HELP: I NEED HIGH PROTEIN/LOW CAL MEALS!

Options
Any recipes that are tasty and fit my needs, please post! I would much appreciate it!

Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• 1020bridget
    Options
    Any recipes that are tasty and fit my needs, please post! I would much appreciate it!

Thanks!:happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Omelets with eggs, ham, peppers, onions.

Chicken or tuna salad (made with almonds, fat free dressing and onions) open faced on Melba toast

Grilled chicken breast or salmon, with black bean salsa and grilled veggies (black bean salsa- can black beans, can of corn, 1/2 jar salsa- place a spoon full on salmon or chicken and wrap in foil and grill)
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Carb free and fat free protein shake... I have them all the time... great after a workout... and relatively cheap (about $1-$2 per shake if you buy the big canister, and that's much cheaper than a chicken breast!).
    :flowerforyou:
  • 1020bridget
    Options
    Where do you get the shakes? What brand and how much is a canister?

75573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • 1020bridget
    Options
    Omelets with eggs, ham, peppers, onions.

Chicken or tuna salad (made with almonds, fat free dressing and onions) open faced on Melba toast

Grilled chicken breast or salmon, with black bean salsa and grilled veggies (black bean salsa- can black beans, can of corn, 1/2 jar salsa- place a spoon full on salmon or chicken and wrap in foil and grill)

Thanks! I totally forgot about chicken/tuna salad!!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I just read this:

As David Wolfe puts it:
    "The truth is, no one ever suffers from a protein deficiency, and certainly no one ever dies from one. But people die from protein poisoning en masse every day. Heart attacks, strokes, cancer, etc. are all the inevitable results of overburdening the body with cooked animal proteins."

it goes on to say that our bodies aren't made for efficiently getting protein from these sources as well as we can get them from vegetables, beans, nuts.

It's information like this that I find makes me choose more healthy options.
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    Carb free and fat free protein shake... I have them all the time... great after a workout... and relatively cheap (about $1-$2 per shake if you buy the big canister, and that's much cheaper than a chicken breast!).

are they premaid and where can you get them
  • AJCM
    Options
    Where do you get the shakes? What brand and how much is a canister?

75573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal

You can get them at your local health food store, GNC, or even most grocery stores sell them now. I buy Isopure, but there are many varities. Check out your local GNC - they will often give you samples, and even take the product back for a refund if you don't like the taste. I find that they taste like a milkshake. I make it with half a scoop of protein powder (14 grams of protein / 65 calories) and a cup of cold water, add ice, and shake in a martini shaker, then strain. It's quick and tasty.

Everyone is different, but my naturopath (who I see for nutrition) says a woman my size will deal best with 14 grams of protein, or less, per meal (much more is hard on the kidneys, digestion, etc). I try and get that much at each meal, and a little more at each snack.

Good luck!
  • AJCM
    Options

are they premaid and where can you get them

You can buy the pre-made ones, but they are SO expensive! I buy the powder (I like chocolate) and I mix it myself. You MUST however mix and drink - they DO NOT keep at all - it becomes sludge in your glass within about 10-15 minutes!
    :tongue:
  • AJCM
    Options
    I just read this:

As David Wolfe puts it:
    "The truth is, no one ever suffers from a protein deficiency, and certainly no one ever dies from one. But people die from protein poisoning en masse every day. Heart attacks, strokes, cancer, etc. are all the inevitable results of overburdening the body with cooked animal proteins."

it goes on to say that our bodies aren't made for efficiently getting protein from these sources as well as we can get them from vegetables, beans, nuts.

On one hand I hope this to be true, as we are not big meat and / or protein eaters (as a whole family) however I was at a medical conference this summer and one leading US pediatric surgeon / physician was talking about a protein deficiency in American children which is becoming quite serious (think about how many kids eat cereal and starchy carbs all day long).

Body builders talk about bio-availability of proteins, and according to that community, animal proteins are still rated at the top, along with eggs, and then whey coming in next. Just food for thought!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin for later:glasses:
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    Whole Wheat Roll-up 110cal - low carb
    Pizza or Spagetti Sauce
    Chicken Breast cut up on top
    Mushrooms, if you like on top
    Cheese on top
    Heat in oven at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted - LOW CARB and Calorie Pizza - less than 300 calories!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I just read this:

As David Wolfe puts it:

On one hand I hope this to be true, as we are not big meat and / or protein eaters (as a whole family) however I was at a medical conference this summer and one leading US pediatric surgeon / physician was talking about a protein deficiency in American children which is becoming quite serious (think about how many kids eat cereal and starchy carbs all day long).

