Psyllium Husks

Options
Does anyone else use Psyllium Husk as a source of fiber. And if so, powder or tablet form? And if powder... any suggestions on what to put it in...water? food? etc. I tried it in Crystal Lite and it turned to gelatin before I could drink the whole bottle. I tried it in my oatmeal and I can't even describe what it did to it.... "concrete sludge" maybe?...lol. I thinking maybe I should just opt for the tablet form.

Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i have taken them in gel form and honestly, it didn't work...I took 2 gels a day for 2 weeks and nothing really happened...I went back to eating more fruit instead...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You could try Metamucil. That is what is recommended by most doctors. It uses this type of fiber (still best to get through foods but that can be hard when your on a calorie restriction). They have it in orange flavor and you have to drink it fast because it can do the same thing - turn into a gel.
  • sepatown410
    Options
    i have taken them in gel form and honestly, it didn't work...I took 2 gels a day for 2 weeks and nothing really happened...I went back to eating more fruit instead...

I agree with this completely. I've been taking the prescribed amount of caplets for 3 weeks and haven't noticed much of anything. Just going to finish the bottle I have and not order more. Not sure why my brother swears by the stuff...
  • blobrien
    blobrien Posts: 7
    Options
    My husband uses the powder form and puts it in just plain water or his grapefruit/matte mix. It has done wonders for him.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I mix it into a glass of orange juice but you do have to drink it pretty quick or it goes to gel, also sometimes add it to yoghurt, takes longer to gel up then. 1 tablespoon to a glass of OJ but only 1 heaped teaspoon to a yoghurt. If you're not used to downing drinks divide the daily dose up into several smaller doses, 1 teaspoon in a glass of OJ was fine
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I use Metamucil in the unflavored powdered version although the orange sugar free is good too.. My Dr. recommended it and for me works just great........ (so 1 tsp 3 times a day more or less)

My advice is to take it spread out through the day as then it gets into your intestines that way and moves things along more easier and more like you ate a food with fiber in it?!?

And with alot of water each time at least a full glass.

I tried what you did - put it in other things and the kids thought THAT was funny........ ;>)

For me the pills were a hassle, because you have to take so many of them (is it 6 or so??)

Just quickly downing 6-8 onces of water standing at the kitchen sink a few times a day is easier!!

best!
    julia :smile:
  • westsidee
    Options
    I take Organic Psyllium Husk in powder form everyday. I put the powder into the equivalent of a gulp of water, and skull it before it gets the chance to expand and turn into a gelatin type drink. I've found it has worked wonders for my digestion system, as well as my skin as fiber is really beneficial for good skin. Give it a couple of weeks and you will see results :)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    AND!!!

there are all those studies about how it rid the system of the cholesterol........

:smile:

just something to think about!