Kinect Workout Success?

Options
Hi, i'm new to MFP. My plan is to use MPF in combination with the Weight Watchers diet. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success using Kinect games as their workout. Right now it's my main source of excercise and it feels like it's working. I'm seriously sore after an hour a day for the last 4 days. I'm using a combination of Your Shape Fitness Evolved and Dance Central. Anybody else use this as their main workout and had success??

Replies

• kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    HI! The kinect is my only workout tool also. I have The Biggest Loser and Zumba. I've been on this diet for 2 weeks. The first week I excersied 4 days out of the week and I lost 4 pounds. The second week I lost motivation for excersing and I lost 2 pounds. Let me mention that I was a couch potato. I never did anything but sat on the couch and eat especially on my days off (I work night shift... 2 days on 2 days off). So yeah I would have to say it worked for me. Good luck!

Oh... I use Dance Central and The Biggest Loser the first week. I just got Zumba yesterday and I plan on routating my workouts. I get bored very easily.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yup - apart from a bit of walking every weekday - Kinect is my personal trainer. I've been using Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout and Adventures (Reflex Ridge is a killer).

I've settled back to about 4 to 5 x 30min sessions a week on BLUW + 2 x 30-40min on Adventures. I've just changed it to 3 x 50min on BLUW and still plan on keeping the same for Adventures. So in other words I plan on about 40-50mins of Kinect 5 +/- times a week. So I don't really go for broke but think I'm getting plenty of well rounded activity out of it.

Kinect plus changes in eating from MFP tracking has me down by 4.6 kilo or 10lb in about 6 weeks. Although I lost around 2.5 of that in the first 2 to 3 weeks prior to MFP which I believe is often the case when you first start out. For my time with MFP (25days) I've been consistently losing 1/2 kilo (1lb) a week which is right on track with my plan.

Funny enough my partner and I are also using LiteNEasy meals for dinners weekdays - which is also a calorie controlled meal service in Aus.

I find Kinect brilliant for my needs and keeps me motivated

Cheers & good luck
  • W0zzie
    Options
    Oh yeh - I also have a HRM on it's way to me right now - I'll be using it to track HR & calorie burn for Games/programs that don't include calorie tracking as well as hold the calorie tracking of BLUW accountable to see if it is actually reasonably accurate.
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have one coming to me too! Which one did you get?
  • Tarzi3
    Tarzi3 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey welcome , I am only new too..

Wow all this talk about the Kinect.. I am thinking I might just get one......

Good luck!!

Tara
  • dirtmaster88
    Options
    I also do my exercise with kinect. Jayleegirl, I think you must have read my mind or something! I am also using MFP in combination with weight watchers, and use your shape/dance central! I bought some dumbbell weights to use along with your shape.
  • jleegirl
    jleegirl Posts: 44
    Options
    Wow! That is funny :) So, are you happy with the results that you're getting with the combination?
  • jleegirl
    Options
    Hi Tara, yeah the Kinect is great. I really like the Your Shape game. There is a personal trainer option that is great for me. But really every Kinect game gets your heart going. Be ready to break a sweat and have fun doing it.
  • erothrn
    erothrn Posts: 14
    Options
    Kinect Adventures and Zumba are excellent!!!! Also Dance Central is a blast but I have not used that in place of my exercise routine.
  • jleegirl
    Options
    The HRM sounds like a good idea. I'll have to look into one of those. I wonder how accurate the calorie counter is on the Your Shape game. It seems like the calories burned are a little low.
  • W0zzie
    Options
    @kamechaf - Polar FT7 I looked at the Timex T5G971 too but didn't like some reports on calorie burn accuracy and durability - also not avail in Aus - I still would've got it via Amazon if I really wanted it though. But I decided on FT7 - heard lots of good things about it and 1 of my MFP friends swears by it.

Cheers
  • dirtmaster88
    Options
    Wow! That is funny :) So, are you happy with the results that you're getting with the combination?
    Overall I'm happy so far. Sometimes while playing your shape it doesn't register and says I'm doing the exercise wrong or not in rhythm. When that happens, your calories are not counted as burned. It makes me so mad because I'm breaking a massive sweat and out of breath! For this reason I also am looking at a heart rate monitor. I think it would be a good investment and would give an accurate reading based on your own body. I also enjoy doing many of the other games and it would be very beneficial to track those calories as well!

I need to try adding more lighting in my basement where the kinect is. I was reading up on your shape's website forums and many people have the same issues that I am running into. One of the most common suggestions was to make sure the area you are working out is well lit.