Working out at home - no shoes

Options
Alright people, this is a bit of a weird question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I've recently starting doing some exercise DVDs at home in front of the TV on the carpet. However, I've been taking my trainers off and doing it barefoot or with socks on. I just feel a lot more comfortable without shoes! I used to do ballet when I was young and ballet shoes provide no support for the ankles, and that was never a problem.

Exercise gurus - tell me - is going shoeless a really stupid idea? Or will I be fine?

Leila

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    My mother and father in law have done Slim in 6 for years at home and they don't wear shoes. I've done Turbo Jam for over 4 years now and shoes are a MUST, its high impact. It depends on the exact workout you are doing. Let us know what you are doing…..
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts barefoot. I can't see how it could do any harm. Nothing is more natural than barefoot.
  • tvaye10
    tvaye10 Posts: 19
    Options
    I do the same thing...in socks or barefoot except when I'm on the elliptical trainer.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a mix of things - obviously no problem with weights, situps etc etc. Some aerobic exercise but yet to get up my energy enough for it to be v high impact. I guess as long as my ankles/feet aren't hurting then its ok?
  • Meghann218
    Meghann218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thats a good questions, I do the same, I dont wear shoes either!! I like it better inside without them one!
  • youcanhumpmyleg
    Options
    i take my trainers off too
  • ashandbensmom
    Options
    When I am on the carpet I go barefoot. The friction my shoes makes on the carpet is very uncomfortable. I also ride my recumbent bike barefoot a lot as well.
  • AmyQwith2
    AmyQwith2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm so glad you asked this - i'm doing insanity and even though it's higher impact i think i'd do much better without shoes - i'm not a shoe person! LOL - and i'm doing it on carpet and some of the moves are harder with the friction of shoes on carpet...i wonder if i should try it without shoes...
  • lisastevens27
    Options
    I do mine shoeless except the cross trainer cos that hurts your feet. I even walk on my treadmill shoeless. Do it however you feel comfortable

Lisa
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    I have to wear shoes or have a yoga mat because If I go bear foot on carpet me feet slip.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to workout barefoot all the time. I saw those articles about the barefoot runners, etc, and thought why not. I prefer it. However, I started having really bad pain in one foot and ankle after about a month.

I hobbled to an ortho who told me barefoot is BAD. Unless you have perfectly shaped and flexible feet (most people don't), you need the shock absorption and support of shoes - even on carpet. My foot is still messed up after over a year and the only thing that helps is steroid injections.

I bought a pair of shoes specifically for working out in the house (so they're not dirty). It is definitely easier on all my joints when I wear them. I wear them any time I do anything cardio. Weights and yoga, I'm still barefoot.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out barefoot too, however, I know it's better for your feet and legs to have good support. I don't like shoes because they make my feet sweat so much..and then I get hotter :) So, my husband turned me on to under armour shoes because they have a light cloth and then a mesh over them so your feet can breathe, and you don't get as hot.

Good luck! But I'm pretty positive it's better to wear shoes for support...now if I only follow this myself :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire without shoes on my carpet and miraculously all my knee and foot pain I use to get have completely gone away!