Fixing a bad meal decision

Options
I'm kicking myself today because of a bad decision I made today at lunch. Because of a work situation (this is the first time it has happened since I started MFP), I had to choose between a really unhealthy lunch or nothing at all. I know there are going to be more days like this on the long road ahead as I have about 70 lbs to lose. Is it acceptable to counter a really unhealthy meal choice with a workout? I had planned on working out for 30 minutes tonight anyway but I thought I would push it and maybe do 40 min to gain a bigger calorie deficit. Honestly, the only thing I'm really over in my food diary today is calories at -267 when I normally carry a 500 to 700 daily calorie deficit. Honest answers from people who have been there done that would be extremely helpful!

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I say don't sweat it, and just start fresh tomorrow. You can work out longer, but do it because it makes you feel good. You are going to have good days and bad days. Focus on the good, and don't dwell on the bad. Good luck!
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is absolutely okay to offset a bad choice with extra exercise. Not ideal to make bad choices all the time, but better to work it off than not to!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Oh absolutely... burn those calories!!! Sometimes if I know I'm going to have something special I'll workout to burn enough before I eat, but it's fine to do it after as well!!!! Kill it at the gym, it's all good! And you don't need to be 500 under, that will actually slow you down!

Enjoy your workout!!!
  • beckyboowoo
    Options
    if you're truely still in deficit for the day, then you will still see a loss on the scales, but not as big as you would have without that unhealth choice. However, personally I find the "head guilt" is too much to handle and usually end up working it all off just for peace of mind to bring you back to what your calorie intake should be for the day.
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You had a bad food day. TRUST ME it happens to everyone. Now heres the trick...write or remember how you felt after eating that unhealthy meal? Maybe it will prevent you for the next time. Also, tell people that you are in the middle of a diet and the food avaivable is not inside your diet. Maybe always carry a some sort of bar with you... I personally like the larabar ... you can get them at wal mart, any health food store, etc. That way if anything ever happens you have a back up to not be tempted. Also, I keep fruit with me at all times an apple or an orange is always in my car just in case I need to remind myself to eat this and not that. You can work out extra maybe even double your work out to 30 minutes. I do not know if this happens at all but personally if I cheat I like to up my water just to know I am well hydrated and helping the flushing process. It may be more a placebo effect than anything but hey the extra water is good for you. Trust me talk openly about your diet decisions dont feel awkward or pressured if anything people will be jealous of you that you are so discipline.

Now may I ask what exactly did you eat?
  • whizperz
    whizperz Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! I got to be 100% honest that I just repeated my previous order (ordering lunch online can be dangerous) without even taking a second to think about what I was getting. It was one of those "Oh crap, I have X minutes to eat...something...and Jimmy Johns was a fav of mine before I started watching what I eat. Even today, it still didn't register (even after all the good habits I've been building) that I could have ordered and just ate less of it and I could have been better than it was. Instead, the time crunch (and working through lunch) I just ate what was in front of me until it was gone. Here is the snippets from my food diary from lunch.

Jimmie John's - Slim 1 Xtra Meat, 284 g
    Jimmy John's - Regular Potato Chips
    Jimmy John's - Chocolate Chip Cookie, 1 Cookie

Luckily, my other meals were on track but that lunch was 1312 calories (holy crap). The biggest part of this whole process for me is the food dairy and really seeing what I eat. Portion control and logging what I eat has already shed pounds. I'm really looking forward to working out (I have every night) as it is a great time for me to just have some alone time and focus. Thanks again for all the honest feedback!
  • garlicbeth
    Options
    Focus on what you CAN eat.. Big salads for lunch.. little dressing or just red wine vinegar, bring friut and cut up veggies to work and use those as your snack or meal with low fat protein like turkey. II bring a salad almost everyday.. and its better than going out!!:drinker: