Fat head on Netflix

Options
Anyone seen Fat head on Netflix??? Its a pretty cool documentary... Can you tell me your opinions on that???

Replies

• DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    watching it now... ill let you know!
  • annabelmartinez
    annabelmartinez Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    wow!! What a coincidence..
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    im trying to watch now but it wont let me :(
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It was pretty cool, i'd have to agree,

although I did have a few problems with it.. He was under the control of professionals, and It kinda bothered me that its made for the public. I mean, I know he wasnt saying that its okay to go eat fast food all the time, but I feel some people would use it as an excuse to eat out maybe?

It did have a lot of correct facts and interesting points though, but with that said, there are many problems with the information as well
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You made me look it up and it sounds interesting. Added it to the queue and might have to watch it tonite! I eat fast food almost nightly when I'm at work and have still had no trouble losing weight, so I guess it's all about choices and moderation.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad people are talking about this movie!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    Fat Head was a great movie.

I've been doing low carb since September, and am down almost 50 lbs. When I started, I had high cholesterol, and a fatty liver. Now my cholesterol is perfect, my liver is healthy, and I'm on my way to my goal weight - and all without exercise (as I have some other physical issues to contend with for the time being). I have epilepsy, and it's even totally stopped all seizure activity!

You can look into books by Gary Taubes that go in-depth into the science of how and why low-carb works and is healthy. But I know from experience that it certainly has been great for me, and every member of my family.

The main down side people seem to find is that if you go back to the standard american diet, you will gain back all of the weight, and possibly more. I now view myself as carb-intolerant, so it's a forever lifestyle change for me. :)
  • EricJonrosh
    Options
    You made me look it up and it sounds interesting. Added it to the queue and might have to watch it tonite! I eat fast food almost nightly when I'm at work and have still had no trouble losing weight, so I guess it's all about choices and moderation.

That's one important point he makes. He claims that in "Supersize Me," people are portrayed as being too dumb to realize they're eating high calorie foods. It's like the other half of "Supersize Me" with all the information that was left out.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    is it anything like the movie "super size me"
  • annabelmartinez
    Options
    It really made me think.... I think I may need to be on a low carb high protein diet............ Its worth a shot!!!
    Thanks for all the comments....
  • annabelmartinez
    Options
    @lilwashee: Its similar but in the opposite way............. its interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    It's sort of a response to Super-Size Me, and then some.
  • EricJonrosh
    Options
    It really made me think.... I think I may need to be on a low carb high protein diet............ Its worth a shot!!!
    Thanks for all the comments....

If you do, STUDY UP on it a lot. Some people just waltz out and buy bacon and eggs and cheese. There's a reason saturated fat puts you AT RISK of heart disease. It has to do with damage caused by a high carb, high sugar diet. As a rule, if you're losing 1-2 pounds a week you're doing fine, don't try for more. I'm doing a low carb diet but still counting all calories, unlike Atkins which says "eat all the hamburger with cheese on it that you want." And I still eat around 100 carbs a day of healthy fruits and veggies. Calorie counting will save the day. And refined sugar is completely gone from my diet, since I started on 2/8.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I watched half of it and couldn't take it anymore. I did a thread on this movie as well. I hated how he said that it's "as easy as saying no"... well, some people can't say no. And also, I hated how he kept saying that EVERYONE knows that fast food is unhealthy. I meet people DAILY (and live with one... my boyfriend) who think fast food is perfectly fine for you. I argue with my boyfriend weekly. He always says "it's not junk food, it's FOOD. all if it is just FOOD." and lumps every single food group and item into one category. Some people don't have the knowledge to differentiate what's good for them or not, and sometimes it has to do with their education or where they grew up.

Don't get me wrong, I agreed with quite a few of his points. Like the fast food industry doesn't MAKE anyone eat their stuff, its all our choice, but some of it just made me mad because he was completely off.
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    I like the issue he brought up about the government being so concerned about the rate of obesity in our country, yet wouldn't put in playgrounds, added busses so kid's didn't walk to school anymore, etc. It was pretty eye-opening. That one guy was mad that McDonald's was the only way a child could go and play, and i was thinking, if he was that concerned, he should be writing his senator about putting in more playgrounds in parks LOL. It was all very interesting.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I watched half of it and couldn't take it anymore. I did a thread on this movie as well. I hated how he said that it's "as easy as saying no"... well, some people can't say no. And also, I hated how he kept saying that EVERYONE knows that fast food is unhealthy. I meet people DAILY (and live with one... my boyfriend) who think fast food is perfectly fine for you. I argue with my boyfriend weekly. He always says "it's not junk food, it's FOOD. all if it is just FOOD." and lumps every single food group and item into one category. Some people don't have the knowledge to differentiate what's good for them or not, and sometimes it has to do with their education or where they grew up.

Don't get me wrong, I agreed with quite a few of his points. Like the fast food industry doesn't MAKE anyone eat their stuff, its all our choice, but some of it just made me mad because he was completely off.

if its not easy to say no then people need to learn how to SAY no! we cant expect the rest of the world to be responsibal for our addictions.And if someone dosent know certin foods are unhealthy its really easy to FIND OUT.
    I dont see how he was wrong on anything.If your boyfriend dosent think fast food is bad for you educate him.I have never met anyone in my almost 34 years who thinks that stuff is good for you.And Ive lived in big cities and small towns
    also if someone CANT say no they shouldnt be in a Mc Donalds anyways
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    OK just watched it. Thumbs up from me. Very good info and very thought provoking. It makes a lot of sense. Also very good that he incorporated interviews with many experts in the field and cited his sources.

As he states openly at the end, he's not trying to say that a diet of all fast food is a good diet, just that a diet of appropriate calories that is high in fat is not the culprit for obesity, high cholesterol, and heart disease. Instead, a diet of high glycemic index carbs such as the kind pushed by the government for years, is to blame.