Vitamin D, the weight loss vitamin!

Options
2»

Replies

• 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    A good place to research Vitamin D3 is Life Extension magazine, and you can read it online for free! Do a google search for Life Extension, then click on "magazine" When you are there you can search any topic.

They first got me started on D3 years ago. More recently they got me taking D3+K2. The combination drives calcium from the heart (where it does harm) to the bones (where it does good.)

It should be possible to get all the D3 you need from 20 minutes in the sun, without sunscreen (and yes, don't shower afterwards). But as people age they don't process D as well. The supplements are a protection.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've read that the D3 is the best sort to take as it's most easily processed by your body into a usable form. I took 1,000 IU daily for about a year before I had my last blood work done. My level was at 33 which for that test was considered the bare minimum of "normal". So now I've been taking 2,000 IU daily. We'll see how much it improves by next year.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed a megadose of VitD (50,000 units) last year for severe deficiency. I had to take it twice a week for 2 mts. I did notice that my joints felt better where they had been achy and at times quite painful. I stopped after the 2 mts, and the aches came back so I'm back on it again and I can tell a big difference especially now that I'm working out. Hopefully the weight loss benefit will work for me also...good post, thanks!:drinker:
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My level was low also. My Dr. has me on prescription, once a week 50,000 IU of Vitamin D. She also has me on (over the counter) 2000 IU D3 (comes in 1 tablet) daily. But, it is not a water-soluble vitamin; and dioes need to be monitored, as one can overdose on it. However, many women are deficient, currently.
  • k_b_fit
    k_b_fit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After reading this I went to my kitchen, grabbed my stuff (a multivitamin and calcium+D) and it turns out that I'm only getting 600 IU a day! Crazy... here I was thinking that I was getting a good amount.

Eye Opening! Thank you!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    if you want to get loads of vit d eat mushrooms every day they are loaded with it. I put 5 cooked mushrooms and spinach into my breakfast omelet every morning and I have no trouble with vit d.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It can do harm if you get too much. From what I understand is very unlikely to get too much, but do talk to a doctor. If not find out if a local medical lab will do it without a referral (though you'll probably have to pay).

My doctor and every other medical professional I've spoken with have said that you can't get too much vitamin D. The body won't store more than it can use. Excess is flushed from the body through the kidneys daily. Other vitamins can be dangerous in high doses, this one won't harm anything but your wallet if you're taking too much.

That is not true! Although it is very unlikely it is possible to get toxic levels of Vit. D. It is a fat soluble vitamin and is not flushed out through the kidneys... only water soluble vitamins are! A,D,E,K are the fat soluble vitamins and are stored in the body along with the fat you store. B, C are water soluble and excess that the body does not use is eliminated.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My husband and I swear by Vitamin D.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It can do harm if you get too much. From what I understand is very unlikely to get too much, but do talk to a doctor. If not find out if a local medical lab will do it without a referral (though you'll probably have to pay).

My doctor and every other medical professional I've spoken with have said that you can't get too much vitamin D. The body won't store more than it can use. Excess is flushed from the body through the kidneys daily. Other vitamins can be dangerous in high doses, this one won't harm anything but your wallet if you're taking too much.

That is not true! Although it is very unlikely it is possible to get toxic levels of Vit. D. It is a fat soluble vitamin and is not flushed out through the kidneys... only water soluble vitamins are! A,D,E,K are the fat soluble vitamins and are stored in the body along with the fat you store. B, C are water soluble and excess that the body does not use is eliminated.

YES! Thank you for clarifying! I used to work with a guy who was taking over 10,000mg of vitamin E, and I told him that ADEK are all fat soluble, so excess gets stored in your body in the fat cells, and kicks your kidneys and liver into overdrive from excess.

SO, if you are planning to start vitamin D, I agree that the 2000IU is a good number. If you want to go any higher, however, I would consult a registered dietitian.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be careful with any supplements. There is such a thing as too much.....and vitamin D comes in so many different sources.
    Definitely talk to a Dr. or certified nutritionist before starting any diet or supplement.

No offense, but Doctors get minimal training in nutrition. Less than one course for many of them. Unless they have went out of their way to learn more, many of then likely know less than many people on this site. A nutritionist might be a better choice. The warning about supplements being dangerous resounds among doctors, but their have been so few major incidents of overdose of vitamins especially causing death, that I have to question how dangerous vitamin supplements are. Sure, if you take enough, but that is quite a large dose. Be sensible.
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    After reading this I found a Great Article Please Check it Out. Good Luck To you all on your Journey's

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is one thing I am nervous about. I bought a women's once a day vitamin, even asked the pharmacist at CVS if it's ok to take considering it has 200% of your DV. She said it was totally fine. But I've read that too much vit. D gets deposited in your kidney and can cause stones. So I really don't know what to do.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It *is* possible to overdose on vitamin D, as excessive amounts of the vitamin can lead to hypercalcemia, which can cause a number of unpleasant symptoms, the most extreme being kidney damage that may not be reversible. This is nearly impossible from diet and sun exposure alone, but can occur with supplements. Vitamin D has lots of beneficial effects (I don't know about weight loss, but it improves immunity and bone health and may play a part in reducing incidence of cardiac disease and cancer), but too much of a good thing is usually a bad idea. I think 10 000 IU is the upper limit of what is recommended for daily intake. Definitely talk to your doctor though if you aren't sure how much you should be taking :smile: I do take a supplement myself but I think it is closer to 500.

(This information came from lectures specific to Vitamin D as part of a biochemistry course taught by a researcher in this area)
  • Chirrup
    Chirrup Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks SO much for this valuable information! I'm deficient and am taking Viactiv for vitamin D w/calcium but I can see that I'm really falling short of the daily amount I should be taking. I'll boost my supplement accordingly. I do have muscle pain but attributed that to my age (62) -- now I'm encouraged that that might go away, plus my weight loss might increase. Bingo! :-D Again, many thanks!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Chirrup
    Chirrup Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh goodie -- glad to know this, since I love mushrooms! Thanks! :happy:
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I found this to be true for me. Last fall I had blood work done (primarily to monitor my iron levels) and was found to be very deficient with Vitamin D. I was prescribed mega-doses of it (via prescription). This was several months prior to my starting a new healthy lifestyle (such as joining MFP) and was not doing anything special to "fix" my diet or exercise at that time... but I lost about 6 pounds the first month I was taking the supplements (that weight loss is not included in my ticker, by the way).

My doctor said that vitamin D affects the body more as a hormone does, than as a vitamin.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was extremely low on Vitamin D as well and my doctor had me taking 50,000 iu everyday for one month and then 2 x 50,000 twice a month as well as 2,000 iu daily! My doctor said that being Vitamin D deficient can cause many problems such as feeling overly tired and other things I can't remember but I complained of being extremely tired all the time. I don't know if it has helped as I am still taking 2 x 50,000 iu every month and 2,000 iu daily. I will continue to take them so my levels don't dip too low again but as far as losing weight from taking them, I haven't noticed a difference.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I started taking Calcium + vitamin D a little over a week ago and, even though I lost the same amount this week, I have felt much better throughout the day. I have also been much more awake when I wake up in the morning, which says a lot for me considering it used to take me a good 15 minutes to even think about getting up.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be careful with any supplements. There is such a thing as too much.....and vitamin D comes in so many different sources.
    Definitely talk to a Dr. or certified nutritionist before starting any diet or supplement.

No offense, but Doctors get minimal training in nutrition. Less than one course for many of them. Unless they have went out of their way to learn more, many of then likely know less than many people on this site. A nutritionist might be a better choice. The warning about supplements being dangerous resounds among doctors, but their have been so few major incidents of overdose of vitamins especially causing death, that I have to question how dangerous vitamin supplements are. Sure, if you take enough, but that is quite a large dose. Be sensible.

Thank you for posting about the Dr's. My mom is an RD, and she tells me all the time that the Dr's have to come to her for nutrition information. I would be cautious about a nutritionist though, they don't need a degree. Talk to a registered dietitian....it's the safest bet. They have to take continuing education credits in order to keep their registration, and focus only in nutrition.