Vitamin Definciency?

Options
So after 3 months of joining this website, I've really begun to see progress which makes me so excited!

But there are also some things that concern me:

1. Headaches ALL the time
2. Exhausted all the time, I literally sleep at all hours now

I know this is possibly a fault of my own eating wise and would really appreciate if someone could look at my journal and tell me if I'm missing out on something?
My mother's going to buy me a multivitamin to help, but I'm wondering if that really will help.

Thanks!

Replies

• Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Fatigue and headaches are often caused by dehydration...
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Protein!!!! You're not getting much at all. I'm vegetarian and get mine from dairy, seeds and whole grains. Try adding more protein and see if that helps. I know I am sometimes too low on iron, so take a look at that and see if you're getting enough.
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So after 3 months of joining this website, I've really begun to see progress which makes me so excited!

I know this is possibly a fault of my own eating wise and would really appreciate if someone could look at my journal and tell me if I'm missing out on something?
    My mother's going to buy me a multivitamin to help, but I'm wondering if that really will help.

Thanks!

3 months on this website. good job.
    headaches can be caused by anything and normally it is because of what you ate previously. sugar causes headaches. there is an ingredient in doritos that is an an array of other chip type processed foods that actually one of the side effects is a headache. and i glanced and your diary and i saw like cookies and what now so. i recommend reading skinny ***** you can rent from your lbrary. also a good multi would be good from gnc they have maximum greens i would recommend that so you get the daily vitamins plus your fruit and veggies.

good luck. if the problem gets worse i would see a nutrionist and wouldnt mask the headache issue with medicine. your body is trying to tell you something even if its something little. i would def recommend skinny ***** though they break down ingredients and make things easier to understand
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Go to "Reports" and click "nutrition" and then look at the different vitamin reports on your food diary. I did that and it made me realize I need to go back to taking a mutli-vitamin. . it showed me a few more things I need to keep in mind.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I had iron deficiency for a long time and had those same symptoms. I didn't know it until I was in the ER and they did blood work on me. Check and see how much iron you are taking in.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I suggest having a metabolic blood panel done. I just had one done and they found that I have extremely low vitamin D and too high of calcium. I get headaches, dizziness, muscle fatigue (that could be the 2-a-days though), and I've been extremely tired.
  • baabybabs
    Options
    I'm vegan and I take VegLife's Vegan Iron (which gives me the b12 I'd otherwise struggle to get from my diet!). I have energy all the time now. Once I felt as you did and that's when my caloric intake was really low. And now as long as I get 1200 cal (I'll eat more if I burn more than 250 calories, which is hardly ever) I am doing great. I've been losing weight steadily. So just make sure you eat enough according to how much you work out and I'm sure the multivitamin will help some! :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    In addition to all these killer suggestions... I would strongly suggest not eating less than a good 150-190 carbs. Especially if youre working out. They're your first source of energy, and yours happen to be super low..
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    In my opinion you aren't eating enough, and you're not getting enough protein... I noticed several entries that just said quick calories added 230... but no other info... so I'm not sure what the food was, or if there was protein etc.

But, you are consistently waaaaay below the 1200 mark, and if you stay below that, your body thinks it's starving. It can cause fatigue and headaches, I know this from my own experience. So, try to eat a few more calories, but try to make sure it's a good mix of complex carbs like whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole wheat pasta and proteins. The whey powder protein shakes you are getting are good, but you may need to add some healthy carbs just so your body has some fuel for energy.

Keep up the good work and hang in there.
  • vanrunninggirl
    Options

Thanks!

3 months on this website. good job.
    headaches can be caused by anything and normally it is because of what you ate previously. sugar causes headaches. there is an ingredient in doritos that is an an array of other chip type processed foods that actually one of the side effects is a headache. and i glanced and your diary and i saw like cookies and what now so. i recommend reading skinny ***** you can rent from your lbrary. also a good multi would be good from gnc they have maximum greens i would recommend that so you get the daily vitamins plus your fruit and veggies.

good luck. if the problem gets worse i would see a nutrionist and wouldnt mask the headache issue with medicine. your body is trying to tell you something even if its something little. i would def recommend skinny ***** though they break down ingredients and make things easier to understand

the ingredient in chips and stuff is MSG (monosodium g... something) - it gives me immediate effects - headache, numbness of the mouth, foggy and lethargic feeling, like immediately, but it's in LOTS of things - pretty much anything you didn't make yourself that's salty. also, i have an ongoing problem with iron deficiency. If you don't eat enough red meat and leafy greens, this sounds like the symptoms to a tee. A simple blood test would give you lots more information.

Good luck!
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    Oh... and read ingredient labels on the whole wheat bread... make sure one of the first ingredients is actually whole wheat and not enriched flour. otherwise, it's just like buying white bread. Same with the whole wheat pastas.... they get tricky trying to get people to buy their stuff.....
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I liked what Kendallan had to say -- and good book, too. I only went back a few days or so, but it definitely looks like you need more protein, esp since you are working out, you need protein to build muscle and burn fat. The protein drinks are good, but you need food source protein as well. Think about munching on a serving of almonds or some almond butter on a rice cake instead of cookies. Sure they are only 100 calories, but they are still processed "food" and full of sugar. You definitely need more water (I have trouble with this as well, but I'm working on it!)

I am a vegetarian and iron is an issue for me as well, I know if I am low I get really tired and headaches. I have my diary set to track iron and it helps. I am Hypothyroid, too, and if my thyroid is off, it will also produce these symtpoms, among others.

You may want to have your doc run a few tests -- cbc (will cover iron, too) and thyroid.

Lucy
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough and you definitely need TONS more protein!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I'm vegan and I take VegLife's Vegan Iron (which gives me the b12 I'd otherwise struggle to get from my diet!). I have energy all the time now. Once I felt as you did and that's when my caloric intake was really low. And now as long as I get 1200 cal (I'll eat more if I burn more than 250 calories, which is hardly ever) I am doing great. I've been losing weight steadily. So just make sure you eat enough according to how much you work out and I'm sure the multivitamin will help some! :)
    I just had labs yesterday to check on my iron again. Was anemic the last time. Think I will check this out if I am still low. Thanks!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Oh... and read ingredient labels on the whole wheat bread... make sure one of the first ingredients is actually whole wheat and not enriched flour. otherwise, it's just like buying white bread. Same with the whole wheat pastas.... they get tricky trying to get people to buy their stuff.....
    Wheat in general is not good for a lot of people (they just don't know it). I would suggest a Spelt bread or sprouted grains. There are many gluten free breads and pastas now that are much better for you!
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has responded, ironically I fell asleep after reading this. I will definitely add in more water, and when I go to give blood next week, at least that will tell me if my iron is low or not. I'll also arrange an appointment with my doctor.

kendallan, I've heard a lot about that book, will check it out from the library, thanks!
    In my opinion you aren't eating enough, and you're not getting enough protein... I noticed several entries that just said quick calories added 230... but no other info... so I'm not sure what the food was, or if there was protein etc.

The quick calories was a turkey and black bean burger, I wasn't able to find a correct entry for it, so there's protein in that at least.
    In addition to all these killer suggestions... I would strongly suggest not eating less than a good 150-190 carbs. Especially if youre working out. They're your first source of energy, and yours happen to be super low..

Will definitely try to add in more carbs, I hadn't realized mine were low.