Cheat Day - Consequences??

Options
Soooooo, I have been on MFP for almost six months and faithfully log everything I eat....I have lost 27 lbs and am 4 lbs away from my first goal :)....I have never had a "cheat" day....I have had days I have gone over due to a bad choice or two or not being able to get to the gym (I go 6, sometimes 7 days a week), but never a full blown, planned cheat day...

I am battling with my mind that after 6 months this is ok?? We are having our first potluck at work (I have worked here for 2 years and we have never had a potluck) today and I even helped organize it....Soooooo - it will be almost impossible to log what I eat today if I eat what I want...

So what are your thoughts on cheat days and the consequences? What should I log? I feel I deserve it on one hand, and on the other - I am only 4 lbs away from my goal....

Oh ya - I will still be going to the gym today, tomorrow, etc.......

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Make it a free meal, never a cheat day...even if you stuff your face with potluck, your body is so programmed to burn that it won't even realize what's going on. Aside from sodium, and the bloating/water gain, you will probably see no ill effects.....so treat yourself!
  • auabby
    auabby Posts: 3
    Options
    I think that a cheat day after a long time of being good actually helps boost my metabolism because I tend to lose more weight just following my cheat day.
  • softsmiles
    Options
    I think you will find out that you will make good choices.. log in what you eat, over or under.. stay true to yourself,:smile:
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I agree that you'll find yourself making healthy choices - allowing yourself to have a treat once every six months isn't going to hurt you! I'm guessing that you'll be making something healthy for it - so there's one good thing! Personally I'd have a couple bites of everything that looked good. There's a school of thought that you can have "three bites" of anything - so say you wanted onion rings, but you're being careful with eating - have three. You still get to enjoy the food, but you're not over eating.

Good luck, and have fun!
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your potluck. Your body needs the metabolic confusion. You'll burn it as long as you get right back to it. Log it to the best of your ability so you see what eating like that all the time really means. Leading a healthy lifestyle isn't about total and complete depravation. Keep your head up, be proud of the amazing progress you've made so far and push forward to your final goal!
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sure. But if you cheat, cheat well.

I would, personally, achieve my target first. Then celebrate with a cheat day.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'd enjoy the variety but watch the portions. Guzzle water before the potluck and after. And like someone else said -- make it a free MEAL rather than a free DAY.

Another thing to think about: if you go overboard after six months of being so consistent, even if you don't see consequences on the scale, your body might not appreciate the huge change. When I eat something fried or really rich now, I feel awful for hours afterwards! A bite or two should be enough to get the treat without paying the price in how you feel later. =)

Have fun!
  • Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think that you have done really well. Congratulations on the weight loss. You should try were possible to stick to your diet but if it become impossible to stay under, then don't beat yourself up about it. As you said, you go to the gym 6-7 nights each week.

With regards to logging food religiously, I do this too but find that the phone app is brilliant. This allows you to log food and excercise while on the move if you are not near a computer. I use mine all the time and it syncs brilliantly with the website.

Enjoy your potluck day.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    Congrats on all your weight loss!! That is an inspiration in itself! Just like the others are saying on here, I don't think that a free meal day will set your body off track. If you are really worried about it, have a small healthy snack before your potluck and drink a full bottle of water. You may not be as quick to pig out as you think you will be! Good luck to you and enjoy the potluck!
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    This is what I remind myself of when I have days like this (and I can tell you that you ROCK because I feel like I have days like this weekly!) I saw on Dr Oz that it's actually good to have a day that you "spike" your calories. It definitely has to do with what someone else said about boosting metabolism because I've also had the same thing happen where when I ate like crap one day, I've actually lost weight after it. So enjoy yourself and just know that you're going to be getting back on track the next day. It's when you aren't worrying about it at all that you have to worry. It may actually help you lose the 4 lbs! Good luck!!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days from time to time as well. They are not really a planned thing but happen sometimes when we eat out. Funny thing is, even when I have these days, I just naturally end up making the best choice I can considering the situation. Like you, I may up my workout before or after. It hasn't hurt my progress much, maybe because it's nice to know I can go out, enjoy myself, and not feel that everything is "ruined". I just keep on going the next day. Have fun at your pot luck!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss--and great to see you are almost to goal! I don't think there is any reason to call it a cheat day....it's just going to be a big meal, right? So try to work around it. Eat a normal breakfast. Eat whatever you want for this big potluck, and plan for a light and healthy dinner. Most likely if you eat whatever you want for this lunch you won't need to snack after that.

If you stay on your exercise track and then jump back to routine the next day, it'll all work out great.

I am maintaining, and usually have at least one weekend meal that is humongous. And when I go out to dinner or lunch every so often I don't worry too much about what I'm eating. But....I do adjust my non-splurge meals on that day down, I continue to exercise every day and am back on the normal routine after that. With that, there aren't any consequences--I did this throughout when I was losing too. The highs and lows do even out--you'll see that if you at least attempt to log the splurge meals in. It's if the splurge meals become habit that they tend to take over--but I know that won't happen, right? :smile:

Have fun!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks All :)

I did make a really healthy salad as my contribution, so that is good.

I love the idea about just "free meal" and 3 bites of each thing - I will enjoy my potluck and have a small bit of everything and then will have a nice healthy salad for supper (after the gym of course)

I am also gonig to do the water drinking before as well :)

I think it may be pretty hard to log as I won't know weights (didn't think to bring my weight watchers scale to work)...or the ingredients - but I will try!!

thanks again for the great advice and I am going to enjoy this potluck and plan to make some good choices while doing it!!