I want to try eating RAW FOODS!

Options
Hi all!
I'm back on here after many months, and after putting back on my ten kilos! =(
I have just moved to Western Australia from Tasmania and am loving the heat! But have spent the last month feeling bloated and sick and just disgusting to be honest..
Until I went back to eating my daily avocado!!

Which brings me here-

I am a true believer in the healing possibilities of fruits and vegetables but am TOO SCARED TO EAT VEGGIES RAW!
I can't eat anything slimy- yuck! Or with a strange texture lol.
But I want to do this. I want to start out with easy vegetables. I am on a teeny tiny budget unfortunately as I'm currently not working.
Last time I lost 10 kilos in 2 weeks just by changing my eating habits and sticking within my calorie count. I was constantly nauseous before I lost this weight. And by losing so much, so fast, I obviously needed to.
And I need to do it again. And I believe this is the right way!
I am generally a size 10-12aus but with a very yucky, big and jiggly belly.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

Replies

• marapalumbo
    marapalumbo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to eat a raw diet, you must be careful and make sure that you eat enough nuts and other calorie dense foods to maintain the right amount of energy for your body. Also, you'll want to look into taking a multi-vitamin because you might have trouble getting the nutrients from your foods--especially the B Vitamins. Cooking foods helps to release many of these nutrients to your body, so when you go completely raw, you must be very careful about what foods you are eating in order to be safe with your nutrient intake.

You lost 10 kilos in 2 weeks? To me that sounds way too fast and possibly not a healthy amount to lose. It also sounds like you might have lost muscle mass and water weight, not necessarily fat tissue.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    check out some great books like Victoria Boutenko's 12 Steps to Eating Raw. One of her great ideas is green smoothies, which combine fruit and greens and taste fantastic. She is also on the website http://www.rawfamily.com/
    good luck!!
    also, in my opinion you don't need to go completely raw to benefit. you can start with just one meal.
  • Alyssa215
    Alyssa215 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the book "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human." I don't agree with everything in it, but it will definitely give you a very well-rounded understanding of how a raw-foods diet works and why you should be so careful when doing it!
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Cooking foods causes foods to lose many of their nutrients as well though, I think it balances out? I am a big supporter of this! But do your research and make sure you're staying healthy! I found that being vegan is the best way for me to maintain healthy eating habits. MFP helps me track my protein, which is tricky to get at times... but the research is all very interesting! Many pros and cons for raw/vegan diets. Find a hybrid that works best for you! Good luck!

EDIT: Hybrid of raw/non raw, not raw/vegan. Vegan worked best for me after lots of trial, error, and research... something different works for everyone!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    you have to change the way you think. Raw food is not weird texture! If you were brought up on that raw food, processed food would disgust you, right? That's how I got to liking octopus. I was never given octopus to eat nor had ever even thought of eating it until I was 33 years old. I looked at those round suction cups, in my cocktail w/disgust! Then I thought, if I'd never eaten shrimp, I'd think the same thing. It's just that I'd only eaten shrimp but never octopus. I LOVE octopus!!!! In fact, I can prepare it better than anyone I know, even the restaurants! :D

So, enjoy your food!
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Really easy: fruit.

Pretty easy: cherry tomatoes and baby corn, and most "salad". grated carrots and grated cabbage

Still Easy: sugar snap peas and salad onions, baby mushrooms, carrots

harder: asparagus tips and green beans, cauliflower

Hardest: broccoli, cabbage