Body builders talk about bio-availability of proteins, and according to that community, animal proteins are still rated at the top, along with eggs, and then whey coming in next. Just food for thought!
    I've heard the same, but...
    hard to say, considering so many viewpoints. I'm inclined to listen to how my body feels over time.
    Since MFP tracks protein we consume as well, its easy to see the numbers. I'm actually finding myself having the same amount of protein now as I did before, but I feel healthier.

Also, I'm wary of information that is either direct from people who sell products, like whey protein shakes (of course they are going to tout their product)
    was the medical conference sponsored by anyone?
  • AJCM
    Options
    I just read this:

As David Wolfe puts it:

hard to say, considering so many viewpoints. I'm inclined to listen to how my body feels over time.
    Since MFP tracks protein we consume as well, its easy to see the numbers. I'm actually finding myself having the same amount of protein now as I did before, but I feel healthier.

Also, I'm wary of information that is either direct from people who sell products, like whey protein shakes (of course they are going to tout their product)

Hey - I like you - we think the same way! At that same medical conference (not sponsored - it was for a physician association) they noted a study that indicated breast feeding showed no decrease in infant allergies, and therefore, there was no medical indication for physicians to recommend breastfeeding - and my FIRST thought was, "I bet Nestle sponsored that study!" Pfft!

The stats on protein deficiency came out of allergy studies, and was an accidental finding from the control group, of children who ate all foods with no dietary restrictions.

I do a light protein shake (14 grams at a time) and I also really like the Rice Protein Powder (we don't do dairy as a family, however I personally do whey shakes because of the taste - I know, I'm weak - I find the rice needs to be mixed with juice and that ups the cals).

We do not eat a lot of protein, and my kids have allergies, so they don't get any dairy, or eggs, nor nuts or seeds (except pumpkin) so I worry about their protein consumption. We see a naturopathic doctor (also trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine) and she has us all worried about soy (genetically modified, negative effects of hormone synthesis, etc), so I feel like I have a good bit of knowledge, yet I feel I know less than ever! Ha!

I like hearing that the human body doesn't need too much protein!
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    If you want to avoid the heat from the oven. I put a non stick pan on high and spray it with some pam. Let it get hot, slide your "pizza" into the pan, cover, and shut off the burner. In under 5 minutes you have a crispy crust and melted cheese.

We uses this for late night snacks all the time.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Any dinner that contains 4-6 oz. of lean meat (fish, chicken, etc.) and sides of veggies (non-starchy) are going to be low in calories and high in protein.

I like to cook fish in a skillet w 1-2 tbsp olive oil
    season with lemon pepper

Then I add 1 cup baby spinach, onions, tomatoes and about 2 tbsp cashew nuts... it's yum-o!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    the funny thing is the banner for me on this thread is Unjury-medically something something protein!!
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Mm, yeah, the protein shakes are really good in almond milk, gives them a sweeter flavour, for only a few extra calories; much healthier than cow's milk, and much tastier than water.

I heart almond milk. :smile:

I drink Ultimate Protein, Brad King's line, tastes good, gives me energy and keeps me full for a really long time, unlike other proteins I've tried. (And I've tried quite a few, working in health food stores. :tongue: )
  • tookieb
    tookieb Posts: 89
    Options

I just read this:

As David Wolfe puts it:

Hey - I like you - we think the same way! At that same medical conference (not sponsored - it was for a physician association) they noted a study that indicated breast feeding showed no decrease in infant allergies, and therefore, there was no medical indication for physicians to recommend breastfeeding - and my FIRST thought was, "I bet Nestle sponsored that study!" Pfft!

The stats on protein deficiency came out of allergy studies, and was an accidental finding from the control group, of children who ate all foods with no dietary restrictions.

I do a light protein shake (14 grams at a time) and I also really like the Rice Protein Powder (we don't do dairy as a family, however I personally do whey shakes because of the taste - I know, I'm weak - I find the rice needs to be mixed with juice and that ups the cals).

We do not eat a lot of protein, and my kids have allergies, so they don't get any dairy, or eggs, nor nuts or seeds (except pumpkin) so I worry about their protein consumption. We see a naturopathic doctor (also trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine) and she has us all worried about soy (genetically modified, negative effects of hormone synthesis, etc), so I feel like I have a good bit of knowledge, yet I feel I know less than ever! Ha!

I like hearing that the human body doesn't need too much protein!
    We are big red meat eaters in our family. Quite frankly I believe humans are meant to be carnivores. We have binocular vision and canine teeth as well as a digestive system that does not do the best job of processing vegetables something we have in common with all carnivores. I have nothing against vegetarians or vegans, I'm just saying this is a different way of looking at things. For those of us who like our red meat we may have to realize (as I have) that my weight loss may be slower due to the extra calories from this type of diet.