Scale won't move

Options
I've been logging food, and doing C25K faithfully, so why haven't I lost any weight in over a month?! I don't get it. I'm bustin my butt and being very good about staying under my calorie goal. So why has the weight stopped coming off?

Replies

• max4pups
    max4pups Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You may have pushed your body into lowering it's metabolism. Here is some food for thought for you.I'm in your boat and working now at getting back on the right track.

From: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    The Weight Loss Plateau

Over time our bodies adapt to the lowered calorie level. Our body becomes more efficient at using energy (lowered metabolism), and therefore burns less fat.
    This is why most of us reach a weight loss plateau. At this point, the only option is to boost metabolism; increased cardio, weight training, 'cheat' meals (i.e. occasional high-calorie meals), cycling (or zig-zagging) calories, and even manipulating macro-nutrient ratios can all help to do this (don't forget adequate sleep and hydration). You often find that the nearer you get to your goal weight (or body fat percentage) - the harder things get!

Continually dropping calories only serves to lower metabolism even further - the moment you return to 'normal' eating - the weight comes back on.

also:
    What happens when calories are too low?

1) Muscle mass is broken down for energy (catabolism).
    2) Metabolic rate will begin to drop (typically) after 3 days of very low calories - this is related to, and compounded by the loss of muscle mass.
    3) With very low calories you risk sluggishness, nutritional deficiencies, fatigue, and often irritability. You are completely set-up for a regain in fat if you suddenly return to your previous eating patterns.
  • klt1984
    klt1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time every week and on the same scale? Also, are you drinking enough water? I know everyone says it, but I can tell you from experience that hydration is a KEY factor in weight loss. Also, what are you doing as far as a workout? If you're doing strength training just remember.. muscle weighs more than fat. You'll get there. Stay positive!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    what kind of food are you eating? Are you still eating a lot of processed foods? What is your sodium intake like? Are you staying under 1200? Maybe increase your intake to 1400.

Perhaps a change in what you are eating may help. Sometimes, we can be within our calorie range but are still eating crap. This just isn't about calories (though it is a major point).
  • tinaharrison1
    Options
    I;m not sure what C25K is but make sure with your food that you are reading labels to make sure that it matches what is in the database. I have found with a few things that the database is inaccurate.
    It could also be a plateau try switching up your workout or tweaking your food a bit. Its hard to tell whats up without knowing more about you...but then again I'm not a professional.

Good Luck!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and the scale finally moved this week. Originally I set my weight loss goals to 2lbs a week, I'm 5'7 started at 161. DId some research on here and realized that I needed to increase my cals and decrease my weekly goal. So I changed my goals to lose 1 lb per week. It seemed crazy to increase my cals from 1,200 to 1,430 and lose weight, but I did. My body was starving and not losing weight. So far this weight I have lost 2 lbs, after being stuck for 5 weeks. Try this and see if it helps, again I know it sounds crazy.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no weight loss for a month can be from a) not being precise about your food logging/weighing/measuring and just estimating serving sizes AND/OR b) overestimating your calorie burn from exercise AND/OR you've been dieting for too long and your metabolism has adapted AND/OR your goals are not realistic for how much you need to lose. I suggest that you weigh, measure and log every item that passes your lips, and buy a HRM so you know exactly what you're burning while exercising and try a few days or weeks at maintenance before dropping back down to a deficit (be sure to work your way up to maintenance slowly - ie: +50 calories per day). And finally, reevaluate how much you have to lose and whether your goals currently are reasonable. For example, if you only have 15 pounds to lose, you are not going to be able to lose it in 1 month, it will likely take you many months because you're so close to your goal.
  • sgirl29
    sgirl29 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know it's weird but you may not be eating enough.... If you are always under in calories your body might be in starvation mode. Plus with regular exercise you have to be sure you eating enough. .. I to was at a plateau until I started eating my recommend calories. Also are you drinking enough water? Good luck, don’t get discouraged!
  • cerferchick
    Options
    I measure EVERYTHING. I put all my meals into the recipe calculator so i can be as accurate as I can with that. I make sure I have fruit or veggies with every meal. I jog 3x/week.
  • cerferchick
    Options
    I know it's weird but you may not be eating enough.... If you are always under in calories your body might be in starvation mode. Plus with regular exercise you have to be sure you eating enough. .. I to was at a plateau until I started eating my recommend calories. Also are you drinking enough water? Good luck, don’t get discouraged!
    I'm never more than 500 cals under my goal. and I drink 2 32 oz containers of water a day.
  • cerferchick
    Options
    In my experience, no weight loss for a month can be from a) not being precise about your food logging/weighing/measuring and just estimating serving sizes AND/OR b) overestimating your calorie burn from exercise AND/OR you've been dieting for too long and your metabolism has adapted AND/OR your goals are not realistic for how much you need to lose. I suggest that you weigh, measure and log every item that passes your lips, and buy a HRM so you know exactly what you're burning while exercising and try a few days or weeks at maintenance before dropping back down to a deficit (be sure to work your way up to maintenance slowly - ie: +50 calories per day). And finally, reevaluate how much you have to lose and whether your goals currently are reasonable. For example, if you only have 15 pounds to lose, you are not going to be able to lose it in 1 month, it will likely take you many months because you're so close to your goal.
    [/quote

I am no where near my goal! I have lost 10 pounds. My goal is 150! And I measure EVERYTHING!