Spitting food out ??

Options
So today I had a crazy day and a few times I was craving food that I never crave like pizza. So I chewed the pizza then spit it out...I know i probably got some calories from this. But i am not trying to develop an eating disorder. What should I do if this continues? Drink water or brush my teeth to distract me from the mental craving?

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this and it could very well become a disorder if your not careful. Please be careful and find something that will keep you from doing it.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If it continues, I would maybe talk to someone, like a therapist. I know you said you aren't trying to develop an eating disorder, but that is a sign of one. I developed one in HS, and really, I didn't think anything was wrong with me. It wasn't until like 5-6 years later that I finally realized that wasn't normal, and I got help.

Just a thought...take care!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this and it could very well become a disorder if your not careful. Please be careful and find something that will keep you from doing it.

Yep, careful!
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Agreed be very VERY carfull!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthier food that tastes similar to the food you're craving. Or, indulge once in a while because it won't hurt your weight loss goals.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Wow! Why not just eat the bite?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Make your own pizza from scratch. It's cheaper and healthier (no need to spit out!)
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Please don't do that honey. We all want to be thinner and healthier, but that is a very dangerous sign of an eating disorder.
    You def do not want to go down that road. It could end your life. Please seek help, like a therapist, if needed. It's definitely nothing to put on the back burner.

I'm glad you told us, obviously you understand it's a problem. Be well and please stay healthy. :heart:
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    are you afraid of eating calories? eat a slice of pizza...its okay...

if you continue... you need to see professional help as this is something more than just not wanting to eat calories.... also plan out your meals and go out less if you are still getting used to how many calories are in each item and what not
  • CourtneyHiatt
    Options
    I do it sometimes as well, I never thought of it as bad though. It got rid of my craving, which is what I was going for when I did it. Lol. Just don't do it too much,distract yourself. Drink a huge glass of water, paint your nails (that always helps me), take a walk, drink some green or peppermint tea. I've even heard that lighting a scented candle helps with food cravings.
  • CourtneyHiatt
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add something. There's lots of healthy alternatives to your favorite "bad" foods. If you visit www.hungrygirl.com, they have some amazing recipes!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Honestly if you're afraid of calories to the point of chewing and spitting I'd recommend talking to someone - a therapist or a nutritionist or both - and stopping the calorie counting for a while. It's a disordered habit and could be the beginnings of a long and painful road...
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've done this several times with treats. More often I spit it out because I'm over the craving the moment it hits my mouth, and then I think.."do I REALLY need this right now?"..and out it goes. I wouldn't consider it an eating disorder because I do it with foods that I really don't need to eat anyway, does that make sense? Now I just give myself a cheat day every week..so if I'm craving something yummy on a Tuesday, I tell myself I can have it on Saturday after my weigh in =)
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It wasn't my plan to spit the food out but then i took the first bite and i dont know just the idea came into my head to spit the food out so i did. :(