense workout? I have Turbo Kick (the class form of Turbo Jam) for about 35-40 min on Mondays and Wednesdays, (totally killer workout), and almost always the day after, my weight either remains the same or even goes up just the tiniest bit. But then the day after it usually drops a little. I was wondering if it had to do with muscle breakdown and repair? This area is not my forte, though, so could anyone fill me in on this phenomenon?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If you increase your exercise significantly your body will retain water in response to the stress. That's why its so short lived, as soon as you go back to your normal level it will release the excess water.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Another reason may be if you are crossing the anaerobic threshold then you continue to burn calories up to 48 hours later after the work out as opposed to only a couple hours after an aerobic workout.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Most likely, yes, it relates to muscle and glycogen storage. I've gained as much as 3 pounds from long bike rides due to the same effect. It takes me a couple days to get rid of it. It's different than fluid retention, in that, it has to do it storage of glycogen in your muscles and liver. I got a lot of info from songbyrdsweet on this, as I am on diuretics and had trouble understanding how my weight could shift so dramatically despite being on diuretics.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have noticed as well, my weight has not budges sine I started working out 5 days a week.
    I know it will. It takes time for this to happen. Your muscles are not used to working out.
    I have noticed my tummy and waist shrinking though and my back fat around my boobs.
    So I know, the weight will drop as well.

Hang in there!!!!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    People have already done a good job answering your question, but I just wanted to *high five* a fellow TKer :) I teach it here in IL... LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It gets me heart rate up like nothing else, and it's fun while doing so :)