Vitamin D, the weight loss vitamin!

Options
Hey all-

I just read an article about the wonder vitamin D. Most of us are sorely deficient, and if we supplement with this, it can really aid in weight loss. "Recent research, combined with the results from the University of Minnesota found that an average woman can lose a pound a week for every 2,200 IU of vitamin D she takes daily." Holy Vitamin D, Batman! A pound a week! The article goes on to say "Women should ideally be on a minimum of 2,000 IU's a day, and that can be on top of their calcium with vitamin D and the D they're getting from their diet and or sensible sun exposure," Michael F. Holick M.D. PhD., a professor of medicine at the Boston University School of Medicne says. "If you're overweight, I'd recommend two to three times that much, up to a maximum of 10,000 IU daily."

1000 IU is really only 25 micrograms. The governments recommends 400 IU, which is only 10 micrograms, "a basically meaningless amount" says Dr. John J.Cannell, founder and executive director of the Vitamin D Council.

Dr. Holick advises that a daily dose of 10,000 IU or less of vitamin D is safe, but check with your doctor to see if you are deficient. Most doctors themselves take between 3,000 IU to 10,000 IU, with the average being 5,000 IU.

I was tested, and I was very deficient, my levels barely registering. I wake up with a lot of muscle and joint soreness, and when I remember to take my D, it always manages to go away. Vitamin D also improves your mood, helps drop cholesterol, and boost mental alertness. I'm going to up my dosage, and concentrate on remembering to take it.

All of the information quoted above came from First for women, the 11/29/10 issue.

Replies

• MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you so much for the awesome post! I'm going to start taking my Vitamin D tomorrow! Very eye opening.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was put on Vit D drops because my level was somewhere around 23. Pretty low. Granted I can't tan and live in Michigan, and when we get sun it is not a nice sun like being in Ecuador or something. It also helps fight and protect us against cancer cells - very important, obviously. It is just now getting mainstream attention, but Vit D has been a topic of discussion in the natural health community for a long time now.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be careful with any supplements. There is such a thing as too much.....and vitamin D comes in so many different sources.
    Definitely talk to a Dr. or certified nutritionist before starting any diet or supplement.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My aunt sent me a similar article; it might have been the same that you read. I'm really debating about starting on Vitamin D now. I mean, it can't hurt right?
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 units twice a day and I have not lost any wieght from it. I have been doing that for about a year. So dont bank on it. Thats just my experience:)
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have a severe vitamin D deficiency because my kidney's don't synthesize it. I take 50,000 IU's weekly... haven't lost any weight yet (gained 10 though)... I'll be interested to see if taking the supplement will get me past my plateau and recent gain.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My dr told be about this just the other day...that everyone should take an additional 2000 units per day. I still need to get me some, thanks for the reminder! :flowerforyou:
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting! I remember when I had blood work done last Spring, my Vitamin D levels were very low.. 13. So I had to take Vit D for a few months but stopped......I wonder if I should take it again.
  • mtngoddess
    mtngoddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything about the weight loss connection, but it makes sense since more vitamin D gives us more energy. I've been on mega-dose vitamin D treatment off and on for about a year because of a severe deficiency. I've learned that we need 35 IU per pound of body weight to remain within the normal range. So, someone who weighs 200 lbs. needs 7000 IU/day. If you are deficient, you'll need more than that. Doctors can prescribe 50,000 or 100,000 IU doses.

One thing that I was not aware of before seeing a nutritionist is that vitamin D is fat-soluble. My diet used to contain almost no fat, so it didn't matter how much I took, my body couldn't absorb it. We need 10-20 grams of saturated fat daily in order to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. Now that I've got some healthy fats in my life (yogurt, cheese, etc.), my vitamin D levels have been higher each time it's tested.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great post.

Do you have a link that I can check out the article. Sounds like it would be full of good advice.

Thanks
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    My last blood work I was deficient in Vitamin D. Was told I was at 8 and should be over 40 (whatever that means). So I am on a prescription for Vit D now too.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    I was put on Vit D drops because my level was somewhere around 23. Pretty low. Granted I can't tan and live in Michigan, and when we get sun it is not a nice sun like being in Ecuador or something. It also helps fight and protect us against cancer cells - very important, obviously. It is just now getting mainstream attention, but Vit D has been a topic of discussion in the natural health community for a long time now.

Oh yes, thank you, I forgot to mention that (according to the article) taking 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily and reduce the risk of developing Upper respiratory infections by 90%, all cancers by 70%, Rheumatioid arthritis by 42%, Multiple sclerorsis by 40% and Type 2 diabetes by 33%. All I can say is WOW! : D Like it was posted earlier, can't hurt, right?
  • azuremornings
    Options
    It can do harm if you get too much. From what I understand is very unlikely to get too much, but do talk to a doctor. If not find out if a local medical lab will do it without a referral (though you'll probably have to pay).
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Great post.

Do you have a link that I can check out the article. Sounds like it would be full of good advice.

Thanks

I don't know if the magazine is published online. It was the 11/29/10 issueof First for Women.
  • mtngoddess
    mtngoddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It can do harm if you get too much. From what I understand is very unlikely to get too much, but do talk to a doctor. If not find out if a local medical lab will do it without a referral (though you'll probably have to pay).

My doctor and every other medical professional I've spoken with have said that you can't get too much vitamin D. The body won't store more than it can use. Excess is flushed from the body through the kidneys daily. Other vitamins can be dangerous in high doses, this one won't harm anything but your wallet if you're taking too much.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I just got tested two weeks ago... I go in for a follow up exam in the morning. My vit D level was 0 out of 40 and my calcium was too high, but that's due to a kidney issue that I have. I just started at 50,000 IU's weekly for 3 months to see if that helps bring mine to normal.
  • suzieatkinson
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I am not currently taking a Vitamin D supplement but will most definatley start soon. I love the natural Vitamin D you get from the sun but I recently quit smoking so I am trying to get rid of the things that make me age. A little every morning makes my day so much better!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I took Vitamin D until I figured out that it was that supplement that was giving me allergy-like symptoms. The white of my eye would swell up and my eyes would water and be itchy, Took me a while to isolate it down to that one supplement since i had never had a problem with allergies before. Now that I stopped taking it though I have not had a problem. I guess my body was telling me I already have enough D in me. :laugh:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My sister (who is big into natural medicine) told me recently that if you shower right after spending time in the sun, you are "showering off" the benefits of the vitamin D that you just got from the sun. I am not sure how long you are supposed to wait, maybe a few hours, I would guess? I'd have to read more about that to know. But I thought that was interesting.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Is it regular Vitamin D or Vitamin D3? The Vitamin D comes in 400IU capsules, but I can't see myself taking 5+ pills, to be honest!