Recovering from 800 cals/day Diet -- through running omg?!

Options
Hey guys,

Last summer I stupidly ate around 800 calories every day for a few months and I'm afraid that that has greatly jeopardized my ability to lose weight. When I was eating 800 calories I probably lost like a pound but then the months afterward I didn't lose anything at all (starvation mode awesomeness). I have since gradually upped my daily calories and now it's 1300/day. I'm 5'2" and currently 133 pounds (last I weighed myself on my home scale before spring break).

After a couple months of just counting staying around 1300 calories and not losing anything, I was getting beyond frustrated. I wanted to rip my hair out with MFP's "if everyday were like this, you'd be *** in 5 weeks"--the 5 weeks would go by and the scale wouldn't have moved in the least.

133 pounds is the 'smallest' I've been even on that 800 calorie diet--I was about 138.5 after the holidays and not happy about it at all and...well...I finally started exercising. I really don't have that much time in the semester for me to work out, so I'm kind of losing sleep over it (I get about 6-7 hours), but I think it might be worth it.

I have started running almost a month and a half ago, and my scale at home has gone down from 138.5 to 133, but the scales here at my parents house say I'm 4 pounds heavier! It's disheartening. I'm worried that when I get back to my apartment at school that that 133 was a fluke and despite averaging nearly 3 miles a day I will have actually not lost 'what I should have' at all.

I don't notice much change in my body at all since I started running other than the alleged 5.5 pounds that I've lost since the holidays--I do feel stronger (I can run 2.1 miles straight now whaaat?), and my calves are bigger, which I DON'T want.

Sorry for the rambling, but I guess here at my questions:
1. If I run ~4 miles a day (about 5.5-6mph pace) and stay within my 1300 calories and STILL not lose weight, what the hell do I do?
2. Are my calves going to get smaller instead of bigger at some point?
3. Is working out right before you sleep a bad thing? Before I sleep seems to be the only time I *feel* like working out.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
4. How long is it going to take my metabolism to recover from the 800 caloric intake from last summer?

Replies

• T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    133? I'm an inch taller than you and totally jealous :) I wish I could help, but I would assume that you should have bounced back by that by now. Maybe you should talk to a doctor and figure out why you cant lose? but personally I think you are at a good weight!
  • Ver2
    Ver2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks tsosbe, I might actually have to talk to someone about this if I don't lose in another month of being good and exercising (hopefully I wouldn't have pulled out too many hairs then...).

I have really large thighs and love handles and arms and I don't like them xD A BMI of 22-23 is what I'm shooting for :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Is 1300 the number of total calories you are eating for the day, or are you eating back 1300 calories + what you are burning through exercise? You need to do the latter. If you eat only 1300 total calories, you are still starving yourself. You need to make sure you eat back every single one of your exercise calories.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I'm 99% positive your thighs and love handles are nowhere near as big as you think they are :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweetie! You are going to need to really increase your calorie intake for a while to show your body that you arent going to starve it. I would suggest increasing your calories to a NET of 1400 ... and just see what happens. When your body thinks its starving ... it wont let you lose more weight... much luv :)
  • Ver2
    Options
    I'm eating like half-little more than half of my exercise calories back. Should I eat them all? O_o
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I'm eating like half-little more than half of my exercise calories back. Should I eat them all? O_o

You should try eating them all, at least for a few weeks. You may see some loss as your body adjusts to getting enough nutrition. It may also be that your body just naturally needs more calories per day. I know that if I get less than about 1500 calories I stop losing.
  • Ver2
    Options

You should try eating them all, at least for a few weeks. You may see some loss as your body adjusts to getting enough nutrition. It may also be that your body just naturally needs more calories per day. I know that if I get less than about 1500 calories I stop losing.
    I wish there were a machine that could tell me how many calories I actually need per day :(
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I wish there were a machine that could tell me how many calories I actually need per day :(

I know. It can be frustrating trying to figure it out. But everyone's body is different and it just takes some experimentation. Try eating all your exercise calories for two weeks. If you see some progress, stick with that. If not, try increasing them by 100 for a couple weeks, or try changing up your exercise routine.
  • Ver2
    Options
    It would feel so weird to eat all of my exercise calories because if eating 1300 without exercise makes me maintain, then shouldn't a 1600 calorie minus 300 from exercise still cause me to maintain as well?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It would feel so weird to eat all of my exercise calories because if eating 1300 without exercise makes me maintain, then shouldn't a 1600 calorie minus 300 from exercise still cause me to maintain as well?

