Mardi Gras made me do it.

Options
Ok MFP family. My city (New Orleans) just wrapped up a two week celebration of Mardi Gras. While I did not attend a single parade this year I still fell victim to this never ending party. I will take this time to point the fingers at the out-of-town vistors that "forced" me to stray from my healthy way of eating. I blame my friend Donna who drove in from Dallas, TX and made me buy and eat the world famous "Hubigs" pies along with the locally distributed "Big Shot" sodas, and I also blame my dear friends Shelly and Mike who traveled in from Atlanta, GA and "forced" me to eat several pounds of "Boiled Crawfish" (which had way too much sodium) and then they had the nerve to "make me" drink to or three BudLights. Then there was the "Family Breakfast". My neice Aeisha is to blame for that one. She made the menu which consisted of eggs, bacon, breakfast chops, smoked sausage, pancakes, biscuits, hash browns, smothered potatoes, fried fish and last but not least, those darn grits that Auntie Janice had been stirring over a low fire since 5:30am. I guess you know by now that I was also "forced" to eat a little bit of everything that was offered. Finally Fat Tuesday arrived and my family felt compelled to pull the grill out. Need I say more. The only thing that kept me sane through it all was the fact that Mardi Gras ends and "Lenten" (the season of repentance) starts. So now I am back on track and I plan to stay focused and continue on my weight loss journey without anymore distractions. I don't care that the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival is just a few weeks away. I will not give in and I will not entertain vistors from out of town.

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    My wife has always wanted to go. Can we stay with you? Sounds like you ate well.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Im in Lake Charles...I totally KNOW the pressures of Mardi Gras! I locked myself in the house except for one parade where I indulged in 3 screwdrivers :/ I will however be going to the Jazz Festival, I just hope I can keep my resolve while out in public! :laugh:
  • toyoracer08
    toyoracer08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stay strong you can stay on the safe path!..
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    LOL You just cracked me up!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, but shame on all those friends and family members that Forced you to do bad things! hehe
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    What IS Mardi Gras? I've heard of it. No idea what it actually is though!
  • msshaydlady
    Options
    Ok RoadDog, next Mardi Gras is February 21, 2012. Hope to see you and the wife.
  • msshaydlady
    Options
    What IS Mardi Gras? I've heard of it. No idea what it actually is though!

Mardi Gras is a a season of parades held annualy in New Orleans. The last weekend is the biggest with all of the "Super Krewes". Endymion always leads off the weekend on a Saturday night, then Bacchus on Sunday night and then Orpehus (Harry Connick Jr's Krewe) finishes it off on Lundi Gras which is the Monday before Fat Tuesday. Fat Tuesday is the official Mardi Gras day which is headlined by the King of Mardi Gras "Rex" and also the famous "Zulu" parade where everyone vies for one of the famed "coconuts". Google any one of these names and you can see videos of the parades. Everyone should experience it at least once in a lifetime.