Losing my gut!

avenathus
avenathus Posts: 113 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Let me start off by saying I'm a fairly small person. I'm five feet tall, and my current weight is 106. In my early teens I was at my highest weight of about 140, and then after a lot of weight loss, for several years I was hovering around 100lbs. But no matter how much or how little I have weighed, I have always had a huge gut!! And I don't just mean a belly pooch or a FUPA... I mean like a beer belly, pregnant-looking, protruding type of gut! What gives? It's always been this way and it's honestly kind of embarrassing! Most of the time I more or less "suck it in" but if I fully relax my tummy I truly do look like I have a baby in there.

Over the last couple of years I gained about 15 lbs, and so the last couple of months I have been monitoring my food intake and exercising more, with very minimal loss of inches in my belly. I know that I can't lose my belly by targeting it with certain exercises. But I have been doing cardio two to four times a week (jogging for 30-60 minutes) and I just started doing a little weight training and hope to incorporate it more. Is there anything else I should be doing? I also don't really think I'm bloated (don't necessarily feel it) but gosh do I look it. Are there certain foods I could be avoiding--salt perhaps?

Since I started exercising more and eating better I've definitely noticed my thighs slimming down, and I've even lost a tiny bit of my muffin top in the back, but the front still looks like a potato sack! Any thoughts? :)

Replies

• Larry7995
    Larry7995 Posts: 55
    Don't feel like the lone ranger, I have one too! Stuck at 39" for a while...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Have you tried any core training? Crunches, reverse crunches, planks? My belly has gotten much flatter since I started doing those. I'm just starting pilates, and that has a lot of core work.
  • avenathus
    Don't feel like the lone ranger, I have one too! Stuck at 39" for a while...

haha thanks! It's always good to know I'm not alone...
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Try exercise that strength your core muscle.. After having twins, I have to keep those muscles toned it keep my stomach area flat.

Planks are great., you need to focus on back muscles, abs, obliques, transverse abs. Check out www.hulu.com for free videos for abs, core.. Yoga, Pilates are also great.. You tube have some videos for workouts too..

Reduce carbonated beverages, salt and gum chewing all cause bloating.

I'm only 5'1 and petite, so I know how any belly or stomach is very noticeable. Let me know if you have more questions.
  • avenathus
    Have you tried any core training? Crunches, reverse crunches, planks? My belly has gotten much flatter since I started doing those. I'm just starting pilates, and that has a lot of core work.

Honestly I hadn't thought of that (still new to this exercise stuff!) but it's a good idea! Would you mind sharing your routine?
  • avenathus
    Try exercise that strength your core muscle.. After having twins, I have to keep those muscles toned it keep my stomach area flat.

Planks are great., you need to focus on back muscles, abs, obliques, transverse abs. Check out www.hulu.com for free videos for abs, core.. Yoga, Pilates are also great.. You tube have some videos for workouts too..

Reduce carbonated beverages, salt and gum chewing all cause bloating.

I'm only 5'1 and petite, so I know how any belly or stomach is very noticeable. Let me know if you have more questions.

That's 2 for core... Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the video suggestions, I will definitely start checking those out. Do you have a routine that you usually go by?
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Have you thought of a gluten or dairy intolerance? I now many people who can eat it and they don't feel sick or anything but their bodies just cannot digest it well and that would make you look preg or have a beer gut. I get like that when I eat to many carbs from things like noddles and bread otherwise I am fine. Just a thought
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    You don't track protein. You getting enough? There are 2 Protein deficiencies, Kwashiokor, and marasmus. One is the lack of protein, one is the lack of protein and over all calories (ish). While we think of them to only be in like 3rd world countries, they're more common than one might consider. Kwashiorkor can be seen through edema, ergo a bloated looking stomach. You might just look into it :)
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    This might sound strange... but try laying off of carbs for a few days. Stay under 50 or so and see if that helps. My mother is also very small but she had a HUGE stomach.. looked like she was eight months pregnant and she told me she always felt bloated. Anyways, I have noticed for the past several years that if I eat a lot of carbs my stomach does the same thing. A nurse at work told me that some people are allergic or just cant handle carbs. Im not sure if this is even a true thing or what.. but I do know when ever I do start to see a huge stomach I lay off carbs and it reduces it.

Another thing I was thinking.. has this always been an issue for you?? One of my teahers in college has a HUGE stomach and a year later found out she had a harmless tumor in her stomach the size of a small ball..
  • avenathus
    Have you thought of a gluten or dairy intolerance? I now many people who can eat it and they don't feel sick or anything but their bodies just cannot digest it well and that would make you look preg or have a beer gut. I get like that when I eat to many carbs from things like noddles and bread otherwise I am fine. Just a thought

This is something I am actually planning to talk to my doctor about. A couple weeks back I was having bad stomach cramps, gas build-up, and other unpleasant digestive problems. I looked up the symptoms and gluten and dairy intolerance were both possible issues. Fortunately I have an appointment coming up the week after next so I'll definitely be bringing this up! Maybe it will turn out to be the answer to my belly issue!
  • avenathus
    You don't track protein. You getting enough? There are 2 Protein deficiencies, Kwashiokor, and marasmus. One is the lack of protein, one is the lack of protein and over all calories (ish). While we think of them to only be in like 3rd world countries, they're more common than one might consider. Kwashiorkor can be seen through edema, ergo a bloated looking stomach. You might just look into it :)

I switch my tracked nutrients sometimes multiple times a day but I have been trying to keep an eye on my protein. I'm not SUPER consistent but sometimes I have less than I need, sometimes more than I need. I think consistency would help though! I am planning to talk to my doc about the gluten and/or dairy intolerance though... maybe I'm just not absorbing the protein, even if I am getting it in my diet. Hmm....
  • avenathus
    This might sound strange... but try laying off of carbs for a few days. Stay under 50 or so and see if that helps. My mother is also very small but she had a HUGE stomach.. looked like she was eight months pregnant and she told me she always felt bloated. Anyways, I have noticed for the past several years that if I eat a lot of carbs my stomach does the same thing. A nurse at work told me that some people are allergic or just cant handle carbs. Im not sure if this is even a true thing or what.. but I do know when ever I do start to see a huge stomach I lay off carbs and it reduces it.

Another thing I was thinking.. has this always been an issue for you?? One of my teahers in college has a HUGE stomach and a year later found out she had a harmless tumor in her stomach the size of a small ball..

This is a good idea. I'm not too great about laying off the carbs, I have to admit (popcorn, potatoes, and pasta are my favorite food groups! :P) Today is kind of a lost cause BUT I think this weekend/next week I'll really try to stay low on the carbs and see where that leads me. Thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Honestly I hadn't thought of that (still new to this exercise stuff!) but it's a good idea! Would you mind sharing your routine?

For the most part, I do the EA Sports Active 2 "game" on the playstation, but if you have Netflix streaming, there's lots of pilates & yoga videos on there.
  • avenathus
    For the most part, I do the EA Sports Active 2 "game" on the playstation, but if you have Netflix streaming, there's lots of pilates & yoga videos on there.

Awesome!! I DO have Netflix streaming! I'm super excited to try this out this weekend :D
This discussion has been closed.