Eating 1300 isn't your maintenance calories, I can promise you that. You are only maintaining because your body is still in starvation mode. Your real maintenance calories are probably somewhere between 1800 and 2200, PLUS what you burn from exercise. So your problem is that your deficits are too high for your weight, so your body isn't burning. Eating more will be a good start to jump starting your metabolism.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay attention to your parents' scale. Do they even have a digital scale? Heck my family uses the old spring scales still!

2ndly, I agree with "everyone is different". I seem to do best eating over 1200, under 1300 cals a day, but sometimes I have gone up to 1500 or more. You should probably eat like that....see how you do.

As far as exercise, well you do run, but there's those 10 min exercise things on youtube, netflix and dvds...so that helps with people who have no time.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Eating them back won't make you maintain because there is already a deficit built into mfp's calculations when you set up your goals. I really do think everyone is right and you should up your calories.
  • Ver2
    Options

Eating 1300 isn't your maintenance calories, I can promise you that. You are only maintaining because your body is still in starvation mode. Your real maintenance calories are probably somewhere between 1800 and 2200, PLUS what you burn from exercise. So your problem is that your deficits are too high for your weight, so your body isn't burning. Eating more will be a good start to jump starting your metabolism.
    Hmmm so how much do you think I should net at 5'2" 133?
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I agree!
  • Ver2
    Options
    I wouldn't pay attention to your parents' scale. Do they even have a digital scale? Heck my family uses the old spring scales still!

2ndly, I agree with "everyone is different". I seem to do best eating over 1200, under 1300 cals a day, but sometimes I have gone up to 1500 or more. You should probably eat like that....see how you do.

As far as exercise, well you do run, but there's those 10 min exercise things on youtube, netflix and dvds...so that helps with people who have no time.
    Haha, I'm actually the one with the spring scale because my digital scale kept annoyingly "remembering" previous weights. I calibrated my spring scale with a 20 pound weight though and when I went to the doctors the numbers on the scales were pretty close. I HOPE that my scale is right!
  • anthonybc
    anthonybc Posts: 13
    Options
    Eating 1300 is basically at the minimum. Your body is still probably in starvation mode. Increasing it will help. I know I had that problem for awhile. As far as your thighs, they will probably slim down over time. Look at those old guy runners. Most are ultra lean. It is a matter of keeping up with consistent exercise. Also be sure to give you body time to rest. Rest days are as important as workout days. Many people say not to workout at night. I hear it from many different sources. Yet like you I dont feel like working out in the morning or even afternoon. My suggestion would be to do a short workout in the day time and do the rest at night. Split it up if possible. I noticed that when I workout in the morning and do another at night my body is already warmed up and loose from everything I did throughout the day so I can run even further. Yet everyone is different, but these are some things that have worked for me. I hope you find what works for you :)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    one other suggestion is watch your sodium intake. For the few days I did view in your diary, you have an insane intake of sodium. Try to cut back on the sodium and see if this helps.
  • NoelleW
    NoelleW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am with the other folks on here. If you are exercising daily you need to be eating more. I plateaued a few months back and couldn't get my scale to move until I added food. And alot of food. Be intentional though. Getting Protein and fiber at breakfast will help alot. Don't be afraid of strong grains either. You can have quick oats with milk and nuts every morning...and don't worry you can make them in the microwave...and while it may seem like a bunch of calories all at once it may just be the energy you need.

Good Luck!