Elliptical question

Options
So I stay on my elliptical for 45 mins to an hour a day. By the time I hit 30 mins my feet and toes are going numb. I constantly have to stop to shake the numbness out. This happens almost every time I use it. What could I do to reduce this problem? I am trying to use proper posture and the right supportive sneakers, so Im somewhat at a loss.......just a small annoyance...lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes too tight? That might be the problem.
  • deerussell
    deerussell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too, but not every day. The numbness is weird and uncomfortable. I hope someone has a better idea of what's going on. :smile:
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but maybe I will try loosening them? lol I don't want to get blisters though:noway: :laugh:
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    happens to me sometimes too! I have no idea why or how to stop it but I did notice that as I lost weight (got lighter maybe?) it stopped.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Hey Thanks Hemlock, Im reading that thread right now, it's helpful:) lots of suggestions!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Some ellipticals aren't designed to keep your foot moving in it's natural rocking motion, like when your are running -- which is the motion the elliptical simulates. The first three I owned didn't do this, and my feet would feel numb every time. I bought a new elliptical in January, and don't have this problem anymore. I learned the design keeps my feet in motion.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    what elliptical design did you end up liking?
  • jenX1174
    Options
    I just upgraded from the one I had and bought the Livestrong LS10.0E, and I love it. It's amazing....it's better ergonomically -- the pedals are closer together which keeps your hips aligned properly so there is less strain on your back and knees. Of course, the foot motion is better. It has a steadier, more fluid motion so your core stays in place which gives your arms, legs, and abs a better workout. I love the different programs on there too, as well as the incline.
    This is my fourth one, and it was expensive, but I feel it was an investment in my health and went with a higher quality brand. I needed something that was going to last several years without falling apart. I've learned with ellipticals, you really get what you pay for.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    wow thanks for the advice!
  • jenX1174
    Options
    anytime! :wink:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    it happens to me on the eliptical...but it never happens to me on the arc trainer
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    start off with your shoe laces looser - your feet are swelling during the workout

Also every 15 mins peddle backward for 2 mins or so - this will also help