Water retention in feet

andienoble2011
andienoble2011 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I am on a very strict diet or I feel that I am. My water intake is good and I'm working out 5 days a week. My problem is that I'm retaining water badly in my feet. It only seems to happen in the evening time and I can't figure out why. Also it doesn't seem to matter whether or not I have worked out that day it happens every night.

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    can't see your diary but you may want to check to make sure your sodium levels are not high?
    i have a terrible time with that in the evenings if i have too much sodium.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    What does your sodium intake look like?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I learned during pregnancy that water retention makes your hands puffy in the morning but gravity pulls it to your feet by the end of the day. So in that sense, it's normal that your feet would be retaining water by the evening.

But, you need to figure out why you're retaining water. For most people, the swelling isn't normal. Are you eating a lot of sodium? Are you getting at least 8 glasses of water per day? Are you on your feet for most of the day?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I know, I know everyone here is always saying to drink more water, but I went to a nutritionist some years back and she said 1 glass of water for every 25 pounds of body weight. As long as your getting that I wouldn't stress about drinking more. I won't worry if you did drink more, If you're thirsty go ahead.

Also, check your sodium levels... that would be a reason for retaining water.
  • Mine do the same thing. I went to my Dr and he wasn't concerned but it is rather uncomfortable.
  • andienoble2011
    What should it be? All I could find on the internet was don't go over 2,300 mg
  • andienoble2011
    l
  • andienoble2011
    Lol that's exactly 8 glasses a day for me... that's too funny
    I know, I know everyone here is always saying to drink more water, but I went to a nutritionist some years back and she said 1 glass of water for every 25 pounds of body weight. As long as your getting that I wouldn't stress about drinking more. I won't worry if you did drink more, If you're thirsty go ahead.

Also, check your sodium levels... that would be a reason for retaining water.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Hmm, I'd probably speak to your Dr. about this.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    When I was pregnant I retained water in my feet & ankles. My Doctor recommeded drinking lots of water to flush out the fluid, and to also take time every evening to lay on the sofa and put my feet up on a level higher than my heart. Or lay on the floor and put my feet up on the edge of the sofa. Amazingly, as little as a 1/2 hr with my feet up in the air would make the swelling go down.

But yes, do check what you are taking in for sodium - and if it isn't that - see your Doctor.
This discussion has been closed.