Slim Fast

Options
Okay. I feel like I may get some backlash, but here goes anyway.

Does anyone have any info about Slim Fast? I don't intend on making it a lifestyle, but just something to try for a few weeks to get myself motivated. School is just crazy and grabbing a shake would be so much easier than planning all my meals anymore.

Replies

• strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like Silm Fast more because of the taste...

Honestly, imo, I do think its a great grab and go meal replacement as it as a lot of nutrients you do need. I personally say have that instead of skipping breakfast. I would still try to plan out your meals and use slim fast on days you are seriously in a rush... planning meals will get easier
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake for breakfast most mornings, and I am no expert, but I didn't see anything wrong with that, good protein, low cals, I can't eat food food for breakfast, so this is perfect!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I haven't done slim fast in so long, but right now I am doing Optifast which I am doing through a hospital. If people give you backlash, screw them. I don't think it would hurt to use it as a meal replacement especially if you are constantly running around and busy most days with school. It's a quicker and better option than grabbing something at a drive thru window.
  • jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good motivator. It helped me get started changing my diet & helped me to get in the habit of having SOME kind breakfast. I personally LOVE chocolate royale slimfast. But then I decided to cut dairy out of my diet (still working on it) and the slimfast had to go.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I always grab a slimfast for breakfast or snack because they are so quick and easy .... I love the taste and just watch the sugar intake with them which is the only reason i dont use more of them a day
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Protein drinks are a great, fast option. If slim fast works for you that's great. As a diabetic - I researched all the drinks and due to the high sugar content slim fast is not an option for me. Glucerna is great, but I usually stick with the Adkins drink - high protein, low carbs and very low sugars. I'm use to the taste - but it might turn others off. Do whatever works for YOU! :drinker:
  • Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i usually have one of the meal replacement bars - the chocolate one - I find yummy. The breakfast I usually ate before Slimfast bar was a 90 calorie granola bar. I switched to Slimfast because I was looking to get more protein and vitamins.
  • jdseiders
    jdseiders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the Special K protein drinks. They're a quick grab for me when I am work. I think they taste better than Slim Fast, but it's been years since I had one of those.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is very high in sugar and low in protein which is what keeps you full. If you'd like to do a shake diet or meal replacement thing buy yourself some whey protein. Will keep you full and lower in cals with almost no sugar. I looked into Ensure and even Pediasure which is for kids recently as well. Sooooooo high in cals, fat and sugar. It would be just as smart to give kids 2 regular cokes a day.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :blushing:

I gotta tell ya....I did Slim Fast 2X a day for 2 years several years ago and unfortunately didn't eat alot of other foods. (crazy time in my life) to give my body real food with necessary nutrients.

I definitely lost weight but the cost was that it really messed up my whole digestive system so when that all had to stop, I gained weight back from just eating what would be a normal diet! It was weird!

I guess I might have a sensitive system :cry:

So, if I were gonna drink it again I would probably put it in my blender with ice (for more water) and some frozen fruits like blueberries/ strawberries, etc to give it more substance and nutrtion!

It wouldn't make a bad base for a healthier smoothie so to speak.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Best!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    oh and I like to agree with the post above me, it doesn't really give you the protein that you need to be considered enough of a meal I think

ok that's all!

:flowerforyou:
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I personally like the taste of the Special K protein shakes better then the Slim fast shakes. But that is only if you are using the ready made drinks if you are shaking up your own with the powder the slimfast tastes good. There is nothing wrong with grabbing a protein shake to go in the morning or even at lunch just make sure you are getting in a piece of fruit or some vegies with them. Can't skip on your fruits and vegies. Another good grab and go breakfast thing is the emerald nut breakfast packs that have nuts dried fruit and sometimes chocolate I used to take a couple of those with me to class along with my special K shake and could eat them while in class.
  • genessabice
    Options
    Have you ever looked into Shakeology? Just a thought. It is what I drink and absolutely love it. There is even comparison chart of Shakeology vs Slim Fast, Monavie, Jamba Juice Acai, and Muscle Milk...none of them have all the awesome ingredients of Shakeology. As with anything it is all about ingredients and how they are made. Most foods and drinks are broken down so much in the process of making them that you dont even get all the proper nutrients. Shakeology is made up of 70 whole food ingredients with TONS of research and studies and doctors to back it. Mine is chocolate but I have also tried their Greenberry. Hit me up if you want to know anything else about it and I'll try to help ya out. I have a website you can visit as well to get lots of info, ingredients list, ect. Like is said, its all about ingredients and how they are processed that gives you the real benefits of the product. :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into Shakeology? ....

Let her know it's also $119 a month plus shipping. That's quite the investment especially if you are only trying to kick-start weight loss or do a crash diet before an important event which seems to be the intent of the op.

In the future Shakeology can be an option but until you clean out your entire system, change your life and get into a healthy BMI range, it really isn't worth the investment IMO. And please, for the love of god DONT buy the Greenberry, it is sooooo very nasty! Chocolate one was rich and tasty though (I received 2 samples).
  • iamkelskels
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had no idea about the high sugar/low protein of Slimfast, and I really like the test-- especially the Chocolate Roayle!-- so I wouldn't mind it at all. I'll do some more compare and contrast and look into a cost/nutritional benefit before I decided which one to actually use.

I would love to try Shakeology, but it's just too expensive. I would be paying this out of my own pocket, so 120 bucks per month just isn't in the works right now :(

I think I'll visit a GMC or other health store at home before I decide which one to buy. Thanks :)