minimalist running shoes please help!

Options
Okay I reaaally need help picking out a minimalist running shoe! I am not going to a specialty store to have them shove overpriced cushiony shoes at me, I want minimal. No pronation mumbo jumbo. Having a really hard time swallowing the price tag though. I was looking at the new balance minimum shoes that just came but 100 bucks. I don't like the idea of buying Nike so trying to stay away from Nike free. Any ideas? What do you wear? Barefoot really isn't an option I want to try on asphalt at the park either. And no I'm not starting a minimalist running approach debate :-) I've been looking for weeks and still can't decide!
help!

Replies

• mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do like Nike Frees and Nike Air Rift but what about those "5 Finger" shoes? None of these are cheap, though, I can't think of any that are inexpensive. These here are funny looking but I see more and more of them, as they become more accepted maybe you wouldn't feel silly wearing them?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/womens_footwear.htm
  • findngme
    findngme Posts: 34
    Options
    shoes are important if you're running to support your feet and back but i agree, i can't handle $100 shoes either! i just picked up a pair of new balance running sneakers at modell's for $30 on sale from $60. they're cute and super comfy. good luck!
  • camp_teekay
    camp_teekay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was looking for old school Sauconys for workout shoes, but I couldn't find them in stores. I'm almost sure you can find them online but I was impatient. I ended up getting Nikes, which I was sort of bummed about (also didn't want to end up buying Nikes), but they were the only shoes that didn't look like Robocop. They were around $50. I used to have Classic Sauconys (no bells, whistles, or crazy neon soles) and I remember that they were THE most comfortable sneaker ever, and light as a feather. Oh god, why didn't I just order them online? I'm now full of regret. Sigh...

http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?catId=cat10002&productId=prod80014&skuId=***4*******1044-241*M050&stockNumber=1044-241&showDefaultOption=true

I had these in Navy / light blue! Check out the link above.. $40. And they have vegan options, too!
  • Jodie_Wilson9
    Options
    I wear Asics. I currently run in the Gel Nimbus 12. It's not a bad shoe. It's well constructed, provides great support and comfort for my feet and serves it's purpose for me well. I really like running outdoors in these shoes as they're very well ventilated. I can feel the air through the mesh and material coming through to my sock-covered feet. It feels nice. They can be pricey, too. But you may be able to catch a nice sale somewhere. Best of luck. ^_^
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over a decade and it's important to have a good shoe. Running shoes is the ONLY shoe I spend more than thirty bucks on. They're that important! :) Pronation is something to worry about if you pronate. Pronation is where your ankles tild inward or outward and your ankles don't like up with your knees which also throw your hips out of wack. Therefore, you definitely need a supportive shoe. Any running store can help you find the right one! I LOVE new balance. I've tried just about every brand on the market but NB just fits my foot the best.

My advice in a nutshell. Spend the money, you wont regret it. You only need to buy them every year give or take.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out vibrams? Doesn't get any more minimal than that.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting alternative - http://lunasandals.com/

I'm not recommending for or against it them; just something you might consider. I just happened to meet the guy who started the company at a party some months ago and was intrigued.
  • Sarahmami
    Sarahmami Posts: 18
    Options
    I bought my aasics at Kohls for 35 bucks. They are gel shoes and super comfy!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've found it's best to spend the money for a good shoe. Most of my running shoes have been between $85 and $105 and I've been really glad I spent the money. I initially bought shoes that felt ok and didn't cost over $60-$70. After a few weeks, my feet just ached. When I've tried the REALLY expensive shoes, I don't notice any difference when compared to the mid priced ones. And don't forget that most support has been beaten out of running shoes in about 500-750 miles.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    if you are logging in the miles your shoes are super important.....and that means not buying the cheapies on the sale rack. I would go to a performance footwear store and get your gait analyzed. This is free. That way you know what type of shoe u really need. Some people are neutral runners, some are over or under pronated....in any case the right shoe makes a big difference. I go back and forth between Asics (more cushiony) for long runs.....and for 5ks and under i wear nike free runs. they are super awesome but u really have to train in them.
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like new balance as well but they can be pretty pricey but it's also not too hard to find them on sale. amazon has a lot of running shoes for decent prices
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    At least go the store and try some on and if you are uncomfortable with the price, walk out. They will forget about you when they make the next sale. I bought Newtons, $100 sounds cheap to me, I really like them. They fit me, they complement my running style, hardly anyone knows what in the heck they are. I tried on a lot of shoes, all of them cheaper, I bought the ones I wanted to run in. If I had bought online I would have bought the Nike Free, I hated them! Worst shoe I ever put my feet in. I would have been real sorry. I have a pair of Nike trail shoes I love. Let someone fit you, buy from them if you can you will not be sorry. Money well spent beats money wasted every day.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I tried the Nike Free's & they give me blisters due to the amount and difficulty of my workouts.

