Recovering from 800 cals/day Diet -- through running omg?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Ver2
    Ver2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Eating 1300 is basically at the minimum. Your body is still probably in starvation mode. Increasing it will help. I know I had that problem for awhile. As far as your thighs, they will probably slim down over time. Look at those old guy runners. Most are ultra lean. It is a matter of keeping up with consistent exercise. Also be sure to give you body time to rest. Rest days are as important as workout days. Many people say not to workout at night. I hear it from many different sources. Yet like you I dont feel like working out in the morning or even afternoon. My suggestion would be to do a short workout in the day time and do the rest at night. Split it up if possible. I noticed that when I workout in the morning and do another at night my body is already warmed up and loose from everything I did throughout the day so I can run even further. Yet everyone is different, but these are some things that have worked for me. I hope you find what works for you :)
    If I put on MFP that I want to lose 1 pound/week, it tells me to eat 1200 a day D: MFP is trying to further starve me apparently
  • Carru1
    Carru1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing up your exercise routine. Running is a cardio exercise which means your heart rate is probably up in the aerobic which means it goes into super-efficient-calorie-burning mode. Take that half an hour and do strength exercises instead and keep your heart rate below 150 (like squats, push-ups, burpees) . Not only do you burn calories during the workout but your body uses calories to rebuild the muscle after the workout. Plus, extra muscles ups your metabolism rate meaning more calorie burn. My nutritionist told me not to eat my exercise calories back, but she's familiar with me and my eating plan and exercise plan. So try talking to some of the people down at your school's rec center (think those people who are earning their degrees to be personal trainers and nutritionists). My U offers free appointments for students. Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK!!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you cant use someone elses scale just once.

even if your scales were 100pounds out. if the weight from one week to the next is down 4pounds, then thats what you have lost.

if you then use another scale that is 130 pounds out, you will think that you are 25pounds heavier, but regardless, the 4 pounds lost are still lost. if you then use those scales again and they drop 5 pounts, then you have lost 9 pounds even tho this scale is now showing 15pounds heavier than your home scales, then when you do go home and it is back to the 100 pound out scales, you havent magically lost those 15 pounds.

does that make any sense at all?

if so, can you explain it to me ;D
  • Ver2
    Ver2 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just dread the doctor's scale xD
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    * Eat your workout calories
    * Eat healthier (Mcdonald, or something like that is not good diet)
    * Try to adjust your carb, lower it, up your protein, although I cannot see your protein info).
  • Elli0tt
    Elli0tt Posts: 49
    Options
    I agree with this person on everything, especially on changing up your exercise routine. Instead of running, try elliptical or fast pace stair stepper, aerobics, super sets etc

You should try eating them all, at least for a few weeks. You may see some loss as your body adjusts to getting enough nutrition. It may also be that your body just naturally needs more calories per day. I know that if I get less than about 1500 calories I stop losing.
    I wish there were a machine that could tell me how many calories I actually need per day :(

I know. It can be frustrating trying to figure it out. But everyone's body is different and it just takes some experimentation. Try eating all your exercise calories for two weeks. If you see some progress, stick with that. If not, try increasing them by 100 for a couple weeks, or try changing up your exercise routine.
  • atomdraco
    Options
    Eating 1300 is basically at the minimum. Your body is still probably in starvation mode. Increasing it will help. I know I had that problem for awhile. As far as your thighs, they will probably slim down over time. Look at those old guy runners. Most are ultra lean. It is a matter of keeping up with consistent exercise. Also be sure to give you body time to rest. Rest days are as important as workout days. Many people say not to workout at night. I hear it from many different sources. Yet like you I dont feel like working out in the morning or even afternoon. My suggestion would be to do a short workout in the day time and do the rest at night. Split it up if possible. I noticed that when I workout in the morning and do another at night my body is already warmed up and loose from everything I did throughout the day so I can run even further. Yet everyone is different, but these are some things that have worked for me. I hope you find what works for you :)
    If I put on MFP that I want to lose 1 pound/week, it tells me to eat 1200 a day D: MFP is trying to further starve me apparently

1200 is the very basic calories you need (for a female) to have your organs functioning properly. If you look closely, with the 1200, you may not actually being targeted to lose 1 lb a day. Mine become 0.5 lb, with calorie deficit 240.

Was the 1300 calories for trying to loss 0.5 lb a week? You can start with loss less, 0.5 lb a week. Make sure eat your exercises calories (try to eat them all, so your the end of day balance is as close as possible to the big 0).
  • atomdraco
    Options
    I agree with this person on everything, especially on changing up your exercise routine. Instead of running, try elliptical or fast pace stair stepper, aerobics, super sets etc

Yup, absolutely. Different type of workout will give your body constant shock and not knowing what to expect, so it has to work harder. Adding weight training, even the calorie burn seems lower, but your body keep burning much much longer than cardio alone.

Make sure you get your calories burn reading more accurate too, get a heart rate monitor (Amazon has something, Timex I think, as cheap as $40 or less).