Rib Pain after doing 30 Day Shred

Options
I started doing the 30 Day Shred this past Sunday. I have done it everyday since then. On day three, I started having a slight pain below my left breast. It was just in one spot and feels very sore if I push on it. Yesterday, it started hurting even worse when I would breathe in really deep. Today, I feel like I am being stabbed every time I sneeze or breathe deeply. With my seasonal allergies, sneezing happens A LOT!

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of pain after doing either the 30 Day Shred or any other upper body workouts.

Any feedback would be great! :)

Replies

• Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Happened to me last week!! I'm doing a 90 personal training class...actually a lot like the shred. It hurt to breath!! That was on Monday, by Friday it was much better.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    huh...almost sounds like when I had a bruised rib?!

I am no doctor, but that is what it was like for me. I wonder if you may have bruised one during the workout somehow? Or even just a slight pulled muscle in your side?

Hmm..curious to see what others say.

Hope it is better soon!! :grumble:
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I had the same thing, but it was on my back and from doing turbo jam. I went to the doctor because I was in so much pain. I had pulled a muscle. It took a few weeks for my back to feel better. One of the exercises that felt really good was doing yoga. All the stretching helped a ton.
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Most likely is from the very small and delicate muscles around your ribs seperating a bit from the actual rib...if you were to do a really hard weight lifting routine after not doing anything for a while your whole body would feel like that. I wouldnt worry about it too much, try using heat and ice and see if that makes it feel any better, if the pain continues see your physician, but even for a bruised or broken rib there is little they will do.
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have had that feeling with a particular exercise that I do first few times I did it I felt like I had bruised ribs I asked a fitness instructor about it and she said it was where I was working my obliques and they hadnt worked in a long time lol! After a couple of days it was fine :)
  • MannAmanda
    Options
    I had this and I talked to a doctor about it. He told me It was more than likely a pinched nerve. Nothing serious. While working out somehow the nerve got smooshed. LOL I asked him to fix it he said they fix themselves.... LOL Hope this helps....
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I went jumping on my sons trampoline, thinking I was great because I managed 50 without stopping (and without any prior exercise in about a year)... a few days after my partner had to take me to A&E becuase I was crippled with rib pain... I was very embarrassed to learn I had pulled my muscels too hard.. 'have you done any vigirous exercise or strained yourself recently?' the nurse asked...my face went hot as I admitted to trying to out-jump my children on the trampoline!! 'Oh', she says...'you might want to take it easy and take a couple painkillers'......

Cut a long embarrassing story short...you may I have pulled something... Im doing 30 Day Shred, I started on monday... I blame it on Jillian...she really pushes you and shes soooooo convincing! I've done part of it before so I know what to expect... But I advise, if its really really really bad, then go see your doc just to clearify....

Good luck with the Shred..stick at it but do low impact for a while and remember, it doesnt have to be completed in 30 days at all...
  • lmtrevin
    lmtrevin Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the posts, everyone. I am glad to see this is not just me. Yes, before this workout I have not done a lot of upper body exercises so a lot of what is being said makes sense. My main concern is if I should just work through the pain (like I have for the past two days) or if doing that just aggravates it. I'll give it some time and try to work through to see what happens. I was also concerned because of the lack of pain on the right side. I guess my body has less strength on the left side since I am right handed. Who knows!

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the posts, everyone. I am glad to see this is not just me. Yes, before this workout I have not done a lot of upper body exercises so a lot of what is being said makes sense. My main concern is if I should just work through the pain (like I have for the past two days) or if doing that just aggravates it. I'll give it some time and try to work through to see what happens. I was also concerned because of the lack of pain on the right side. I guess my body has less strength on the left side since I am right handed. Who knows!

I'd say just you body a rest for 2 days till the pain dies down... or if you really dont want to, just workout at low impact...however if the pain is getting worse, go stright to your doc

xx
  • lmtrevin
    Options
    That happened to me when I went jumping on my sons trampoline, thinking I was great because I managed 50 without stopping (and without any prior exercise in about a year)... a few days after my partner had to take me to A&E becuase I was crippled with rib pain... I was very embarrassed to learn I had pulled my muscels too hard.. 'have you done any vigirous exercise or strained yourself recently?' the nurse asked...my face went hot as I admitted to trying to out-jump my children on the trampoline!! 'Oh', she says...'you might want to take it easy and take a couple painkillers'......

Cut a long embarrassing story short...you may I have pulled something... Im doing 30 Day Shred, I started on monday... I blame it on Jillian...she really pushes you and shes soooooo convincing! I've done part of it before so I know what to expect... But I advise, if its really really really bad, then go see your doc just to clearify....

Good luck with the Shred..stick at it but do low impact for a while and remember, it doesnt have to be completed in 30 days at all...

Trampoline jumping is fun for us too!! Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if it had anything to do with all the jumping jacks. Darn Jillian!! Good luck with the shred!!
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to work through it and monitor its condition. Make sure you do some active stretching before your workouts and then some static stretching post workout. Also consider a nice hot bath with some epsom salt. I find that when my muscles are tore up (thats actually lactic acid getting into all those little muscle tears) if I start taking time off they will just hurt again next time. I work through it, grit my teeth for the first week, stretch...ice...heat and vitamins and protein. The body will build the muscle in this area and it wont hurt any more...but this is totally based on the idea that it is simply a sore muscle pulling away a bit from the rib.

• lmtrevin
    Options
    Thanks! I understand the taking time off conflict. Thanks for all the advice. Now the journey to find my heating pad begins!
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    I had something similar, I went to the doctor, I'd pulled a muscle, seemed like a very weird place to pull one, but I guess it's possible... LOL....

Keep an eye on it, and maybe go a little easier on the exercises for that general area... if it gets worse, go see a doctor to make sure it's not anything more severe.

I ordered the 30 day shred... it shipped on the 4th, anticipated delivery of the 25th..... OMG... I'm getting antsy to start this... I also ordered her yoga one, the fat burner boost metabolism one, and no more trouble zones... LOL
  • lmtrevin
    Options
    I had something similar, I went to the doctor, I'd pulled a muscle, seemed like a very weird place to pull one, but I guess it's possible... LOL....

Keep an eye on it, and maybe go a little easier on the exercises for that general area... if it gets worse, go see a doctor to make sure it's not anything more severe.

I ordered the 30 day shred... it shipped on the 4th, anticipated delivery of the 25th..... OMG... I'm getting antsy to start this... I also ordered her yoga one, the fat burner boost metabolism one, and no more trouble zones... LOL

The 30 day Shred is amazing! I don't remember the last time I felt sweat on every inch of my body like this dvd brings. Good luck! Let me know which of all those you like the best. :)