Upper & lower body don't match

Options
I've pretty much met my goal weight and right now my upper body is pretty rockin'. I have a 25.75" waist, I have visible biceps in my arms when I flex, my face is thinner, but my ribs are clearly visible on my chest and my collar bones and shoulders are jutting out so I look almost emaciated. However, my lower body looks like a completely different person. My upper legs are still huge, saggy, and just awful. I run, do lunges, squats, leg raises, you name it, but not much improvement.

I've lost over 80 pounds over the course of a decade and was heavy most of my childhood, so I'm thinking I've ruined myself all those years and have to deal with the consequences of never being able to wear a swimsuit out in public.

Does anyone else who has met their goal weight have this problem?

Replies

• Livie_Marie
    Options
    I can only imagine with the loss/gains over the years when I finally lose weight I am sure it'll be stretch mark city, but you know what I have found is helping it a bit is yoga/pilates. The whole long/lean muscle thing is really making my legs, still chubby, even out alright. Otherwise I am not sure. Do you still have fat in your legs or is it more like loose skin?
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just need to keep losing a little more weight.
    You can't target where you lose it by working those parts of the body......you lose wherever your body decides to lose it.......usually the last parts to go are the first ones you gained.

So.....working out is great, and will help you lose the rest of the weight.......but working your legs won't burn fat on your legs.
  • nikkijedlo
    nikkijedlo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on reaching goal! That's fantastic!
    I feel like I'm always fighting my two halves. Upper tones up nicely and bottom is not proportionate. I keep working those squats, lunges, and cardio, hoping that some day everything will match! :)
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not at my goal weight yet, but I have had that problem all my life, even when I was thin, being a typical "pear" shape. You've got a few options:
    1. Do more weights for your upper body to balance you out, while you continue to tone your lower body. If you build up your shoulder muscles it will help bring balance to your frame.
    2. Go to a professional/trainer
    3. Get liposuction

Even if you lose all the fat, you may still be pear shaped because of overdevelopment of lower body muscles in comparison to the upper body. I know I have this problem from all my years of dancing/cheer. I've accepted the fact that I will always be pear shaped- because I will not resort to surgery- but I just want to be the most healthy, in shape version of my figure that I can have. Good luck with your quest!
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do you still have fat in your legs or is it more like loose skin?

Sadly, I think it's a combination of both.
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can't target where you lose it by working those parts of the body......you lose wherever your body decides to lose it.......usually the last parts to go are the first ones you gained.

So.....working out is great, and will help you lose the rest of the weight.......but working your legs won't burn fat on your legs.

I would like to get down to 110 pounds ultimately in the hopes to have my legs look better (and it's also right smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI for my height). Also, I do weight training, cardio, and running, so I don't just do leg exercises. I know there's muscle underneath, I just want it to show!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    UGH! I have the same problem on with my bottom half being way smaller than the top half! My legs have always been the thinnest part of me and I've always had a chunky face/ arms. I'll probly end up needing to lose more weight than i want to, to try to get the face and arms i want then ill have little bird legs :(

I would like to get down to 110 pounds ultimately in the hopes to have my legs look better (and it's also right smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI for my height). Also, I do weight training, cardio, and running, so I don't just do leg exercises. I know there's muscle underneath, I just want it to show!