Lunch at the Indian Restaurant

Options
Looking for some HELP, please?! Is anyone familiar with East Indian cuisine? I am having lunch this afternoon with my colleague (who can turn down free lunch?) but I need some help making a good choice. They serve rice and bread, chicken, lamb, beef, goat with curries and chutneys. Anyone have a simple solution so I can have a delicious and satisfying meal while feeling good about sticking to my weight loss goals?

Any and all help/suggestions/etc are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Maybe choose something that is dry like Tikka Chicken and have salad (ours comes with salad. Or get something in a tomato based sauce, Jalfrezi?

I wouldnt go for Korma, and would stay clear on naan breads.

I love indian but hardly have it as my boyfriend doesnt like it. Have a nice meal.x
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Anything tandoori (dry baked) - I like the fish, prawns and the chicken

Plain boiled rice - no naan or fried rice i'm afraid....
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I LOVE indian food. I recently had some with my friend and the calories weren't that bad. There's chicken tikka masala ( chicken in an orangey kinda sauce...around 200cals per serving) and then there's chicken makhani (which is chicken cooked in butter and not very healthy so stay away from that) I'm sure the lamb is around 200 cals too and the rice is fine in moderation. Also stay away from samosas (little triangle appetizers) they're really high in fat and calories.

MFP has stuff in the database.

have a good lunch :)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Actually - the really tough thing is that (in the UK) the portions are HUGE - find a way to control that and you will be fine :)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Scale down your portions greatly and remember a lot of indian foods tend to be dairy based (it helps with the flavoring and thickness). Look for dishes that aren't dairy based (i.e. chicken tikka masala is awesome but a killer) and more veggie based. Drink plenty of water through out and do not intake too much bread as its probably loaded with butter.
  • caboeyes
    caboeyes Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks all so much for your advice. I'll probably have them deliver me a to-go box with my meal so I can split it up immediately (otherwise I tend to just keep on eating until I'm miserable. But I do intend to enjoy my lunch. Cheers!
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat Indian once/twice a wk. You are welcome to look at my diary for ideas. :)
  • caboeyes
    caboeyes Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you Wanda. Much obliged!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Beware of the sauces! There are absurd amounts of ghee (clarified butter) in them.