My doc says I can't exercise anymore

Options
I threw my back out in December. Since then, I've been going to spinal decompression sessions and wearing a brace, as well as taking non-addictive prescription pain management pills. I'm not back to 100% yet but I'm doing pretty well. I've been working out at least half an hour a day (step aerobics and other high-burn activities on the Wii mostly) for the past few weeks.

My chiropractor doesn't charge me a co-pay. That's the main reason I go to this guy. I'm not really impressed with the staff and I'm sure I could get these results from any decent chiropractor in town, but I don't have a budget for 3x/week co-pays. So now I'm starting physical therapy with a therapist in the same office. I don't like this guy. He doesn't listen to me, he made me describe my pain repeatedly for about ten minutes like he'd never heard of bulging discs before, he cuts me off when I'm talking, and he said I can't do my workout any more.

It's not like I'm walking five miles on the Wii. Just stepping for half an hour. I don't have a car so I walk a lot anyway, even if it's just to the bus or the train. According to my pedometer, it's about 750 steps from the bus to the chiro office each way, so every time I go it's 1400 steps. I do about 3000 steps on the Wii. Yeah, I should hold off on stuff that really works my back (hula hoop, most of the yoga and strength training, stuff like that) but I don't see any harm in just basic stepping on and stepping off the 4" high Wii board.

I don't want to change chiro offices because I'm missing work due to my back so I can't cover the co-pays for 3x/week sessions. Complaining to the staff or my chiro won't help. I complained last month about one of their nurses or whatever who was rushing me off the chiro equipment and since that day I have had her helping me exclusively, instead of one of the three or four other nurses in the office.

So I have two questions: one, do you think if I went to another chiro or physical therapist and said "Hey, Dr. X isn't charging me a co-pay but my insurance is giving him a mess of money. How about you get the money from my insurance instead, and we keep on with the no co-pay?" - would that work? And two, is the PT right about a basic workout? I have a huge weight loss goal and I know if I stop working out now I won't ever start again. I've only lost 7 pounds these past three weeks but I'm motivated now and I don't want to lose momentum.

Sorry for the very long post. I'm just really frustrated right now and I don't know what to do.

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I've been to two different chiropractors and neither charged me a co-pay. One even put me on a $100/month plan for unlimited adjustments and appointments before I had insurance. My dad's also been to a few different and none have charged a copay each time (once a month, i believe). Look around, you don't want to spend 3 days a week with people who are rude!
  • aieraelyn
    Options
    I'd at least get a second opinon on the no exercise thing. If not from another chiropracter than perhaps a physical therapist. It does sound like the office isn't a good fit for you. If your giving them your money, they should do right by you. Including making sure their people aren't giving you trouble. Call around about the co pay thing as well. It can't hurt as far as I can tell. If a second physical therapist, or chiropractor echoes the first, then it's probably legit, if not.....Just be patient in whatever you do. Loosing weight it important, but so is healing your back.
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I don't know about the co-pay, but I say dump the a-hole Chiropractor and physical therapist and find some one that you like and trust. They don't all know everything, and quite a few of them know very little. . . and then they're a-holes on top of that. You deserve a doctor that respects you and knows about what you need and is willing to find solutions for you.

Sorry, I was getting a good rant started there. :explode:

Mike
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A. 7 pounds in three weeks is great and is what you should expect to lose while still staying healthy.

B. Any doctor, PT, chiropractor, etc. should charge a co-pay if your insurance requires one. If your insurance card says you have a co-pay and an office doesn't have you pay it at the time of service it's essentially a breach of contract. You know you're supposed to pay it, the office knows you're supposed to pay it. You'll be charged for it eventually. If you don't have a co-pay (per your insurance) no office should charge you anything unless they require payment at the time of service which may or may not be reimbursed by your insurance company.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'd shop around and ask other Chiro's in the area. If you don't and you stay with a guy who tells you not to exercise you'll be going to these guys forever! It's great to see the Chiro to get things back in place but you're going to need a competent person to help you build and strengthen the muscles around your problem area or you'll never get back to feeling good. When my DH had whiplash the first PT was like your guy and DH got re-injured very easily. The second PT he went to worked with him to strengthen his entire back, concentrating on the lower back and core for stability and he's never had to go back for any further problems. Someone who is good at what they do will look at the big picture and help you set a realistic goal about what to expect from treatment.
  • drjoshcole
    Options
    You can try and find another chiropractor that will wave the co-pay but what you have to understand is that it is technically illegal to do that. If the insurance companies find out about the waiving co-pay then they could be in major trouble.

All chiropractors are not created equal. I wish I could point you in the right direction but unless you live in Nashville, TN I can't. As far as walking goes that is the best thing for your back because it allows the discs to get the nutrition they need. It sounds like the doctor you are going to doesn't have a good grasp on what is truly going on.
  • Bockety
    Bockety Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I think I'll sit the PT down and have a talk with him about his attitude towards me, and if he keeps it up I'll just walk out.

I thought the no copay thing was illegal, too, but since I threw my back out my hours have been cut to 40-50/week to about 12 (if I'm lucky) so I didn't question it.
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    It seems your medical care provider is covered. Your health care professionals may be right, your exercise may hurt you. I know your pain, I have bulging disks, I have had surgery to correct a ruptured disk. Impact is your enemy. Low impact or no impact may still be possible. So, be very careful and think it through. When I started I wanted to lose my weight with exercise alone, I wanted to eat! I did not lose an ounce until I got my nutrition under control. I believe I could lose plenty of weight even if I could not exercise. Now this will sound hypocritical if you saw my workouts now, but, it is still true. In fact since I have been training for triathlon I have only lost a couple of pounds since November. I have to fuel my exercise and if I run a deficit I bonk. I have chosen to make the trade. In April I am going back to losing weight, I will exercise a lot less and eat a lot less. Take care of your back, I have never been more miserable than when my back hurt. I did what I was told and rehabbed it, now I am free. Loosing weight is a gift for your back. You can do it, even without exercise. The pool is were I would be, almost no impact.