do you think its a good idea...

Options
to up my calories a bit?

im 5'4 130 lbs...started at 150. ive been stuck at 132-130 for almost a month now. i eat around 1200 cals a day as well as exercise cals. usually walk for about 30-45 mins 5x a week and go on bike about 3x a week as well. im starting to get really frustrated...im not expecting to lose 2 lbs a week...i know when you have less to lose it takes a lot longer.

so anyone have any suggestions?
ive seen upping calories, changing exercise (which isnt an option due to my screwed up knees), cheat days to trick your metabolism, eating different foods, ect ect.
whats worked for you guys?

i think i may try to bump my cals up to around 1400 or whatever it says to lose .5 lb a week. and see how that helps.

Replies

• andnothinghurt
    Options
    to up my calories a bit?

im 5'4 130 lbs...started at 150. ive been stuck at 132-130 for almost a month now. i eat around 1200 cals a day as well as exercise cals. usually walk for about 30-45 mins 5x a week and go on bike about 3x a week as well. im starting to get really frustrated...im not expecting to lose 2 lbs a week...i know when you have less to lose it takes a lot longer.

ive seen upping calories, changing exercise (which isnt an option due to my screwed up knees), cheat days to trick your metabolism, eating different foods, ect ect.

i think i may try to bump my cals up to around 1400 or whatever it says to lose .5 lb a week. and see how that helps.

• dani728
    Options
    ive heard that eating different foods can really help because it's like your body has to "wake up" and get metabolizing. when you eat the same foods over and over all the time your body could develop like a cheat sheet to know how to process those foods using the least amount of energy, so a new food would be a bit of a challenge. hope that helps! :wink:
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    Perhaps try different exercises to change things up a couple times a week. Kickboxing or something like that. :) Just a thought.

Do you do any weight lifting?? THat would probably help too!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    to up my calories a bit?

No way should you be at 1200 given your age and small amount to lose. You should be eating at least 1400 a day and 1/2 a pound a week should be the max you should be trying to lose. 1200 calories is an extreme really for thsoe with a lot to lose.

Please read the posts below to help explain this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I was losing steadily (and quickly) eating 1200 cals a day... then PLATEAU of the worst kind!!! I upped my exercise AND my calories, and was eating around 1700 cals a day (and burning at least 500 from exercise daily) and I started losing again (slowly this time though - about 1 lb a week).

In an average day (at 130 lbs) you probably burn around 1500 cals, right? So if you exercise and burn 500, you would stand to lose 1 pound a week if you upped your cals to 1500. You might want to only create a deficit of 500 cals a day, and you might go back to losing.

You can also change up strenght training to rev your metabolism again - different weights, or a different series of moves (that wouldn't involved your knees per se).

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals a little because I realized I may not be eating enough for the intensity of cardio I've been doing.

I stopped losing when I started recumbent bike, so I tossed that and switched back to elliptical.

It took about a week for my body to respond to these. Not sure if that's what the answer was for me, this time around, but it sure does look like the scale is once again headed in the right direction.

But remember, I'm only goaling for a .5lb loss per week. YMMV.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would up my calories and exercise a little and maybe even throw in a couple of 1800 calorie days here and there.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    ive heard that eating different foods can really help because it's like your body has to "wake up" and get metabolizing. when you eat the same foods over and over all the time your body could develop like a cheat sheet to know how to process those foods using the least amount of energy, so a new food would be a bit of a challenge. hope that helps! :wink:
    same with exercise. Your body hates routine. It needs to be thrown off track every then and now to keep it on its toes(no pun intended)
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I agree with strength training, muscle helps burn fat quicker.
    Im not so sure you should bulk up on calories again...
    Maybe work a program so that your body doesn't get too used to a pattern.
    Work out longer on somedays (eating the exercise calories) and shorter on others (to let your body rest from the grueling long days)
    Eating at different times, or smaller meals at shorter intervals has worked for several out there too.
    Maybe try to stick to a stricter diet for 2-3 weeks and see if you can get a change.
    Hope this helps.
  • andnothinghurt
    Options
    thanks so much everyone...really good suggestions here :bigsmile:

im def. going to change things up...eat more (which im beyond happy about bc 1200 is getting way too hard to do), find some new exercise involving strengthening, and change up meals and foods and such. and hopefully ill see 129 soon.
  • fit_amy
    Options
    I would try some interval training too! Do you wear a HR monitor? Try working out really hard for 1minute, then medium for 2 minutes, and back to hard for 1 minute, etc. I'd also mix up the length of time you work out. For instance, work out 60 minutes 3 X week, and through in one 45 minute stint in the middle of the week.
  • fit_amy
    Options
    also, just wanted to add that it takes time, and to be patient with yourself! It has been a slow road for my weight to come off (5'2" small frame, starting at 138, current 126, would like to get to 120). I think since we are shorter and have a relatively smaller amount of weight, it takes longer? Anyway, I tell myself that because it comes off slower, it'll stay off longer! Who knows if my belief is true--it makes me feel better! :flowerforyou:
  • fit_amy
    Options
    and through in one 45 minute stint in the middle of the week.
    ARGh I mean THROW in one 45 minute stint