For all you shredders.... 30 Day Shred 2010 – Adaptations

Options
Hi,

I did 4 days of the 30 Day Shred without getting much pain or soreness, with a day rest in between. Then while I was doing the 5th day after 2 days rest, I started getting twinges in my knees.

On the 6th day, I stopped after a couple of minutes because the pain in my knees became worse. As the standard advice given by medical & fitness professionals is to stop (the particular) exercise when you feel any discomfort or pain.

The pain in my knees is not a severe pain... just twinges that I never had before.

I like the shred because it incorporates traditional strengthening exercises (push ups, lunges, etc.), but I don't want to do any permanent damage to my knees.

So, I did some (google) research, to see if I could find a way to still follow this exercise plan - and I thought I would share what I found to help anyone else with the same problem.

http://www.theshredheads.com/2009/12/the-30-day-shred-2010-adaptations.html

Hope it helps....

BTW - I don't plan on starting the shred again (with adaptations) until the pain in my knees completely goes away.

Replies

• mommasamfa
    mommasamfa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'd actually not wait until the pain subsides myself. I'd go see a doctor before starting it up. Period. As a person with permanent knee damage, that's nearly irreversible, you don't want to do anything to your body that will mess it up. Your body is trying to tell you something. Listen to it.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'd actually not wait until the pain subsides myself. I'd go see a doctor before starting it up.

Thanks for the advice, but I know what the doctor will say... that I've just strained it & to rest. Which I'm kind of doing, by not doing any high impact exercises. The doctor's I've come across, always want to see a specific ailment before they will consider doing any further investigation.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I hurt my knee last year then tried doing the 30d Shred and couldn't so it is still sitting waiting, calling me to use it. Now maybe I can :wink:
    Good Luck on your journey
    Mary
  • youcanhumpmyleg
    Options
    I posted something the other day about my knees, they just seemed sore, i started the shred and they were ten times worse so iv given it up, i only managed two days, ive been doing lighter exercises and my knees are miles better : )
  • mommasamfa
    mommasamfa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I wouldn't chance the safety of my knee. But then again, like I said, I know what it's like to not be able to walk fast, run or jump because I didn't get my knee taken care of. I would just hate to see that to someone else. Just because it's happened once before doesn't mean it's always the same thing.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I did No More Trouble Zones on Saturday - slightly modified the lunges (static - no stepping back/forward & not so deep)... and I loved it....!

I was dripping sweat so much at the end.... and now I can feel a nice soreness in the muscles I worked.

I thinl NMTZ is a good strength training DVD, so I'm going to alternate this with Turbo Jam (for my cardio).