What is a realistic time frame for me to lose 15-20 lbs?

Options
I'm currently 141
Would like to lose 15-20lbs

I've lose 1.5 in 2 weeks so far...now on this site which is amazing!
I know it can get harder as your weight gets lower so not sure if possible to do 1lb per week all the way ?

Replies

• gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I would say average 1-1.5 pounds per week would be reasonable so 2-3 months.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 133 and I have pretty consistently lost a pound a week for the past 8 weeks. Well there was a week where I gained back 2 pounds,but then I lost a pound and a half the following two weeks.
    so I'd say aiming for a pound a week give yourself 21 weeks to lose 20 pounds. Unless you find yourself plateauing at some point in which you might need an extra weeks for so to get back on track.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Considering you're likely not obese or even very overweight at your current weight, 1/2lb a week would probably be realistic. Your initial drop will be high, but thereafter if often gets slower, much slower if you're already within a healthy weight range.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Because you're losing a small amount of weight it's going to be quick at the beginning and then very slow (and require a lot more work as you get in better cardiovascular shape). My weight loss goals are almost identical to yours. I stopped checking the scale once I was above 140, so my starting weight was somewhere above 140. I want to get back to my healthy, fit weight of 120, which is what I weighed as an 18 year old competitive athlete. After losing the first 14lb I've been losing about 1lb every two weeks (at best), but my muscle tone is improving, my measurements are changing, and I'm feeling like a million bucks because of all the energy and endorphins I get from working out. I guess my point is - you may not be at your goal in 2 or 3 months, but if you pay attention to non-scale indicators of your success you'll stay really motivated. If I were you I'd give myself 6 or months to hit the 120 mark, but if you hit it early, great!
  • trafalga21
    trafalga21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using this consistently since the middle of December. My goal is 2lbs a week and have been averaging close to that. I am down 22lbs. I am generally over (on average) each week by about 200 calories. I haven't been exercising(bad), just keeping track of my calories.

2 other factor's I am a guy and started at 236. After 10lbs the system will reset you calorie count and when that has happened it is hard for the next few days to stay within the new calorie count and it has been manageable.

I am super excited by my results! I always thought you had to exercise like a madman to loose weight - come to find out - its really about what you stuff in the food shoot! :)

Good Luck!
  • jess1304
    jess1304 Posts: 47
    Options
    If you want to do it the healthy way and keep it off I would say 2 monthes. I've lost 20 lbs before the unhealthy way in a month and gained it back in about 2 weeks so I don't suggest that.
  • MissyBC
    MissyBC Posts: 10
    Options
    I dont want to do it in 2 months...Ill be starving! haha
    thanks everyone =)
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Last spring I lost 25lbs from Feb to June..........no stretch marks...tight skin....and I haven't gained it back. Slowly is better. Plan on .5-1lb per week!