Olive Garden

Options
c4297
c4297 Posts: 33 Member
Hello Everyone ! :)

I am travelling to The U.S next week and I know we will be going to an olive garden . I was just wondering if anybody is familiar with Olive Garden and knows of a dish that tastes really good that is not a whole days worth of calories ? ;)

Replies

• sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mixed grill is good. Just steak, potatoes, and peppers. It's a huge portion though. I think the apricot chicken is as well, but I've never had it. It probably has a lot of sugar.
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you go to their website, they list the calories for their entire menu :)
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you can ask them to make any pasta dish with wheat pasta as well. But, I hear the apricot chicken is good. The minestrone soup is good, and salad without dressing.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I usually get the kids size spaghetti and meatballs. :) You still get the salad and breadsticks (which I limit to 1)

Nutritional information can be found online:
    http://www.olivegarden.com/menus/garden_fare/nutrition_information.asp
  • sarglava
    Options
    I am pretty sure you can ask them to make any pasta dish with wheat pasta as well. But, I hear the apricot chicken is good. The minestrone soup is good, and salad without dressing.

What's wrong with the dressing? It's just a vinegrette... there's probably something secretive lurking inside though. :/
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I googled "Olive Garden eat this not that" and got this page:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurants/olive-garden

If you click on "User Reviews" below, there are plenty of suggestions there ...
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

What's wrong with the dressing? It's just a vinegrette... there's probably something secretive lurking inside though. :/

Actually it is an Italian dressing and can add up for calories. Always get dressings on the side as a rule of thumb.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You can find nutrition info on their website. I tend to go for soup and salad because I love their pasta e fagioli soup. Most of the dishes there are pretty high if you eat the whole thing, but ask for a to go box and only eat half of it and you are good to go. This practice can really open up options on the menu. I like the idea about asking for whole wheat pasta too, I was going to try that next time I went there.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    i always get apricot chicken with the sauce on the side. It's very delicious, and very low in calories/fat.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    If you go to their website, they list the calories for their entire menu :)

yes! u'll be surprised!

TIPS
    *skip the breadsticks
    *dont get tricked with the salad get light dressing or on the side
    * pay attention to ur portions, only eat half and save the rest for another meal
    *skip the bellinis/wine, drink water :)
  • sarglava
    Options
    Now that I'm looking at their menu... don't get what I told you. AAA! Horrifying!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've just found that the calories in the dressing aren't worth it, and really, the salad without the dressing is good! :)
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    most of their dishes are calorie loaded. You can always see the calorie content on the website and eat only a portion of it and save the rest for later.

They cook in a lot of heavy sauces, and clarified butter which is really fatting!!!! ( just one tablespoon of it has 12g of fat)

btw: most all Chef's cook with this type of butter in a restaurant that serves pasta dishes. Many saute meats and veggies are cooked this way too.

I prefer EVOO when I saute

~Chef Jenn~
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    stuffed mushrooms - 280 calories
    minestrone soup - 100 calories
    pasta e fagioli soup - 130 calories
    zuppa toscana soup - 170 calories
    venetian apricot chicken - 380 calories

these next ones are a biiiiiit too much in my opinion but its the next lowest amounts:
    parmesan crusted tilapia - 590 calories
    seafood brodetto - 480 calories
    herb grilled salmon - 510 calories
    capellini di mare - 650 calories
    cheese ravioli with marinara - 660 calories
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My wife loves the apricot chicken.
    As other have suggested, go to their website. There is a huge difference in the salad WITH compared to WITHOUT the dressing. Almost everything is waaaaaaaaaaay high in sodium.
  • c4297
    c4297 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome ! Thanks so much guys for the great suggestions! this will REALLY help :)
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    stuffed mushrooms - 280 calories
    minestrone soup - 100 calories
    pasta e fagioli soup - 130 calories
    zuppa toscana soup - 170 calories
    venetian apricot chicken - 380 calories

these next ones are a biiiiiit too much in my opinion but its the next lowest amounts:
    parmesan crusted tilapia - 590 calories
    seafood brodetto - 480 calories
    herb grilled salmon - 510 calories
    capellini di mare - 650 calories
    cheese ravioli with marinara - 660 calories

awesome tips! BUMP