How often do you exercise?

Options
I'm not sure how frequent I should be exercising. I'm trying to make an effort to exercise at least 4 or 5 times a week. Is this enough? (Note: This is coming from a person who NEVER used to exercise!)

Replies

• Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I think that really good, I've been exercising 4 days a week for a year and a half and it works really great for me.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's good that you're exercising 4 days per week but don't make it a chore. I've done this in the past and I get burned out or just plain ole' lose interest. It's better to make small changes that you can sustain over time vs. drastic changes that you cant keep up with.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think that's great - good job

Make sure you vary your routine though so that you don't get bored and stop. I definitely had that happen before but have been able to remotivate myself a while back with taking new classes at the gym like turbokick or pilates. I'm not on a spinning/cycling class kick!

good luck!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I'm not sure how frequent I should be exercising. I'm trying to make an effort to exercise at least 4 or 5 times a week. Is this enough? (Note: This is coming from a person who NEVER used to exercise!)
    thats great! do what works for you. i work out about 5 times a week....sometimes 4.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I exercise 6 times a week. I run on all 6 days but on two out of the four I only run 2 miles plus a workout!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm studying full-time and working part-time so fitting in a workout is sometimes difficult for me. I'm aiming for about 3 times a week, sometimes like this week I barely make it at all and others I make it without blinking an eye. I'm hoping to boost it to four though and maybe even five during the holidays.

Just do what works for you whether that's four times or every day. Mix it up :)
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I work out 2x a day everyday, 60 minutes each session at least. That's obviously not realistic for everyone, but I would say aim to get 45 minutes a day and you'd be doing fine!

Just make sure you get in both cardio and weight training-- both are VERY important to see results and improve health.
  • Selaen
    Selaen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've slowly built myself up from going just once a week to 3/4 times and trying to build myself up to 5 times a week. I'm currently doing a fairly "calm" 1/1 routine; 1day at the gym, one off at a constant rotation. Next week I'll be bumping it up to two days at the gym, one off. And a few weeks from then it'll be 3 days in, one day off/2days-1day biweekly. It's best not to kick in with a supercharged exercise routine seen as you're not used to exercising! I made mistake of starting out 5 days a week and I was constantly sore, felt tired and just plain old didn't want to go to the gym anywhere. After a month and a bit I just stopped going. Trying to do too much can dampen your spirits and you might end up going back to the old habits.

I think the main thing is to not make it into something you have to do, and end up doing grudgingly. Yes, there'll be days when you don't want to go and exercise but you'll need to go anyways; getting started is half the effort! But make sure that you never end up seeing exercise as something that you're forcing upon yourself or you won't put in 100%. And I'm saying that from experience.
  • mb1883
    mb1883 Posts: 37
    Options
    It's good that you're exercising 4 days per week but don't make it a chore. I've done this in the past and I get burned out or just plain ole' lose interest. It's better to make small changes that you can sustain over time vs. drastic changes that you cant keep up with.

I'm trying to alternate between cardio and strength training. I've become pretty addicted to Just Dance 2 on the Wii, so that's what I've been doing to get a lot of my cardio in (I burn about 300 cals in an hour). I'm trying to find exercises that are fun... hence using my Wii. :happy:
  • kaydee210
    kaydee210 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work! I say getting to the gym is half the battle!

I agree with those who say mix it up and don't make it a chore. I try to get in 6 days a week, too. Usually I take a spinning class 3x week, on those days I'm too fried for anything else. The other days I mix it up with long run on treadmill 3-4 miles and some days a short treadmill run of 2 miles and swimming about 750-1,000 meters. The swim is my "treat". Maybe once a week a kickboxing class etc. I would love to try some yoga next.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow - you are doing great - keep it up!! :happy:

My goal is 5 hours a week of exercise. I make this on most weeks. The minimum I make is 3 hours if it's too cold outside and I don't walk.

Look at it as time exercised rather than days per week if that helps. That helped me. But everyone has different needs/goals. I'm not a gym rat. I tried, but I'm an outdoors-y kind of person. I play tennis, and walk, walk, walk my dogs. I also do Zumba once a week inside, which is a blast! Mix it up and do things that you consider to be fun! You are doing great!!