I have been using Vibram 5 Finger shoes (I bought the KSO's) and I am in LOVE! They're amazing and VERY minimalistic!

Hope this helps!

-Chancy
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    The perfect go-to site for minimal footwear period is www.birthdayshoes.com
    He stays up on all the latest.

Also check out Gola. I have been running in the "Chase" model for almost a year (very minimal and got mine for 20 bucks on sale at a local Famous Footwear, but they are on sites like endless.com) and I just ordered my first pair of Vibrams to replace them. My feet are going to be so happy. Happy feet = Happy running = Happy Me :)

Good for you for going minimal!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my Inov8's. Great for running and lifting.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Shoes are worth the price tag. I'm a minimalist runner and I run in the Vibram Five Fingers. They're a good 80-100 bucks but they are well worth the money. I currently run in the VFF Sprints, but I'm looking to get a pair or Komodos or Biklas. I'm wearing out the sole on the Sprints super fast and the Bilkas and Komodo's have thicker/tougher pads in the area I wear out quickly. I definitely suggest the Vibram Five Fingers. They're tough shoes, and incredibly comfortable and I no longer have the foot problems (shin splints) I used to have with shoes when running.

Also consider this: Cheap things come at an expensive price (like cheap shoes come at the price of pained feet and the more abstract price of piss poor labor practices in other countries- like Walmart's and Nike's piss poor labor practices for example.) I'm willing to spend good money on a product I know is good, comfortable and has good labor and environmental practices.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The perfect go-to site for minimal footwear period is www.birthdayshoes.com
    He stays up on all the latest.

Handy! Thanks! I will definitely be looking at this come spring.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over a decade and it's important to have a good shoe. Running shoes is the ONLY shoe I spend more than thirty bucks on. They're that important! :) Pronation is something to worry about if you pronate. Pronation is where your ankles tilt inward or outward and your ankles don't like up with your knees which also throw your hips out of wack. Therefore, you definitely need a supportive shoe. Any running store can help you find the right one! I LOVE new balance. I've tried just about every brand on the market but NB just fits my foot the best.

My advice in a nutshell. Spend the money, you wont regret it. You only need to buy them every year give or take.

I'm not a runner, but I would love to be. Difficult when you have a chronic case of plantar fascitis. Pronation is when your inside heel wears more than your outside heel. Ankle turns in. Supination is when your outside heel wears more than your inside. Ankle turns out. Look at your everyday shoe and see where the wear is. It is important to purchase a shoe that will correct your gait pattern when running or you run the risk of turning your ankle and tearing tendons. Very difficult to heal.. I don't want to sound like a know it all, but I am a physical therapist assistant and I love to analyze gait patterns. Don't be afraid to spend money on your shoes. You only get one pair of feet. Knees and hips can be replaced. Like I said, I wish I could run, but right now.....I can't.
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend you go to a runner's shop. You have a particular gait when you run and you need shoes that fit correctly to avoid injury. You can get your first pair at the running shop, than order future pairs online (to save money).
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try a pair and see how they work too, I think the five finger ones would make me self conscious, they just draw too much attention, do the minimalist ones you are talking about mimic the five finger ones without the appearance of "feet"? Just curious too!